PDA

View Full Version : 09 uly hard start fouling rear plug

farmer12
03-19-2014, 01:54 PM
I've been having this problem since I got this bike 2 years ago. It's only got 5k miles on it an no matter what, when the weather is cool, it will no doubt foul the rear plug. I'm running the Ngk dcpr8eix plugs. It is obviously running rich when it's idling, it stinks up the garage pretty badly. All
I have done is a hawk pipe an a k&n. No tuning. I've been looking for sometime for someone to tune it but the one good lead I had was the tuniversity and he quit working on them. It usually doesn't give me trouble when the weather is hot, but even on a 60 degree day it'll for sure foul it. Any help would be appreciated, it would be nice if this thing was reliable.

user_deleted
03-19-2014, 11:41 PM
ulys traditionally reliable as an anvil. are you getting any CEL activity? how are the plug wires? my guess is either faulty O2 sensor or ignition coil on the way to the graveyard. others will chime in i'm sure.

farmer12
03-20-2014, 02:34 AM
No cel activity at all. Smells like raw gas for a short time after it actually runs on both cyls. Plug wires look good. Wouldn't a bad o2 set a cel?

DualSportDad
03-20-2014, 03:25 AM
my o2 was shot and it didn't throw a CEL. check your AFV and report back with the number and what mods you have done and where you live.

also start the bike if you can with ecmspy/tunerpro and see how long it takes for the o2 to start reading normal.

here's some video's. look at the afv in the first video, it's 111. this was stock exhaust with a race map loaded, the afv should have been under 100. also notice how long it takes to get the ego voltage to start reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBn0wa9gtp8&list=UUroCETMgj19p-3A5xwLxn3A&feature=share

and this is after a new o2, plugs, afv reset and a factory race muffler put on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzPnFnUJVV0&list=UUroCETMgj19p-3A5xwLxn3A&feature=share

farmer12
03-20-2014, 01:21 PM
What's afv? I put in the original post what I've done, I just have a hawk pipe and a k&n. I've had lots of ppl tell me it's the tps reset but I've done that a number of times. I don't have ECMspy or any of that, I've been told it's not possible to use that on the 09s.

DualSportDad
03-20-2014, 02:22 PM
If you don't have access to that stuff but you know how to turn a wrench I'd start with a o2 sensor. They are $30 and take about an hour to replace.

user_deleted
03-20-2014, 03:04 PM
farmer: it's the air fuel values i believe he's talking about. i'm no ecm expert but agree that a faulty ecm or tps switch or O2 sensor should at least store a fault code. though it's tempting to just start throwing parts at it like a new coil and/or O2 sensor i would suggest accessing the ecm with either ecmspy or tunerpro rt and see if you have any stored fault codes. several on here are experts at using either program on the 2009 XB but i'm not one of them.

DualSportDad
03-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Lunatic is correct. The right way to go about it is to monitor your sensors with tuner pro.

farmer12
03-20-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm plenty wrench friendly, but the ECM part I have no knowledge of. Where do I get the ECMspy or tunerpro? And do they come with the cable I will need?

user_deleted
03-22-2014, 01:53 AM
farmer: ecmspy or tunerprort is a program that allows a computer.....like your PC for example...to communicate with your bikes' ecm. you will need a cable to plug into your bikes' diagnostics plug....other end plugs into usb port on your computer. you must buy the cable online such as evilbay or make one up yourself. they're reasonably priced. what i would suggest doing is just google: buell xb-tunerpro rt OR google: buell xb-ecmspy and you will find the links to your 2009 procedure. or use the search window at top of this sites' page and find it. tons of info on using either program for your bike. hope that helps.

farmer12
03-22-2014, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the info, I got ECMspy downloaded an found plenty of cables on eBay.

Anyone know what my air fuel values need to be to know if the o2 is bad if there is no code present?

DualSportDad
03-22-2014, 03:42 AM
i think you stated you had a 09? ecmspy wont work on a 09. you'll need to use tunerpro.

farmer12
03-22-2014, 04:54 AM
Ah man...I can't find a free download for tunerpro anywhere. Any idears where I can find one?

DualSportDad
03-22-2014, 11:34 AM
i don't.... i have a 05 so i just used the ecuspy program that came with my cable.

user_deleted
03-22-2014, 01:25 PM
i think you stated you had a 09? ecmspy wont work on a 09. you'll need to use tunerpro.
not true.
contact lawdog. his name is brett. extremely helpful and knowledgeable with ecmspy on the 2008-10 model XB's. go to messages, type in lawdog and send him PM seeing if he will assist you. he's a great guy.

lawdog
03-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Step one get a cable. Let me know when you have one and we can troubleshoot from there.

For the 2008-2010 models you can pay $115 for Ecmspy. (older free version does not work on newer bikes). You can run Tunerpro which I have not tried personally. Or you can read the hexdata and program yourself. Old school. Lol. I use excel spreadsheets to track changes.

I can email you Tunerpro and files if you want but your own your own with it. Haven't played around with it myself.

farmer12
03-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Where would I go to get it? I went to the website and I don't see anything about purchasing. If that's what will work best I'll just get it, it'd bout cost me that to have the stealership diagnose it. I have a cable on the way as well.

lawdog
03-22-2014, 10:48 PM
You create an ecmspy account then register your eeprom. I cant remember the exact process but you create an account, then get an email, then I think add you eeprom. Then you can purchase I think. It's been a while and I can't remember the exact steps. I never purchased it.

farmer12
03-23-2014, 03:06 AM
What is the EEPROM?

stellio78
03-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Have a read of this http://www.xoptiinside.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Using_Tunerpro_RT.15590439.pdf

Download this it should have everything you need to get setup http://www.xoptiinside.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Buell_ECM_Tuning_System.291212955.zip

Extra info from another BuellXB member here https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By69gxdMpcWHMTZqYUdkeFRVa0E

lawdog
03-23-2014, 03:23 PM
The EEPROM is the programming inside the ECM. Think of the ECM as your home computer. The EEPROM would be the operating system, ie windows xp, 7, 8, etc. As Buell made updates they changed EEPROMs throughout the years. The EEPROMs are different sizes and store the information in different places and are different with each version.

So you are going to need to order a cable from ebay or Mike. Then fetch your EEPROM to determine what version you are running. Then decide if you want to pay for ECMSPY, learn to use TunerPro, or program yourself. The last option is to pay someone to do it or drop it off at a shop.

Do you have a good strong spark? Intake leak? Need to read the ECM to do more diagnostic testing.

farmer12
03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I have a cable on the way and I don't mind paying for ECM spy. It seems the consensus is it's the better of the two.

It doesn't seem to have an intake leak, it idles very good after I finally get it started. Couldn't tell you on the spark tho, I have to change the rear plug again so I will check when I do it and I will get it plugged in as soon as my cable gets here.

user_deleted
03-24-2014, 07:29 PM
What is the EEPROM?

acronym for execute entire program read only memory.
i don't know if that is correct as it just came to me...but wondering if i'm even close?[confused]:D

arqueware
08-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Electrically-erasable programmable read-only memory