PDA

View Full Version : buying an XB12s

doofwop
05-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Hello All,
Been thinking about a motorcycle for a while- always loved the Buell design and have researched it as thoroughly as I can. I think it might be the bike for me. However- my only riding experience is 80-250cc motocross, ATV, 50cc scooters and commuting to work every day on a bicycle in DC traffic. In those conditions I am pretty competent, never crazy or stupid. Had a bad accident when I was an adolescent on my YZ80 and broke my collarbone and wrist in 2 places. That's the only bad spill I've taken, and sure learned from it, however street is a different story. Do I have what it takes to ride this bike? Am I at risk of posing here?
I've wanted one for a while, my father used to ride a Gold Wing with his second wife, now he's older and timid about cycles in general and advises me against it. His explanation: the other careless drivers on the road. They cannot be predicted. I do not want to die on a motorcycle! I don't even want to lay one down period.
Girlfriend loves to ride on the back of bikes though! She takes rides on other dudes' bikes all the time. Now I just GOTS ta have one. She has hinted that I should get one, but I wanted one anyway.
I'm sure my scenario is pretty common, but I don't want to go out and buy some used 650 and suffice to daydream about the bike I really want. So- advise me, I'm 5'7 1/4" I weigh 155lbs and run 6miles/day and lift also but I'm not Arnold. Am I wise in doing this??
Since I do ride a bicycle every day to work in street traffic, I'd wager that you can die on a bicycle same as you can on a motorcycle. I got hit by a cab about 6 mths ago, Lincoln going 40. Broke my wrist again. Help me make the right decision.

mrdozer2you
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Your father is right, you do have to be careful of others. Im sure everyone on here has horror stories about close calls with cages. But if you are cautious you can avoid putting yourself in dangerous situations.
On that note a Buell is perfect for you. Have you sat on the xb12s? Maybe try to find a xb12scg and see if you feel more comfortable on that one. It sits a bit lower than the standard S. Although you can get a lower seat for the standard S. I'm 5'10" and ride the xb12ss and am almost flat footed. If I was riding in heavy traffic alot I think I would get a lower seat so I can have my feet down comfortably in in traffic jams.
Other than that they are great bikes and I have loads of fun on mine. But riding a passenger is not really comfortable on long rides, on any sportbike for that matter.

doofwop
05-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks- I suppose I am going to have to go out and try one. Anybody know the best dealer in the DC area?
I'm not buying the bike to do long rides on, as I don't think an XB is the best bike for that anyway.
However I do wish to take as many precautions as possible to prevent myself from becoming an organ donor.

onebadblaz
05-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I ride my xb12s all over and on long rides to me it's very comfortable and I'm 5'11"-6' and 185lbs. You being shorter you might want to check out the scg bike like said above. Though If your going to be leary on it with wrecking maybe you should shy away from a bike in general...You need to be comfortable while riding or you may be sketchy and then an accident may happen? I'm not tryn to deter you from getting a bike...it just depends how leary you are? You will get more comfortable with the more time you get on the bike also.

doofwop
05-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Yep I agree- can't be nervous or you'll make mistakes. However, I have always been a bit of a two-wheeled man my entire life, so I'm hoping that would help me in some small not-insignificant way. I'll go and try one out.