PDA

View Full Version : Stator test on "08"

slawman
03-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Well me and the wife went for a nice ride in Tennessee bout 230 miles , when I had to take a leak and walla the bike would not restart. Not far from home had a friend pick us up.
Got home and charged battery (new battery bout 4 mos ago a nice Yuasa), Cranked the bike up and found the battery getting up to 18 volts (3000rpm), Then I pulled apart the stator and VR connections ohmed out stator leads to ground showed infinity, then between the two leads showed .32 ohms. Cranked the bike up and the stator is putting out 37-42 volts AC (at idle) then as rpms go up so does voltage at 3500-4000 rpm was 85-89 volts AC. I pulled
the stator and it looks good maybe a slightly darker color on the bottom.
I am assuming the stator is bad regardless if it is not grounding out and I did the VR diode test and it is well, however I believe that amount of voltage could have weakened it ?
Can anybody on this forum help me confirm or deny my findings?
I love this bike (1 year owner) and have put about 10000 miles since owning. got it with 14000 miles XB12X 08
Thanks !!

user_deleted
03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
slawman: you are in the AC ballpark at idle but at 3000rpm you should be in the 48-52 AC volt range. i suspect faulty stator as you do as well. consider going to customrewind.com a great USA firm, quick turn around, a bit less money than new factory replacement chinese part, great quality, work is guaranteed. they're wonderful to deal with.

http://www.customrewind.com/