PDA

View Full Version : Top end clatter?

ad71
05-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a 2006 XB12Ss has 3100 mi. At around 2000-2500 rpm, slow speeds, around town riding there is noise that seems to come from the valves or rockers. Oil level is fine and I use high grade gas. I'm in Mesa AZ temps are higher here of course. Once I go past that 2500 rpm range it's ok seems at higher evs it doesn't do it . Is it normal?

Raisanbran
06-01-2007, 06:33 AM
i wish someone would comment on this cuz i have the same problem, someone told me it might be a loose chain

2Evil4U
06-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Sounds pretty normal to me. It's fairly common for a H-D motor to be collossally noisy at an idle and low RPMs. Only thing I'd suggest is check the primamry chain tension to ensure it is within spec and if that's fine you should be OK.

I'm not saying that there should be and heavy Knocks and clanks, (Except when you shift into first gear.) those would be bad noises, but the H-D motors are certainly not Honda-quiet as far as mechanical noise goes.

maybebuell
06-03-2007, 02:41 PM
you using syn oil

buellxb
06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
It's hard to know exactly what you're describing, but my 2005 Buell XB12Scg makes some racket. I always thought I could drown it out with a nice loud exhaust. I think it's a Harley thing.

buelltool
09-08-2007, 01:43 AM
Yup.....my 9 has the same top end chatter....comes and goes depending on the revs and seems to be somewhat louder during deceleration. I've read on many posts that is quite normal. I do run syn

buelltool
09-23-2007, 01:51 PM
btw....i also hear very good reviews from people running 20-50 amsoil in da motor and 75-90 amsoil in da primary, synthetic of course.....shifts way better...and noticible when you first switch over...give it a try...i did and lovin it. Cheap insurance.

angel
09-25-2007, 02:34 AM
I have an '04 XB12S and at 45,000 mi my mechanic told me to listen for clatter that occurred on deceleration that he had noticed on the test drive. By 50,000 mi service the clatter was worse and I had him look for it. He found metal shavings in the oil pan,rocker arm bushings were loose and looked like someone attacked them with an awl,rocker arm shaft was loose which was the cause for the clatter,piston rings had scored the cylinder walls,valve stems were beaten down some, wrist pins and bushings between the piston and connecting rod were looose as well. The bottom line, this engine was blown.I have a 7 yr extended warranty with unlimited mileage and the bike had less than 50,000 mi and was a few days over 3 yrs old.Harley said it was NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR !!!!! and refused to replace my engine.So to all you guys out there with a clatter in your XB motors,remember, the clatter only gets worse!!! Dump that bike as quick as you can because if you don't have an extended warranty you don't have a prayer of getting it replaced.They're saying that 50,000 mi is the life span of this engine and that I should be proud that I personally put all those miles on by myself.Yeh right, I spent over $10,000 on a bike that last less than 50,000 mi.My diagnosis, this bike can't keep itself cool, the oil I mean.The oil broke down under extreme heat and failed to protect the engine.That's not our fault, it's in the design of the engine,air- cooling is not enough.Something broke loose and f***ed up my engine bad.That's exactly why I bought an extended warranty.This is not normal wear and tear.Dump that bike quick, have you ever heard of engine clatter getting better? And somebody pleases find me a lawyer. WORD UP. Angel

Yazzie
12-13-2007, 02:50 AM
I have an '02 X1 lightning here in Tempe and right now I hear a lot of chatter when I let off the throttle, but its a similar symptom to what you are describing. I was told it was normal, I switched to synthetic and its been a little better. mostly noticed it idles better. tapping or chatter sound still there but i've learned to hit an rpm that keeps it to a min.

LeFox
12-13-2007, 01:21 PM
amoung other things...it could be normal, can be a lose primairy chain (check tension) or it can be what angel had which i think is most likely the oil-pump sprocket, but that's a bit to early in your case, ad71 (+ you have the berillium sprocket standard)

angel, you're mechanic should have known about that issue and when hearing that noise and looking at your odo, he should have taken an hour of his time to check the sprocket.

Big Jon
02-24-2008, 06:12 PM
I have have an 07 xb12ss and it does the same thing. But it never gets worse and is consistant at steady speeds.