PDA

View Full Version : Buell XB12xt 2009 Surging, backfire but no stalling

hoshinoa
03-14-2014, 02:30 AM
Guys, great forum, it helps a lot thru people’s experience.

This is my story,

I moved from WA to QLD Brisbane 4 weeks ago. Needed a Bike to commute to work every day for my new job,
Jumped on gumtree with the idea to have a twin, love those twins. I had previously two 850 TRX.
I already had an idea of getting a BUELL but didn’t think I could afford it or even find one.
Anyway, jumped on GUMTREE for a 1000 SV or a BUELL, Find couple of BUELL but One had 60000 km on it for 7500 dollars.
Find another one for 6500 (advertised 7500) with 30 000 km on it, so I just did it, bought a XB12XT 2009 model in great shape.
Starting the new job in few day and I will commute 100 km every day with traffic Jam in Brisbane Buell was our deal as Low Maintenance, Low consumption, and a drive belt…
As usual, changed oils, Primary and motor, change spark plugs, set up suspension, change filters……

So happy with my Buell…. For the first week and then…. Backfire only low rev…
What going on? Check on internet, and find the diagnostic idea with the jumper on pin 1 & 2. NO CODE, NO ERRORS, just keep flashing like 9 times and stop for 2 secs and 9 times again….
Man I need this bike to go to work.
Next morning again. But very bad. I had to stop on the highway and Gympie RD so many times. Take the airbox out, on the side of the road, check the plugs, check the mass. Everything normal.
After putting everything back together, it runs fine again. It must be something I touch, or maybe stopping the bike for 10 mns fixed it. I also used to run 300km on the tank, now, the reserve shows at 120 km first time and 160 km second time. I use too much fuel. And there is black smoke coming out the exhaust.
Struggle to go back home after work, took the Bike apart again and jump on forum again. Find the TPS reset. And It worked…. For just 10 mns and back again. Runs on one cylinder, backfire….
Stop at the Yamaha dealership. (one next to work) no HD shop around. The guy was so sorry that he couldn’t find anything to help as he doesn’t have the computer, tools and knowledge for a BUELL. Great.
Anyway, I spent all my lunch time (30mns) at work taking the bike apart and check every connection…at the end I didn’t even bother putting the screws back on on the air box and even the cover. Sick of it men. I love this bike… when it works…. Try jumping the pin 1 & 2 to get diagnostic. 1 and 3, I got a code. O2 sensor. Really ? well it’s better than fuel pump, or injector…
Ok, I will try to check the spark plugs again, pull the spark plus lead. And OH MY GOD, the lead broke. One bit one the plug itself and one on the COIL. What am I going to do? I am at work, 1 hour from home, my miss will not be too happy picking me up to work, it’s like 3 hours way and return. Ok breathe.
Go see the Sparky at work and make a new lead. Yeah that’s it. Do it. I made a new lead from the old one with electric cable (big). start the bike. It works, great, pull the lead out again and Oh no, it broke again. And I lost the connection inside the bike now. Jumped in someone’s car and on the way to supercheap. “Sorry sir, we don’t do motorcycle”. Damm . go to a motorcycle repair shop. “We don’t sell leads here just the wire, go to supercheap” (no connectors) , Are you fu…I kidding me? Thank you teammoto. Great service. And I felt like I was bothering the guy asking him a lead. Men that’s your job, you getting pay for giving a good service.
Anyway, back to supercheap and try to make something up with a car lead, only 5 bucks, can’t get it wrong. And I have to go back home tonight. Installed on the bike and went home without too much trouble. Just some small backfire. IT WORKS… I am so happy… told everyone about my bad story.
Jumped on the bike next morning 6am. Head to the highway again. Oh no, it happened again, stop on the side. Open the airbox again… same story.
It must be something else than the plugs and lead.
Ok, going home on one cylinder again, 50% of the time, stop 3 times do a TPS reset. Works for 10 mns. Bla bla bla…
“Honey, I have to spend time fixing the bike tonight. Don’t bother me…”
Go in the garage with, open the airbox, ignition coil. Check mass. Move the ECU, check cracks. Add plenty of foam on the ECU for my big bottom not squashing it. Check the o2 sensor. Was it plugged properly? Not sure. Anyway. Check the leads again. Well the Car lead deosn’t seem to fit and clip properly on to the Ignition Coil. 10PM. Mission, make a new lead from the car lead. I used the old OEM lead rubber and coil connector and the supercheap cable itself with the Spark plug connector already installed. Struggle to get the wire thru the rubber. Anyway a bit of Vaseline should work.
Did a new lead. Put everything back together (without screws of course) the lead connection clip and insert better inside the coil. Go for a test drive for 30mns. Highway… works great. Can’t wait to see tomorrow morning on the way to work.
Spend a bit of time screwing the airbox and everything else. It’s midnight, time to go to bed now.
Next morning, everything works as the first day. No backfire, very smooth. I was so paranoided all the way to work.
I order a new ignition lead from HD and should receive in the next 2 days. I will keep you posted but I think my PROBLEM IS SOLVED.
Thanks everyone for keeping people up to date and sorry for the long story but I like details when I troubleshoot my bike.

BuellRonin
03-14-2014, 08:00 AM
Quick question, what do you mean by ignition "lead"? Is it the ignition sensor? Just curious.

Cheers!

hoshinoa
03-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Ronin, Not the sensor just the spark plug leads. The spark plug wire. connect the spark plug to the coil

user_deleted
03-16-2014, 02:24 AM
suggestions and possibilities are faulty plug wires....cracked/faulty ecm.....tps unit bad.

hoshinoa
03-16-2014, 06:33 AM
I check the bike today, and I took the Ecm out, it appears that it has a very small crack near the connector as usual. add the superglue and change location, it's fixed now. previously I had some compressed foam to protect the Ecu on the top of the boxe. well I made it wrost, The biken keep shutting itself down, like 3 times in 5 mns. so I removed the foam. but now with it's new location it's much better.null

user_deleted
03-16-2014, 06:24 PM
I took the Ecm out, it appears that it has a very small crack near the connector

as usual i was 100% correct. [up][down]:p:D[mad]

hoshinoa
03-16-2014, 11:21 PM
nullhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18418_20140316171947_L.jpg
This is the relocation I' ve done. Much lower tgan stock. Just bended the bracket