PDA

View Full Version : new blaster issues

buellster85
02-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Alrighty so im new to the forums but not new to buells i helped rebuild my old mans xb 2 times! He is known as (thrstmech) on here. I bought a blast a few weeks ago in pretty sad shape, by sad i mean spray painted hacked up sun faded etc. Anyways i have since pulled her completly apart with the help of my dad and we have found minor problems along with severe carbon build up on the piston and head. The carb has had work done to it most likely rejetted, fuel elbow replaced with max flow elbow and adjusted for the v&h pipe. Whats the best route to take to get the build up off? I have done searches around but seeing what some people are suggesting (mist water/seafoam into carb)i want other options and or opinions. The cylinder seems to be fine i can still see factory hone marks and such, the underside of the piston is really clean no damage at all havnt looked at the rings yet. Sorry for a long post just wanted to give some background on the bike and such. Hope someone can help out. Thanks!

thrstrmech
02-03-2014, 10:57 PM
still a half Buell:p

Shawns
02-04-2014, 01:06 AM
You can soak the carb in a pail of carb cleaner. Did that with my old 01 zr7s and it seemed to work well. Just remember to take pictures of each step of removal for assembly later. My neighbor didn't and it took me a while to figure out where some of his parts went.

BuellyBagger
02-04-2014, 11:34 AM
How much would it cost in parts (gaskets etc.) to pull the little booger apart and re-ring it throw all new gaskets at it? and of course clean up and re hone the cylinder and clean the carb. If its not alot in gasket money and you've got the time, why not? Then you know exactly what you have and you're starting fresh.

That being said, im sure it'd be just dandy to seafoam the crap out of it and clean the carb up and get it set right. Its really a matter of how much time you want to put into i think.

buellster85
02-04-2014, 02:45 PM
After talking to rev performance and nhrs i will be sending the head in to get a valve job carbon cleaning and seal reserface. 50 smackers isnt a bad investment for that. Thanks for the responses !

Shawns
02-04-2014, 09:18 PM
True that:D

jetlee
02-18-2014, 03:37 PM
You'd be better off with Hammer Performance doing the machine work. NRHS got their reputation when Dan Norlin and Aaron Wilson owned it; they're now the owners of Hammer. Daniel Dunn has muffed several head jobs on Blasts in recent years.