PDA

View Full Version : lights go out in Uly, and speedo

skylermeyer
03-23-2014, 09:37 PM
I need some help. I have noticed that my speedo will cut out and go to zero on occasion. It lasts for a few seconds to a minute or so that comes back on.
OK here is the big issue. I was riding home from work the other day in the dark and my lights were acting up. I was doing my normal checks and switched from low to high beams before I started home and thee lights went out!!! I switched from high to low beams and booth were out. After about 30 seconds to a minute they came on and both worked fine. UN TIL about half way home (6-7 miles) at 55MPH the lights went out in Uly town!!! Oh s#!t to say the least. On a country back road with no lights around and corners a plenty. Luckily I was on a straight and by the time I had slowed to about 30 (5 seconds of horror) they were back on and never went off the rest of the way home.
I have not tried riding in the dark again since. My speedo still goes out on occasion in the daylight hours. I have not noticed the light issue again since but have not been out at night so who knows.
Please any help is appreciated.
Thank you!!!

Alien
03-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Check all connections, grounds, etc.

uly luigi
03-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Especially the grounding bundle at the steering neck, double check for broken wires at the ring connectors, it will look good but I am almost certain you have 1 or 2 broken grounds at that bolt, once you fix them put a 2" piece of heavy heat shrink on the connections and shrink it down to give more support at the joint,

user_deleted
03-26-2014, 03:23 PM
good info above and assuming your handlebar mounted high/low beam switch is ok.....go to front of bike and remove flyscreen/windshield. access the white plastic plug that connects wiring harness to headlight harness. it has 4 wires being orange/yellow/white/black. the orange (teal color in a few rare instances) is the 12 volt positive supply wire. check it and its connection carefully then follow it up the harness checking for any cracks or chafing. it also leads to the gauge cluster and supplies power. check it closely.

skylermeyer
03-28-2014, 05:28 AM
Thank you. That gives me a place to start instead of just skimming everything I can focus a little more and then skim everything else.

heagachongoose
03-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Ignition switch

luvfastbikes
05-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Skyler, i had the same frustrating, intermittent prob on my 07 Uly. Many threads offering advice on the forum, but the most common and probable issue seemed to be wire harness routing that caused the wire bundle to be pinched by the left fork leg at full turn. It's a PITA since you have to disassemble quite a bit to properly inspect all the wires, but turned out to be worth it on mine--it was caused by a partially severed ground wire in the bundle. A little solder and shrink wrap, reassemble and slightly re-route the wiring harness, bolt everything back on and she's been good to go since. Good luck!

WBTHOMAS
09-08-2014, 02:22 AM
DEFINITELY THE IGNITION SWITCH.

MnBueller
09-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I also lost my headlight for a while this summer, turned out to be the main harness to headlight harness plug.
The ground connection in there had gone bad. I did buy the original connectors and try to crimp them without the special crimper; not good. So I used some extra shielded spade connectors I had here and it now works fine. Good luck!