PDA

View Full Version : I had to drop my motor when I put it back in I lost spark

Jpamp
04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
So I saved a bike from going to the junk yard..... Isn't the greatest the idea but at least it's in one piece. I got it running after that I had to do a shifter pawl adjustment and detent clip. Than as I was going down the road the rear motor mount bolts broke from rust. I dropped the motor and couldn't easy out them so I had tig welded nuts to them and backed them out. I got it all back together and have no spark. The timing light isn't blinking either. I am not sure if it should while it cranks. Any help is appreciated thanks!

Jpamp
04-22-2014, 09:58 AM
I did have the front ground loose at first and saw it arc. Do you think that could burn something up?

buellxb9rs
04-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Check fuses first, check all grounds and plugs, timing pick up should always flash when triggered

Jpamp
04-22-2014, 11:33 AM
It seems all grounds and plugs are in good now but no timing flash. Do you think it's possible I fried something while welding. Everything was unplugged and all.

Cosworth
04-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Its possible you fried something with the welding, ive fried coils before like this.

Jpamp
04-22-2014, 11:49 AM
I doubt I did but I'm completely lost when it was welded the motor was off the bold completely and it was tig welded

Cosworth
04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Arc ignition is where its possible to mess up electronics.

Just re-read your statement. if the pickup and all the electronic goodies werent even connected it sounds like something might have just taken a crap after being jolted around during removal.

Jpamp
04-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Ok. Sorry if this sounds foolish but what is arc ignition

Cosworth
04-22-2014, 03:43 PM
First ignition of the torch, either strike start or footpedal start.

jetlee
04-23-2014, 04:56 AM
If you used a welder while electronics were still connected...you may've fried your electronics.

If you SAW a spark occurring at a ground strap...you may have fried your electronics.

Tighten all your grounds and double check everything electronic.

Jpamp
04-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Jetlee I had the motor out when I did it. I fixed the problem there was a wire split. But now after a few minutes of riding the clutch cable gets really loose. I hear a lot of noise from the primary. I have to do a chain adjustment but would that cause the cable to loosen?