PDA

View Full Version : Buell Race Kit not what I expected

1SexyBuell
03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
just got my race air filter and race ecm installed with a tps reset. I already have a Jardine muffler on it. the only difference I notice now is the sound and the torque. the bike really pulls a lot harder when I twist the throttle in all gears. I drove it on the highway right over 3000 rpms for a while then really hit it to see if I got the speed that I lost when I changed from stock muffler to Jardine muffler. I noticed that i go almost just as fast in 4th gear as I do in 5th now. maybe about a 10mph difference. It still doesnt ride the way it did when I had the stock muffler, should I get a Dyno tune now or will that have no effect?? maybe I misunderstood what the race kit would do for my bike.
I tried searching through the race kit forums but could find my answer [sad]

blackxb12r
03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
i have the chip, air box delete and the buell race muffler and am not totally impressed either. i have been unable to find anyone to tune it. everyone says that it is already tuned as get as it is gonna get. i feel your pain.

LeFox
03-17-2009, 05:42 PM
a race kit doesn't add top speed, it just gets you there faster and smoother.

mitchell5
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I've got the same set-up as 1sexybuell. Ever since I have put on the race ecm I have had a hell of a time trying to get the bike to run right. The dealership said that the Jardine is a pretty good match for the race kit, but i'm not impressed. This week I'm planning on doing a little tweaking with ECMspy and hopefully things will smooth out.

1SexyBuell
03-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks LeFox, so does that mean that I shouldnt expect any modifications to get me back to the same top speed as the stock muffler had? thats all I really wanted, same speed as stock but a little more hp to get me there faster.

LeFox
03-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks LeFox, so does that mean that I shouldnt expect any modifications to get me back to the same top speed as the stock muffler had? thats all I really wanted, same speed as stock but a little more hp to get me there faster.
not with a totally open exhaust, no.

The dealership said that the Jardine is a pretty good match for the race kit, but i'm not impressed.
your dealer is correct...my 1st setup was jardine with race ecm and i was satisfied with the result.
about 107nm & 90hp @ wheel.

maybebuell
03-17-2009, 09:52 PM
been trying to tell everyone this for years lot of money for little to no gain and most cases a loss on the street

loser54023
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
I GOT THE RACE ECM AND JARDINE PIPE AND I'M HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS. BUT THEN AGAIN I'M NOT OUT FOR TOP SPEED. I JUST LOVE TO RIDE.

1SexyBuell
03-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I love to ride as well,I dont really care much for top speed, I was fine with the stock speed, I just dont like how now my engine revs a lil higher in the RPMS when im on the highway a lot more than it did when my bike was stock. I only got the muffler for the sound and since I changed the performance of my bike by buying a Jardine exhaust, I figured I might as well buy the rest of the race kit. but now I know whats going on thanks to you guys and I can pass the knowledge on to anyone else who may have the same question [up]

twisted
03-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Hey guys I keep read that you all are using a jardine. Does anybody know if D+D exhaust is going to do the same? I talked to Dave one of the owners of D+D, he said I may not need anything.[confused]

LeFox
03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey guys I keep read that you all are using a jardine. Does anybody know if D+D exhaust is going to do the same? I talked to Dave one of the owners of D+D, he said I may not need anything.
does what?

twisted
03-24-2009, 06:58 PM
What do i need to do after the d+d? i was planning to get the ecm, but you all are not getting the results that you wanted. maybe i should keep the stock exhaust.

Stevenc150
03-25-2009, 02:46 AM
What do i need to do after the d+d? i was planning to get the ecm, but you all are not getting the results that you wanted.
What year is your Buell? If you were planning to get the race ECM, it's not perfect for all aftermarket exhausts. It was actually programmed to match the Buell Race kit which included the Race Can.

The best option that is just as cheap and actually better is to get a custom map. Xoptiinside.com or Americansportbike.com can both hook you up.

twisted
03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
08' its in the shop. i laid it down (still riding it) a year ago. i havent had time to get it fixed until i left to do hurricane ike diseaster clean up. im getting up grade the exhaust to d+d while its in there.

Tork
03-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Twisted, if you're putting on a D&D, you'll want to complement it with a higher flowing intake (K&N filter, open airbox) and race ECM to richen up the fuel map in places. That would be a good start. It'll run just a tad on the lean side, but not enough to harm anything. To get the most from any exhaust/intake mods, you'll want to work with someone to tweak your fuel and timing maps (search for ECMSPY, DirectLink).

Hopefully, you already know that the D&D sacrifices a little on the bottom and top end for zippy midrange performance. Just wanted to make sure you weren't surprised.

Stevenc150
03-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Actually with an '08, you have the newer "learning" ECM. It will compensate for the pipe upgrade alone, but the pipe & intake upgrade would have you running pretty lean. If you do the intake/exhaust upgrade, you'd need to get your ECM re-mapped with a custom map.

Besides that, the Race ECM you'd have to get because of your year model; you can't purchase unless you have a Racing license.

1SexyBuell
03-26-2009, 07:43 PM
I purchased my race ECM without a racing license on EBay and I had to go to a Harley Dealer in PA to get it installed becuase the Harley Dealer in NJ wouldnt install it for me without the license

FalconryBoy
04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
So. Based on what I am reading. If I want to get a pipe with a little more grit in the sound department then it might be better and easier for me (2007 XB12S) to JUST get the pipe and leave the airbox and ECM alone (I already have the K&N). I am just not sure I have anyone I trust to map it properly. Would I be ok NOT messing with ECM if I get a new pipe and have the K&N?

twisted
04-07-2009, 03:00 AM
i did not want to change the preformence any. i love it is just the way it was. i dont trust anybody on the road, i drive a commercial truck for a living and nobody seems to see it. so i on my bike i can avoid the people i just needed more noise to be heard( or piss them off while their on the phone:p).

1SexyBuell
04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I didnt want to change the performance either... but I did want to change the sound of my bike. wanted to be heard, wanted to turn heads but since I got the Jardine muffler and lost what I had with my stock muffler I figured I might as well go ahead and get the whole race kit :o

twisted
04-08-2009, 04:34 AM
what kind of change is the d+d going to change? low end, or top? how much is race kit, and or a remap.

twisted
04-08-2009, 04:41 AM
rephrase question how much change in low, high not a big deal i dont exceed 130.

Tork
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Twisted,
The D&D is a midrange pipe. It pulls strong in the mids, but doesn't enhance much, if anything, in the bottom or top ends. It suits my riding style, so I like it.

As posted above, the regular race ECM is not available for your '08 bike, and you can get custom maps from Xoptiinside.com or Americansportbike.com. You'll need to contact them for map pricing. Both Mike and Al are also excellent resources for explaining exhaust upgrades and the pros/cons of related modifications (intake, fuel mapping, etc.).