PDA

View Full Version : breather mod

batman6669
03-25-2009, 03:22 AM
breather mods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so i see that when you are doing a breather re-route mod everyone does the two breather lines into one via a tee connector. well i was wondering if i could do two seperate lines with two seperate filters and drains? does anyone see any advantages to this idea or dissadvantages? i know that it will cost a little more but i think that with two lines there will be less restriction. : Does this make any sence or am I just creating more work for myself? I just bought the bike (04 xb12s lightining) I only rode it once before I started doing mods to her, so far bar end mirrors($10 on ebay) carbon fiber ramair lid, cut most of the air box lid off , gutted the muffler,cheese grater removal new led blinkers ($15.00 for 4 on ebay) and now I am having the siderails, taillight housing and the headlight housing powder coated metalic graphite grey.. She is going to look sweet!!

Buell_Cru
03-25-2009, 03:29 AM
Sounds like your on the right track with all your other mods but as far as the breather re-route goes you will be creating more work for yourself, spending unnecessary money, and adding clutter to the bike. You'll see what I mean when you route it with one line. I couldn't imagine trying to route two.

Stevenc150
03-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Yeah, the 2 lines would just add up to overkill unless you're just going for looks. Keep it simple with the one line. Never heard of any problems because of it and mine works fine.

stopie20
03-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I have a question on this, If you do an air box delete would it be just as effective to just install two k&n crank case breather filters on the vents in there existing location, I realize they would have to be cleaned more often , but It just seems a bit cleaner looking to keep it all in the air box...???

Furball
03-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Stopie, firechickenxb9r has that exact setup on his bike, he says he has no problems. I know when i drain my catch can i get no oil, only water. it would just evaporate as it comes out.

Furball
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
here you go, about half way down

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Removing-the-airbox-AND-the-cover

Buell_Cru
03-25-2009, 12:12 PM
It's just personal preference. I don't want to have to clean the filter constantly. The only time someone is going to see those filters is if you have a translucent cover.

stopie20
03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Its not so mutch what you would be able to see its more what is not seen... if that makes any sense... The set up I'm thinking about using is a combination of the two, and I think I've seen something like it on here already... Anyways It would basicaly be a "topless" air box leaving the bottom half. and three K&N filters one for the intake and two smaller filters for the breather tubes. Think that would keep the air box and intake air clean enough and judging by the oil residue in my air box already the breather filters would have to be cleaned about every 1500 Mi.

rider1086
03-26-2009, 02:07 AM
I too am thinking of something similar as stopie20. Instead of relocating the breather somewhere else on the bike, I am thinking of moving the breather to just outside of the filter through another hole in the bottom of the air box cover. I am just concerned with this because there would be no space for an oil catch before the breather filter. I have seen some oil residue under the cover but not an excessive amount. Would this clog the breather filter and defeat the whole purpose?