PDA

View Full Version : I GOT TO RIDE THE RX

WIGGLE2
04-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Hello;
I had the opportuninty at White's Harley in Pa., to ride the RX Saturday. One word.....WOW! Now....if you're on an XB....this is a whole different animal engine wise. (Obviously...I know!). But saying that, it is incredible. It doesn't have that super low end , off idle torque the air-cooled engines do....(I stalled it twice until I got the 'feel' for it!), but after that, it is very ridable. Like Dean said....it is a bit 'thrashy' or 'rough' in the lower RPM ranges at a cruise. But with an engine making substantcially more than 2 HP per cubic inch, I guess it is to be expected. Unlike a GSXR / R1 where all the power seems to be within this 1000 RPM 'spike', this thing is SO linear in power delivery. And....just like everyone else, the exhaust DOES seem like an afterthought in person. (Doesn't sound all that bad for stock EPA stuff though!). Steering and handling is spot on....very light feel to it....almost intuitive. Brakes? Well....IMO nothing had changed much! With only 100 miles on it, it STILL has a slight shudder to it. THAT disappointed me some. All in all, I, personally always thought the XB brakes were decent, EXCEPT for the well known shudder. For a 'sportbike' riding position, I didn't fint it TOO uncomfortable for my 5'-11", 175 lb. frame. (I was ACTUALLY surprised!). Clutch is AWESOME! Nice pull, a bit 'aggressive' on engagement perhaps, but the slipper on downshifts is SO nice! I am used to old school "in-or-out" clutches...so this was a real treat! I ride my friend's R1 (2012 cross-plane)...it has a slipper clutch too, but doesn't have the 'feel' this thing does. IF I were independently wealthy, I WOULD have bought it home with me for sure! But...for now, I am doing the 'wise' thing....Pay off my Jeep, wait to see the SX (Which is what I have now...that style is where my heart AND back is at!), let them get some 'bugs' out like ANY new bike has, THEN I may consider a purchase for sure! Nice work Erik! Good Luck!!

djs2k2
04-07-2014, 01:20 PM
I hate you! JK, seems as if someone had fun!

WIGGLE2
04-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Yes...I did have fun!! I am SO grateful to the crew at White's in Lebanon Pa. for that opportunity!!!

Jonny5zaliv
04-07-2014, 03:22 PM
The the dealership here in Indianapolis had an EBR demo day the Saturday before last. It was a cold and rainy morning, but the rain finally stopped a little after noon. I went to the clerk with little hope of riding it that day, but it paid off, and I was first to take her out! I only got to go down a road and back, and stalled it at a railroad crossing, but besides that, I was grinning ear to ear. I plan on going back on a warmer day soon to take her out again. It's much different from my SX, seating wise, but I was comfortable in the saddle (6'1", 215 lbs). For the lucky ones who own them, I envy you, and hope to one day in the near future join you.

d_adams
04-07-2014, 05:01 PM
If you think it has power on just a short demo ride, try one that can be run up over 7500 rpm. It REALLY starts making some serious power once you get the revs up. Roll on power wheelies happen without trying. If you're not used to it, I would highly recommend short shifting both 1st and 2nd gear because it just comes up that easily and way faster than I expected.

WIGGLE2
04-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Believe it not Dean, I (being one of two guys 'approved' to ride it!), had free reign of the thing for about 20 minutes! I Did get to run it pretty good. Obviously being a brand new machine, I didn't 'beat' on it, but I was able to get a GREAT idea of what it's capable of! It DOES like to carry that front wheel! What I REALLY like about it is that linear power delivery.....THAT is SWEET! (Remember..my only comparison is an R1!).

ReconLdr
04-07-2014, 07:57 PM
White's HD and Schaffers HD (Orwigsburg) are where I go for Buell Parts. They have been nothing but supportive of Buell from the begining.

UMDterp13
04-07-2014, 08:12 PM
My buddy rode Battley's. It shut down cause engine detected low oil. No mechanical issues but wanted to share. He said it was awesome and totally different when working tho. I still plan to buy an AX.

WIGGLE2
04-07-2014, 09:03 PM
White's HD and Schaffers HD (Orwigsburg) They have been nothing but supportive of Buell from the begining.
ABSOLUTELY!! (Iron Valley in Manhem Pa. as well. They are a branch off of White's).

go cytocis
04-08-2014, 04:28 AM
I ride my friend's R1 (2012 cross-plane)That's a pretty sweet motor right there. I'm actually quite surprised it hasn't been more of a game-changer in the litre-bike world....[confused]

WIGGLE2
04-08-2014, 12:30 PM
^^ It is....The whole bike is just too highstrung for a full day of fun. (Aggressive ergonomics, short powerband....probably one of the greatest things for track days, if that's what you're into though). The power delivery IS somewhat different than the standard I4. The exhaust note is fairly distinctive as well. I've been around the performance / racing industry most of my life. As a 'younger' boy, I was into midget engines (like USAC runs), and the european 4 cylinder Fords from the 80's. (LONG before these Honda's with fart pipes were 'cool'!). And even back then I could never figure out WHY the 'cross-plane' idea WOULDN'T work?! Hell...if i'd had the money back then, I could be a millionaire now!! Lol! I really don't know Go? Perhaps Yamaha has the idea locked up for now? With patent laws and rights and all, it's hard to say, but I DO agree with you. They SEEM to be taking the abuse OK, so I woldn't think it's a reliability issue. But..... back to OUR RX!! WOW!

onelogue
04-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Great review! Ill live bi-curiously through you guys that are experiencing the fun.

2004xb12s
04-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Ill live bi-curiously through you guys

How are you going to live? Something you wanna tell us? [confused]:D:D:D:D

marko138
04-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I need to get into White's and check it out. They are my "local" dealer...but they are an hour away. Shoulda went over a few weeks ago when I was in town.

WIGGLE2
04-08-2014, 08:20 PM
^^ You will want to talk to JD (Jason).

TheyCallMe
06-24-2014, 01:16 AM
thanking I might have to make the trip. I sat on the demo bike at LCBC's car and bike show but didn't make it up to Whites to take it for a ride... The thing feels super like though. and as wiggle said surprisingly comfortable.

mrlogix
06-24-2014, 02:46 AM
Yes...I did have fun!! I am SO grateful to the crew at White's in Lebanon Pa. for that opportunity!!!

I got to ride the RX, I got to ride the RX

and I'm stuck here in podunkville where they tell me "you ride what, a bull?"

WIGGLE2
06-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Sorry mrlogix.....I hope you DO get to see/ride one soon somewhere!! I'm just 'lucky' enough to have a dealer real close to me. Where are you from Theycallme?

mrlogix
06-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Sorry mrlogix

Just kidding, that's cool that you got to ride one already. :)

mrlogix
06-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Sorry mrlogix

Just kidding, that's cool that you got to ride one already. :) although unlike onelogue I will not go bi-curious. lol.