PDA

View Full Version : Popping and stalling

Candy
03-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I have an '06 buell blast. It just began to make a popping noise, especially when reving the engine. Everyone said it was the fuel, doubt it. Now the engine stalls out when idling. This is my first bike and I've only had it for a couple weeks. The problem seems to keep getting worse...Any suggestions of what it could be? :(

06BuellCT
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Did u try checking all ur electrical connections to make sure everything is tight? I had a problem like that with my old xr400 ended up being a bad plug wire that was arcing out. Good luck

Tork
03-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Give us a little more information...

Did you have your bike serviced recently?
Did you do any work on it before the problem started?
When was the last time you rode it and it ran fine?
Have you tried filling the tank with fresh gas?
Is the ECM throwing any codes?

+1 on 06BuellCT's recommendation, including and especially all ignition and ECM connections. Don't just do a visual inspection- move cables and wires around a little while you're checking the connections. Sometimes a connection looks OK, but is barely together, or you'll see where a short is arcing.

If the bike runs poorly for very long, it'll probably foul the plug if it hasn't already, and you'll at least have to pull it and clean it to troubleshoot further.

Stevenc150
03-21-2009, 02:51 AM
Straight out of the '06 Buell Blast Manual. You can access them free on Buell.com by signing up which is also free. :D[up] Off the top of my head, replace plug, clean carb, check fuel filter.

Starts But Runs Irregularly or Misses
4. Battery nearly discharged.
5. Damaged wire or loose connection at battery terminals or coils.
6. Intermittent short circuit due to damaged wire insulation.
7. Water or dirt in fuel system, filter or carburetor.
8. Fuel vent system plugged. See dealer.

rhpaw
03-21-2009, 03:12 AM
If it just happened suddenly?
das boot.

ury227
04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
hey, i just bought a buell blast too and it had been sitting for about 6 months. it had the same problem, everytime i got to a red light it would turn off, i went home and took the carb off to clean it and discovered that the rubber coupling that is between the carb and the cylinder head was tearing, i replaced it and my bike is like new again. those couplings dry rot if the bike is left sitting for a bit, mine only has 3,500 miles on it so its fairly new and that happened to it. hopefully that is the problem beacause its a cheap and easy fix, the part is only like under 10 dollars at the harley dealer, u should check it out.:)

ezblast
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Das Boot!