PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Cable Snap

Drazko
03-18-2009, 03:31 AM
I just got the bike out from winter storage this weekend rode the bike around a couple of times and it was great. I was on my way to a buddies when after the stop sign i went to shift into second and the gears got stuck. I couldn't do anything, pull in clutch, shift with foot, etc... I started to pull the clutch in again and it bottomed out against the grip. I pulled over tried to get the bike into neutral with no luck. I ended up putting her in 1st while riding and came to a skidding/bumpy stop with the gears locked up. The clutch cable snapped apart, the at end piece on the lever. I have an '03 xb9, has anyone had a similar problem. I was told this is rare. I'm concerned that something is not wrong with the clutch or anything so that if I put in a new cable this won't happen again. This was not my idea of a "fun" ride. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The bike is at the dealership.

LeFox
03-18-2009, 08:45 AM
yea need to keep an eye on your clutch cable.
especially near the lever since it's the area that wears out the fastest.

since it's an '03, i would say it's normal wear...i changed my cable on an '04, no biggy.

03Firebolt9R
03-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I just changed my 03 cable out last weekend, it snapped at the lever as LeFox suggests will happen as normal wear. It was a piece a cake to change.

LeFox, did you notice after your change that the clutch release point is way farther out on the lever compared to before? I adjusted the clutch release mech but it didnt seem to "bring it in any".

LeFox
03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
LeFox, did you notice after your change that the clutch release point is way farther out on the lever compared to before? I adjusted the clutch release mech but it didnt seem to "bring it in any".
you sure you got the correct cable?
and what do you mean by farther...at the lever?

a worn cable will stretch...

03Firebolt9R
03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes..it is the correct cable, same exact part # as OEM. What I mean is that the clutch doesnt release until the lever is almost completely let out.

Stevenc150
03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
If you don't have a manual, click the "Service Manuals" link at the top of the page and download/save to your computer. There's 2 places to adjust your clutch, one being on the RH side of the bike for your cable, the other being behind your primary cover inside the outer ramp.

bitter rod
03-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Just happened to me yesterday. I figured it was normal wear. I am hoping for an easier pull when I install the new one.

Drazko
03-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. This makes me feel a little more comfortable I guess... The ultimate question I have then is what do I do if this happens again? How do I come to a safe stop? I was stuck halfway between gear and when I was finally able to mash in a downshift I went to first, so I scarily skidded to a stop as I went to the curb line? Any tips would be appreciated. If I am to check the cable in the future would I have seen a couple of threads "ripped" off? Just the end "knob" snapped off. Thanks in advance

LeFox
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
well, if you keep an eye on it, it should not happen again.
otherwise just let go of the throttle and when the bike starts bogging, use the engine kill switch...it won't be a smooth stop, but it will save your gears.

you can count on a new cable every 15000 miles.
when near breaking, you'll feel the clutch getting a bit harder and you need to pull the handle more.
there will be some lose threads on the cable.

Drazko
03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
thanks guys!

Fock347
03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
same thing happend to me had to wait a week for the clutch cable to come in , i still drove my bike around tho just powershifted and when it came to stopping i just felt for neutral then shut the bike off and when it was time to go again i put it in first and hit the start button and kept goin lol