PDA

View Full Version : horrible at high rpms

redsput
03-29-2014, 09:45 PM
new blast owner. Got a '03 with 1600 miles, been sitting a long time. ran fair, but stared bad and would not idle cold at all. Did ...lots... of forum reading. Replaced boot with super boot, increased to 45/175 jets, shimed needle, K-N filter, modifed the air box slightly for better flow, added a breather outside the airbox, drilled a 1.25 hole in the muffler where advised. Denso plug etc.

Now it starts instantly, idles great, seems to run good but still stammers like crazy at higher rpms. Though not sure what they are since this archaic beast has no gauge. Do these have rev limiters? Are they a just a real low rpm bike, and I am maybe just pushing to much? (sure doesn't seem like I'm getting much past 6k based soley on sound before it starts stammering - like it's missing.

Any advice rt other "things" to look at that I may have overlooked?

redsput
03-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Froze my arse off, but just went for a 20 mi ride. I'm a Buelltard I guess, the bikes runs flawlessly and I can't believe how much better the nominal mods have made it. I just need to overcome my many years of two strokes and Jap bikes and use the torquey low end. I really think I'm gonna like this thing :-)

jetlee
03-30-2014, 04:36 AM
There's an RPM vs MPH table here (http://buellridersonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8539). If your "stammer" corresponds with those gears and speeds ... it's your stock rev limiter at 6500rpm.