PDA

View Full Version : broken wire at the handlebar

hoshinoa
03-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Guys,
I have a broken wire or a bad connection somewhere at the handlebar.
When I turn my handlebar to a certain position all the electrical goes down. No power.
Its only a fraction of a millimeter. If I turn quick you can hardly see it. But if I find the exact position turning the handle bar, no power.
In consequence when I am riding, the tps goes crazy. After TPS reset, the bike works fine but after a while I loose power at high rev and the idle goes up and down.
I open the harness at the neck behind the windscreen but I couldn t see anything. I also open the windscreen and check the ground but no luck.
If anyone has or had the same problem please help me fix this one
Buell xb12xt 2009
Thanks

shawnd
03-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Take a look at the red wire leaving the back of your ignition switch. Sounds like one is breaking.

hoshinoa
03-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks Shawn,
I checked that one too. It deosnt seem that I can make it happen anymore. It may be fixed by opening and moving wires. I really want to find that broken or lose wire as I dont want to be stuck on the side of the road because of one wire. Any other suggestion?

rON bURGANDY
03-29-2014, 05:25 PM
My bike was having similar symptoms, turn the bars and the bike would cut off. I ended up taking my ignition switch apart and found a broken wire inside, soldered it up and has been fine for almost a year now. Also do the preliminary stuff first like tighten battery cables, tighten up all your grounds, etc.

hoshinoa
03-30-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks Ron,
I open the ignition switch apart as per your recommendation, but nothing look wrong with it. Put everything back together and clean up the grounds, find some special sticky tape at the shop that handle 260 degrees and tight waterproof. everything looks good. went for a ride and no trouble at all. Even what I though was a slippery clutch was gone. full power all the way up. Still bothering me why that happened. And I will still looking for that broken wire.

Shawns
03-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Some times you have to flex the wire harness at different spots. Start at the switch and work your way down. the break may be inside the wire insulation and you it won't be evident(I think I phrased it correctly, it's early).

hoshinoa
03-31-2014, 04:16 AM
I wish I can x-ray my bike and see all the small imperfections. I will have to live with it as I check every where. I know it's somewhere and it will happen again. But for now it's working. I will keep you posted if I find it.
Thanks for your help

hoshinoa
03-31-2014, 08:29 AM
What I though happened back from work. Twisted my handle bar to go thru traffic and here we go again. Bad contact at ignition switch wire somewhere. Grrrrr have to tps reset every time now.
Tomorrow I will run a wire directly jump the ignition switch and see if it works.
Let u know

hoshinoa
03-31-2014, 08:39 AM
Is anyone have a clear electrical diagram for a 2009 xb 1200 , i try to get one of internet but there are not clear.
Thanks

hoshinoa
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Never mind found one

hoshinoa
04-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Ok. End of the story is:
I added a switch under the sit to shortcut the key.
At the relay between 9 and 15. So I dont need a key anymore. I still locked the bike and I have an alarm but I just need to jump on the buell and push the switch to start it.
The bike works much better now. All fixed