PDA

View Full Version : 2005 XB9SX Super Part Out (MARCH 2014 UPDATE)

defconjuan
03-01-2014, 11:30 PM
My beloved 2005 XB9SX (~18K) is up for a complete part-out. I love this bike, but I'm getting a more wife-friendly bike this year. The only things wrong with the bike are (1) the fuel pump needs to have one of its wires re-insulated (or you can replace the whole pump), (2) one of the rear header studs needs to be either drilled out or removed with an EDM, and (3) the fuel line clip broke when removing it. I have the replacement stud, and have already replaced the other 3 while doing other maintenance including wrapping the headers and replacing the rocker cover seals. But alas, it makes no sense to spend $1,500 putting this back together (new pipe, fixing rear stud, new fuel pump, new belt, new fuel line, and completely re-assembling everything) when I'd sell it the moment it was ridable. My loss is your luck!

http://www.gohernandez.com/05.jpg

http://www.gohernandez.com/06.jpg

High resolution images (152 in all) can be found here (https://plus.google.com/photos/112035643688483013178/albums/5985957829682386625?authkey=CNHU4Lyr4oC6UA). Please reference the image name when you contact me for dibs. I had a similar post here (http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sale/Buell-Parts-for-Sale/2005-XB9SX-Super-Part-Out---ALL-PARTS) when I was considering parting this out last November. If you posted dibs in the comments there, I'll do my best to give you dibs—just mention/reference your previous dibs.

Some Notes:
*The bike is in Chicago-land. I'll meet people if its convenient in Chicago or Northwest Indiana.
*The Jardin exhaust is not for sale... the packing fell out and it has a crack
*I'd ideally like to sell the engine and trans as one unit
*Preference goes to people buying whole parts in sets—the less dis-assembly I have to do, the better.
*The tires are new Dunlops with less than 500mi
*I have 2 ECMs (1 is race-programmed, I have to USB-ECM cable)
*I have the OEM mirrors (the ones pictured are after-market)
*I have a spare set of race tires, one of them was patched professionally (they have tons of tread left)
*This has an installed and working HID kit with custom relays (I was an auto-alarm/electrical technician in a past life - everything is heat shrunk)
*Yes, bags are for sale also. I actually have two complete sets. The second, nicer set was a more recent purchase.
*I also have the gas-mask for the gask-mask mod (I was going to do it this winter)
*I also have a black translucent touring windscreen
*There's a K&N filter and open filter mod
*It has a crank-case breather mod with catch-can
*PCV breathers and gromets are new
*Rocker box gaskets are new (hey -- the engine was rotated, you might as well)
*I have new premium plugs for it

You can PM me, but you can email me at reachrobert@gmail.com with subject "Buell Parts" for a faster response.

defconjuan
03-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Update: I'm assembling a list of the parts, who called dibs on this or the other post, and the dates of those dibs on this Google document (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Arbk4_W6Ap3ydGZyV25RajNZdVBvVm9aNUR0ZGNFa mc&usp=sharing). I should be done by tomorrow (there's a lot of pms). I'll keep the list timestamped so you all know when it was last updated...

bwylie_99
03-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Dibs on the tail dibs!

Buell77
03-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Can i get dibs on both sides of the headlight modules!!?

defconjuan
03-02-2014, 01:32 AM
The dibs sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Arbk4_W6Ap3ydGZyV25RajNZdVBvVm9aNUR0ZGNFa mc#gid=0) is current. I'll be respecting dibs in the following order: (1) by date of dibs, oldest gets first; (2) price; (3) local pickup; and (4) lack of further disassembly needed.

defconjuan
03-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Update: I've updated everyone who put in dibs from the the previous post (http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sale/Buell-Parts-for-Sale/2005-XB9SX-Super-Part-Out---ALL-PARTS/2/). I'm going to give them 2 days (48 hours) to get back to me and then I'm giving prices to anyone who's put dibs on this post (so keep those dibs coming!)

Loki
03-02-2014, 03:30 AM
Im confused... why would you rip apart a perfectly assembled bike to part it out when it doesnt have that much work to be done to it? You risk having a good bit of left over parts and ruin a complete bike.

I see you have it torn apart in the pictures.

TL;DR, why not sell whole?

Do you have the wheel for sale?

buellxb9rs
03-02-2014, 12:17 PM
The bike isn't together. It's in parts. He said he doesn't want to spend the money to fix it and put it together just to sell it

sky56
03-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Where are you located (NW side of Chicago here) ? Dibs on the Dunlop tires, and pass foot peg and foot peg holders, and the gas mask Thanks

defconjuan
03-02-2014, 12:46 PM
@Sky56, you may be first to recognize those Dunlops are pretty much brand new and ask for those without the rims. @buellxb9rs, thanks for clarifying @Loki's comment. Why on Earth would I spend $1500 in parts and labor to get this to an estimated value of $3500, leaving me only $2000 net—when I could not spend that $1500, and part this out to all my fellow Buell fans when there's a parts shortage on a lot of these?

@sky56 I work in Chicago and live in Crown Point, IN. Local-pickups are very attractive to me.

sky56
03-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Would you be willing to sell the dunlops alone? I have no issue with local pickup as well. I'll even lend a hand taking some stuff apart if it'll help out? Never one to pass on some wrenching and hanging out. Let me know. Thanks

Renegade
03-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Sent you an email on the front forks.

sky56
03-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Also dibs on the hand guards and transparent black Airbox cover if you have it. Thanks

Loki
03-02-2014, 07:37 PM
I dont see why you had to spend 1500, do it yourself, or button her up and then sold her so someone else couldve fixed her up. In any case its done so no biggy.

You never answered me about the wheels.

DrogeN Omen
03-02-2014, 08:28 PM
how much you want for the flyscreen and the headlight assembly?

buellmekg
03-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Dibs on the fan, if its still available?

Internet Annoyance
03-24-2014, 12:34 AM
?????????????????????????????????????? I still dont understand the whole part out thing, I used to work in a wrecking yard and have friends who own wrecking yards, I totally understand the whole part it out mechanism, but not here.
Why not see if you can get a decent price for the whole pile and let someone ELSE put it back together? WTF???

Just because you dont want to or not motivated doesnt mean someone else wouldnt be pleased to do so. Most people could have this together in a weekend for a lot less than you are quoting to have the work done.

In the end, even if you gross more than you think you would get parting it out, dealing with 10 zillion emails, dibs, and paypal, shipping and everything else sure adds up in time and money. You would be MILES ahead by taking less money for one lump sum sale than all these part out deals.

Nothing personal buddy, but this sort of thing annoys the hell out of me. [mad]:([sad][down]

Internet Annoyance
03-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Im not understanding the $1500 in costs either to put it back together unless you are paying someone else to do it.
Bummer a cool bike is shredded into a million pieces. sad sad sad. it would be one thing if you wrecked it, i MAYBE could understand....

But hey, im rebuilding a XB12SCG that was wrecked and totalled i bought from another forum member here, will be a sweet ride when done and im not anywhere near that $1500 repair costs, I Paid a little more than that for the whole bike, but the parts to get it back on the road including a replacement frame and the original was broken, was still much less.

BUMMER. maybe that just me, but major bummer..........When an exhaust stud and a chafed wire kicks your ass maybe you dont belong owning tools. im sure that makes me unpopular but oh well.................[confused]
again, nothing personal but this crap happens just WAY TOO OFTEN.. major bummer.[mad]:(

Internet Annoyance
03-30-2014, 08:22 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16071_20140330130448_L.jpg

fix it dont part it out

eggler82
03-31-2014, 05:07 AM
Would be interested in the top triple clamp if you still have it?

defconjuan
05-15-2014, 01:09 PM
After a lot of debate and a one last crack at it with a hillbilly friend of mine who can "get anything out"—we have succeeded! We got the stud out and I will be keeping and re-assembling this bike. To those trolls who griefed me for almost parting this out, I kinda hate you but I'm kinda glad you griefed me too....

http://i.imgur.com/zILn28m.jpg

Now, I need to find a preferably used—or discounted new—RT-1, race pipe, stock pipe (to send in for the Drummer mod), or Dean Keda, GPR, or Torque Hammer. Please PM or email me at reachrobert@gmail.com if you have one.

UMDterp13
05-15-2014, 03:30 PM
hahahahaha that's Awesome!
I'm sure there are lots of upset people here. that was a butload of pretty decent demand parts.
If it was an R model, no one would give a Fu$K.

defconjuan
05-15-2014, 11:43 PM
I finally have all the parts I need to finish this saga.

My new cylinder and head gaskets, drive belt, fuel line, and exhaust studs will be in tomorrow ($340). My used Jardine RT-1 pipe will arrive by Saturday ($200). I previously purchased the rocker box vent plastic thingies, and upper and rocker box gaskets ($150). I also spent $150 for tools I didn't have (eg. taps, helicoils, a 22mm socket for the axle). And I previously paid $60 to a welder to tap-weld a nut onto the stud and help me try to back it out.

So far, that's $900. I saved about $250 bucks by self-fixing the infamous fuel pump short that caused my gauges to whack out once last summer. (What a terrible design to put a wire against a sharp milled aluminum edge.)
http://i.imgur.com/gP5DWkT.jpg

So had I not saved $250+ on a fuel pump and $350+ on a rear head, I'd be over $1500 to fix this without labor of any kind—bro rates or professional shop labor. So, while I'm glad I am where I am in this saga; those who poo-poo'd my numbers logic can at least see that I was right about my estimates.

I can't wait for this weekend! I'll be in my garage if you can't reach me elsewhere.

Negative
05-15-2014, 11:47 PM
What welder charged you $60 to tac-weld a damn nut on a stud .... pfftt

anyway!! ... I have mixed feelings about this thread ... very happy you decided to keep it and fix it ... but at the exact same time .... not so happy that I missed out on some kewl parts ... lol

But the former wins out ... glad to see we still have a bueller in the group ...

defconjuan
05-15-2014, 11:56 PM
He didn't charge me, I wouldn't let him leave without taking $40 and I bought $20 in rods b/c I wasn't sure what kind he needed and figured the extra, he could use. He drove his 1-ton 20 minutes and fired up his truck genny after work on a hot day late last fall so... ya'know, there's context.

And yeah man, I have mixed feelings too. There's still some work ahead of me and given how hard it is to find parts, I feel real ****ty for those who won't get access to mine.

The nice thing is, this will soon be better than ever. It turns out lots of little things needed work and what better time than when you have her wide open. Plus, I will get to give this puppy a deep clean in places you can only get to when she's in pieces.

Negative
05-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Ahhhhh ... Gotcha ... I stand corrected ... that was $60 well spent after reading that ...

I'm debating on looking for a third buell ... and it's a run off between an X1, XBsx, or XBs ... Probably gonna end up being an XBs since the SX's are pretty uncommon as it is ... and buells are nonexistent down here in my neighborhood ...

defconjuan
05-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I thought a second Buell, a Uly, was coming next given my desire to get something comfy for the misses. But I'm thinking something more cruiser is still in order; an XB9SX is not exactly forgiving or built for a passenger. My buddy who sold me this XB9SX actually went to an X1, and he loves it.

Negative
05-16-2014, 04:41 PM
I have my XBs/r and my S1 ... I love both ... lol

vve are the end
05-16-2014, 10:49 PM
If the chin fairing is available I'm interested.

defconjuan
05-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Sorry holmes, I'm reassembling the bike.