PDA

View Full Version : Funny Noise

LionBuell
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi i need help bought my `06 XB12X about 3 weeks ago. All fine. Booked it in for the 16000km service and thats where it all starts. The bike has been modified but to what extent i`m not shure. I drove it the next day and the power did not feel the same phoned the agent, they said not much they could have done. I heard a backfire twice and had a big dead spot on acceleration from low rpm on diffrent rides, now there is a funny noise on engine the like something rattling in a can(dont know how to explain)while on idle. Can it be a timing issue? any other ideas? There was no backfire before ever. Please can you help?
Cheers Morne.[mad][confused]

Furball
03-24-2009, 07:47 PM
does it sound like it is idling on one cylinder? my first thought would be make sure the plugs are in all the way and the wires are seated snugly.

around which area does the sound come from? left? right? top? bottom? need some more info dude.

LionBuell
03-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Furball, sounds more front cylinder lower on the motor, definatly not only on one cylinder.[confused]

Furball
03-24-2009, 08:02 PM
hmmmm, check and make sure you didn't break/lose/forget your return spring on your butterfly valve on your active exhaust. take off your airbox cover and move the servo with your hand and make sure it returns to normal on its own.

LionBuell
03-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Sounds like it is from the bottm part of the engine,
not idling on only one cylinder. did the screwdriver to the ear to the motor noiser on the big cover below the cylinders (i think around crank but not shure) thanks

dave_xb12r
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds like you've got some bad gas and your bike is pinging.

LeFox
03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
i would say your primairy chain is loose...

LionBuell
03-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi Dave please explain i don`t have that much know how, and the language is also a problem. I also think it is a setting problem. I`m from South Africa and it is quite late if i don`t respond i will tomorrow. Thanks to all for your help. Morne;)

LionBuell
03-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks LeFox that souds like possibility, will chek it out tomorrow with agents, and keep you guys posted. this forum is great so far away and getting answers, AWSOME.

dave_xb12r
03-24-2009, 09:00 PM
It's hard to tell what is wrong from descriptions. If it is a very quite noise, I think it might be bad gasoline. Did you just fill it up? If it is a loud noise, maybe it's your primary chain like Lefox said. He's normally right about these things [up]