PDA

View Full Version : Buell XB12R Braking

buellstorm
03-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Howdy,

New to the XB forums, new to Buell actually. I've got an 04' XB12R that I picked up out of Detroit recently.

The bike's got 8k on it, with about 3k on the front tire. I only bring it up because I wonder if the front tire was installed incorrectly.

When I brake using the front brake, the whole front end shakes so terribly that it feels as if the fillings in my teeth are going to rattle out. I've checked for residue on the front rotor, pitting, smudges, etc. It's pretty clean. The other thing I've yet to try is to lift the front end of the bike and spin the tire to see if it's warped.

It almost feels as if it's grabbing and releasing 10 times a second. It's hard to describe.

Anyhow. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd certainly appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,
J

Stevenc150
03-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Probably need to replace the pads and clean the rotor real good with brake cleaner. You could pull your current ones off, scuff them up on concrete real well and try it, but I'd just get new ones. If it's still no good check your front rotor for warping. Hope that fixes it.

Oh, and welcome to the addiction that is Buell!! And to the forum. ;)[up]

LeFox
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
- check tire pressure and fitment

- release the front rotor (not all the way, just so the tension) that tighten them again like you should (see free download manual upper menu)

- check the caliber and see if it isn't loose.

- check steering head bearings for play

- check front rotor for deformation

- check brake fluid level and airpockets

keisersozae
03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
mine started this and the dealer replaced the rotor. dealer said it was from improper storage before assembly? the bike rode fine when i bought it new but at about 5k miles it started pulsating as you described. i first threw some pads at it and it did almost stop but once the pads were wore in, it started again.

firechickenXB9R
03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Mine did the same thing. I replaced the rotor and then found out the hard way that it wore out the head stem bearings. They are cheap and easy fix.

buellstorm
03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Wow, thank you to everyone who responded! This is great! I've got to tell you, I used to belong to a jap bike forum (r1forums) and I couldn't get anyone to answer intelligently about an exhaust issue I was having. This is unbelievable.

Ok, so a few questions, and please bear with me:

1. What are the head stem bearings? Is this something to easily find in the manual? (I've got the manual from 05' that appears to have been downloaded and printed)

2. When you say "release the rotor", should I first unbolt the braking assembly, then bleed the brakes again?

3. What is meant by "check tire fitment"?

To be honest, I'll try just about anything as long as it's relatively inexpensive and won't damage any of the braking components (I checked on the cost of a new rotor - $300!). That being said, if I need to buy a new rotor, can anyone recommend a wicked cool aftermarket one? I'm all about quality, but have a hard time paying through the nose for a stamped piece of metal that costs $40 for other bikes.

Thank you so much to everyone for their advice. I've got time tomorrow to look into some of this stuff.

-J

Stevenc150
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM
That being said, if I need to buy a new rotor, can anyone recommend a wicked cool aftermarket one? I'm all about quality, but have a hard time paying through the nose for a stamped piece of metal that costs $40 for other bikes.
XB Stock Rotor (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/17112.html) = $145

Scalloped XB Rotor (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/9061.html) = $295

1) The manual refers to them as Steering Head Bearings located under the "Chassis" section.

Edit: Found some more - Look at Lefox's last post of this thread. (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Parts-Guy-Questions-and-Answers/BPG--Part-Number-for-rotor)

LeFox
03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
1. What are the head stem bearings? Is this something to easily find in the manual? (I've got the manual from 05' that appears to have been downloaded and printed)
like Stevenc150 said, under chassis...
point 2ยง18 ;)

2. When you say "release the rotor", should I first unbolt the braking assembly, then bleed the brakes again?
don't release the rotor, just release the bolts a bit (do not remove)
just release so the tension is of the disc.

3. What is meant by "check tire fitment"?
check it is fitted the correct way (there should be an arrow on the tire pointing to the front.

buellstorm
03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Great, thank you both so much, I sincerely appreciate the feedback! I will post with how it goes and if there's any change.

-J

firechickenXB9R
03-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Head stem bearings are the bearings on the frame were the triple tree (what your front forks or suspension is mounted to) mounts on the front of the frame.

buellstorm
04-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Hey everyone,

I had surgery on my wrist , I get the stitches out on Thursday. I have done some work to the bike. I wasn't able to do much though with a bum wrist. Anyhow, I swapped the brake pads around, one of them is wearing a little differently than the other, but only by 1 mm. One pad has got 2mm, the other about 2.75 to 3.00 mm left on it. I've not seen a brand new brake pad, so I guess I don't know what I should be expecting.

While I was working on it, I raised the front end and spun it to check the rotor to see if it was true. It's got a bit of a high side, but I can't see it wobble (taped a ruler to the fork), only hear it hitting the pads.

I'll let you know what I find out after I can get back on it. If you've got any thoughts on what I've posted so far, please let me know. Thank you,

-Jhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3440_20090326075930_L.jpg[up]

LeFox
04-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I raised the front end and spun it to check the rotor to see if it was true. It's got a bit of a high side, but I can't see it wobble (taped a ruler to the fork), only hear it hitting the pads.
what do you mean by highside?

I swapped the brake pads around, one of them is wearing a little differently than the other, but only by 1 mm. One pad has got 2mm, the other about 2.75 to 3.00 mm left on it. I've not seen a brand new brake pad, so I guess I don't know what I should be expecting.
i wouldn't do that, though...

buellstorm
04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
LeFox,

By highside, I mean it's rubbing in one area as I spin the wheel. I can hear it hitting the brakepads even though the brakes haven't been applied, it's very faint but I am able to hear it.

Am I asking for trouble by swapping which side the pads are on if they aren't brand new? Would someone be willing to send me a non-stock photo of how a new pad is supposed to look? Or even a photo of their pads installed as I believe this would be give me a general idea of how much pad should be left before replacing.

I get my stitches out tomorrow (woo hoo!) so I can troubleshoot this problem through to resolution.

Thank you for all of your responses and help!!
-J

:)

LeFox
04-08-2009, 08:47 PM
your pads rubbing slightly is normal...but not just in one place.
your pads should make contact flat, not only with an edge...this would point that your drum is sticking somewhere.

did the bike stand for a long period of time? was it ridden during rain?

when installing new breaks & pads, you need a ride-in period where the pads will set them selves on the disc surface. that's why switching them from on side to the other isn't a good idea.
...better to go and buy new ones.

buellstorm
04-09-2009, 02:17 AM
LeFox,

Thank you for the heads up on that, I really don't know all that much about the history of the bike other then the very recent (bought in January). I've personally put about 50 miles on it so far.

Can you recommend some decent pads?

Thank you!
-J

LeFox
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
here ya go: brake-pad info (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Ulysses-XB12x/brake-pads) ;)

bitter rod
04-09-2009, 03:21 PM
LeFox...I think I have a totally not gay man crush on you. :D

buellstorm
04-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, as expected, I got my stitches out this morning, went home at lunch and grabbed the bike for a "brisk" mid-western ride back to work. Since I flip-flopped the brake pads, the vibration has almost completely disappeared, however, it's been replaced with a grinding feeling. Rather than even try to troubleshoot this any further with the old pads, I'm going to order new pads this afternoon.

Thank you everyone,
-J

Stevenc150
04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
LeFox...I think I have a totally not gay man crush on you.
Bitter, after the sporty pics of your woman, there's not a doubt in my mind that you're straight as an arrow. ;)

LeFox
04-09-2009, 09:29 PM
LeFox...I think I have a totally not gay man crush on you. :D
damn...tried so hard to avoid that :o

buellstorm, i think your problems will be gone with the new pads ;)[up]

joelschmi
05-17-2009, 10:25 PM
did the bike stand for a long period of time? was it ridden during rain?

LeFox, I'm having the exact same problem and I regularly ride through the rain on my Ulysses. Is this not allowed with Buells?

Oldgit
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM

snrusnak
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
lol why bring this thread back up?