PDA

View Full Version : New Buell owner: Nails are a pain in the a**!

xb12rnoob
03-12-2009, 08:25 AM
First off, this site and it's members are great, lots of helpful stuff. I've been a lurker for awhile and I've finally decided to introduce myself. I've had several bikes but this is my first Buell and I'm loving it! White/Blue '09 XB12R. Just hit 3K miles. The name's Nelson, I'm 34,program director at a local college, work in a medical reference lab at night, and I live in PHX, AZ. I have an 08 Honda s2000 and a truck that don't get too much use since the 'bolt's arrival...

Well, I went out to my garage yesterday to go for a ride. When I sat on my bike it sort of went 'squish' underneath me. On further inspection I found a nail in my back tire. I called the HD dealer where I bought the bike and they quoted me $350 to get a new tire put on. Does this sound reasonable?
One more question, how do I get the bike there? It took a few days to go flat so could I put some fixa-flat in it and ride it there, or is that just a bad idea? I hate sounding like such a noob, but i"ve had bikes for 15 years and have never had a flat! Thanks for any help....

strmvt
03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't put fix-a-flat in any motorcycle tire best bet it to try and plug it. I wouldn't risk just pumping it up and hope it holds until you get there you don't have 3 other tires to ride on it's just to risky. When you bought the bike did you get he tire hazard protection? I did and it has already saved my $$$ Ask if the dealer can come pick it up and check into the tire hazard protection.

Stevenc150
03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd put mine in the back of the truck and haul it in if I couldn't take the tire off....course that depends if you have a truck.

Seen lots of people riding with plugged tires. I figure as long as it's in the middle of the tire and not the sidewalls where your cornering would be affected, you're probably good. Could also go the vulacanizing route, they fill the puncture with rubber compound, heat so it mends with the rest of the tire; almost as good as new then. Or just get a new tire if you prefer.

Either way, welcome to the Forum! Congrats on being a new Bueller. Glad to have you.

squiers007
03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
$350 to put on a new tire is a joke. Ask them how much it will cost to simply remove and mount a new tire and then buy the tire you want off the internet. My dealer had no problem mounting tires that I had brought in myself for about $65 a wheel. Hopefully your dealership isnt a bunch of a-holes, and good luck. BTW, since you already have a truck I would just put it back there and drive it to the dealer, that way you dont press your luck by riding on it. Hope this helps and Welcome!

ophawk
03-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the Party,
I would also put it in a truck, if you don't have the capability to get the wheel off personally. Cyclegear has reasonable prices but you have to have the wheel off for them the last time I checked. I have had real good luck with RideNow Motorsports at 17202 N. Cave Creek Near Bell. They put the rear on my bike for around $200, and they removed it.
What part of town do you frequent? I'm up in North Scottsdale near the Airpark.

maybebuell
03-12-2009, 09:18 PM
fill the tire and plug it gas stations have compressed are look like propane tank fill the tire then plug it see how it goes....always had luck with plugs

Midnight82
03-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I've always avoided plugs in motorcycle tires. It very well could get you to the stealership without any issue. But god forbid that plug goes out.... Riding a motorcycle and having a blowout sucks. it's happened to me twice now here in Phoenix. There's something about this heat that doesn't like motorcycle tires. ;-)

I'd haul the Bad Dog in with your truck, or rent a trailer for Uhaul, they're like $30 for 24 hours.

Ride safe

keisersozae
03-12-2009, 11:01 PM
i always plug. never had a problem.

here is where i bought my last tire.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

great deals.

if your going to replace the tire, the most cost effective way is to remove the old wheel and tire yourself, buy the tire yourself, and take it to be mounted at your local sportbike shop, not the dealer. most shops will charge you $25-$35.

dave_xb12r
03-12-2009, 11:12 PM
This happened to me at about 2000 miles on my bolt. My dealership does free pick up and drop off with any service. You might want to inquire about that. They charged me $300. $225 for the diablo corsa III and $75 for labor. I felt that that labor was a bit high, but they did pick it up and drop it off for free, so it was worth it.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the Buell family and the Buell XB forums! We only have one rule on here. You HAVE TO convince a friend to buy one too! :p

xb12rnoob
03-21-2009, 06:14 AM
Thaks for all your help. I think I'm going to order the tire and haul the bike in with my truck (maybe the uhaul trailor,) or i may see if one of my buddies can help me remove the back wheel. Is there anything I should be careful of when doing this?

I live in Surprise ophawk. I've been to Ridenow to exchange some gloves I bought; they were great. Took them back, no package, no receipt, used, no questions.

Fock347
03-21-2009, 08:19 AM
ive always changed my tires myself, its not that hard. a good shovel and a tire iron and your set, and to balance it 2 jack stands and a torpedo level and the axle. why pay a recockulus price for somthing you can do your self but are too lazy to do it. thats how i see it.

09XB12R
04-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Ended up removing the back wheel and taking it to cycle gear to have a new one put on. Good guys down there. Lucky I have a buddy that went to MMI to help me out. 200 for the tire 25 to mount it. I bought the road hazard warranty too. Good deal. Thanx for the advice, guys!