PDA

View Full Version : Buell 1125R Failure to Start ???

mudwater
04-18-2014, 10:58 PM
I purchased an ECM from ErikBuell last summer to go with my new HMF pipe for my 2009 1125r. The difference this made in the bike was amazing, however I have had a few problems since. The battery voltage will range while riding and fairly often the battery indicator will illuminate. It never seemed to cause an issue and the battery has been tested and confirmed ok. I have kept a tender on it whenever not in use and all seems ok.

Today everything changed. I suddenly dropped to low voltage errors on my ride home from work followed by the check engine illuminating and a comm error briefly appearing on the cluster. When I arrived at home I turned the bike off but have been unable to start it again since.

When trying to start it, it goes through its normal routine of needle pegging, engine light turning on then off, and the Buell USA message scrolling. When I go to start it it tries to turn over but only for a second and lights fade on the cluster. If I turn it off and back on the cluster comes right back up with lights on, battery showing plenty of voltage, and everything normal. As soon as I hit the starter the same thing happens again.

Any ideas? Should I throw the stock ECM on and see if that makes a difference? Could it be the stator? :(

I would be eternally grateful for any advice you might have.

Shawns
04-18-2014, 11:46 PM
If you haven't had the rotor fix, that would be a safe bet. If you have the rotor fix I would look at the voltage regulator. Start with charging your battery fully, and do your testing from there. If you don't have a manual, you can purchase or download it. Pm me if you have any question's I would be glad to help.

mudwater
04-21-2014, 06:34 PM
I was afraid you were going to say that. I don't have the rotor fix and feel I was one of the lucky ones to make it this far without having to do it. I will double check everything again to make sure but I may be going down the rotor fix path. I suppose this is the time to do it before I cant get the parts anymore. Thanks

heagachongoose
04-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Could it be the stator

It's about that time.. Shawns hit the nail on the head. Or at least that's what it sounds like it to me. Sounds like the typical stator failure. If for some reason it happens to be something else besides the stator causing your strife, at least you will have the peace of mind that the stator has already been taken care of. With an 09 stator failure isn't necessarily a matter of "will it happen", it's more of a "WHEN will it happen". But yeah. Definitely sounds like stator shenanigans. I'm glad to hear it happened to you in a situation where you were able to deal with it and make it back home [up]

mudwater
04-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Quick note: I did have the recall work done but I don't think they changed out the rotor on that. Either way I think I have to do some more digging. I am waiting for a call back from Harley as well though we all know how helpful they can be about Buells these days :)

mudwater
04-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Ok next problem. finding the crankshaft locking tool. they are nowhere to be found. Anyone have an idea on where I could pick one up. Thanks
http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/models/1125r/crankshaft-locking-tool.html