PDA

View Full Version : Belt issue

CanadianRocky
04-27-2014, 09:04 PM
My XT has about 12,000 miles and the belt looks like this. What do you think?

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/18679_20140427150329_L.jpg

chief_of_smoke
04-27-2014, 10:50 PM
think it would be a good time to get a new belt. looks like it could be rubbing on something as well.

go cytocis
04-28-2014, 04:35 AM
Yea, some visibility of the cords on the side is normal, but that looks pretty rough! I'd be changing the belt if it were me.

oh9bolt
04-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Â*looks like it could be rubbing on something as well.

This! The teeth of the pulley are missing paint where the belt is messed up... [confused]

CanadianRocky
04-29-2014, 12:45 AM
I took this pict into the HD shop and showed my buddy there. He said it looked like that part of the belt must have been up against something when the previous owner started it, say a rock or a high curb. Then it rubbed until he drove away.

He said if it was his bike, taking into account it only has 12,000 miles on it, that he would just run it. He said if the stringy stuff bothered me, just get a very sharp knife and clean it up. And put some black marker on it to make it look ok.....well, anyone other than Chuck saying it would make me suspicious, but this guy runs 150 HP big blocks and builds $100,000 customs.

UMDterp13
04-29-2014, 01:58 AM
I agree with Chuck.
Check Your lower belt guard, its probably rubbing. They can get bent during tire changes. All My Ulysses rub a little as well. There's Nothin wrong with that belt. I have heard of belts breaking at random intervals but that one should be fine.

The sides always fray a little. If the belt cogs get stripped or the belt has visible chunks missing I'd have a spare handy.

user_deleted
04-29-2014, 01:30 PM
but this guy runs 150 HP big blocks and builds $100,000 customs.

then follow his advice as clearly a 6-figure custom bike builder has more Buell expertise than you'll find on this site.

oh9bolt
04-29-2014, 01:37 PM
[up]

UMDterp13
04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
[up]

CanadianRocky
04-29-2014, 06:59 PM
then follow his advice as clearly a 6-figure custom bike builder has more Buell expertise than you'll find on this site.

If all you have to add is sarcasm to my posts, please don't respond to them.

user_deleted
04-29-2014, 08:35 PM
If all you have to add is sarcasm to my posts, please don't respond to them.
sarcasm is not part of my repertoire, sir. you had 3 of the most knowledgeable guys on this board (jesse----the chief---Go) strongly recommend you replace the belt and i concur 100%. i can tell you from prior experience there is nothing worse than being 200 miles away from base-camp and having a belt expire. if my perceived sarcasm induces you to replace the belt then mission accomplished.

CanadianRocky
04-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Now that is better. A well delivered point.

But lets talk about it.

First of all, it is not a Buell issue. It is a Harley issue. The engine and drive train are all designed by Harley. My buddy has been been riding Harleys for over 35 years and has owned two Harley dealerships. His current one has anywhere from 20 to 30 sitting on his floor, and he sells over a hundred a year. He has a couple of dozen used HD's at all times. He is a Harley certified Mechanic, and has three more working for him, one of which builds drag racing engines. One of his mechanics worked extensively on Buell's in a HD Buell shop. And he has five to 10 HD's in his shop getting worked on at any given time, from everything to minor tune ups to major overhauls.

Add to that that he builds and rides 150 HP belt drive HD's I would say he is well qualified to have an opinion worthy of listening to.

I am not saying that the opinions and points delivered here are not of value. And that of course, is why I am here.

Also, I never said whether or not I was going to replace it or not.

oh9bolt
04-29-2014, 11:55 PM
[cool]

lotusexcelle
04-30-2014, 12:51 AM
Virtually zero of the Buell's engine components fit into a harley case. How are they designed by Harley?

gtp3800
04-30-2014, 12:56 AM
just my 2 cents...

id rather buy a new one and not need it, then not have a new one and regret it when I do need it.

CanadianRocky
04-30-2014, 01:34 AM
gtp, yes I agree with that. And it is what I do with my Fleet of Tractor Trailers. Preventative Maintenance is the cheapest way to reduce the overall cost of any piece of equipment.

A new belt is a cheap piece of insurance.

CanadianRocky
04-30-2014, 01:39 AM
Virtually zero of the Buell's engine components fit into a harley case. How are they designed by Harley?

Maybe a better way of saying it would have been derivative of the HD design, under strong direction from HD itself.

go cytocis
04-30-2014, 03:57 PM
He said if the stringy stuff bothered me, just get a very sharp knife and clean it up. And put some black marker on it to make it look ok.....this guy...builds $100,000 customs.I guess if we were talking about a frayed belt on a $100k bike being tailored around to shows, I'd be more inclined to agree that a knife & marker to make it look good is all it needs.

However, in the real world of riding in rain & dirt for hours at a time, those ratty cords may wick grit into the belt which will disintegrate it from the inside-out. That's why I'd be replacing it myself.

CanadianRocky
04-30-2014, 08:22 PM
However, in the real world of riding in rain & dirt for hours at a time, those ratty cords may wick grit into the belt which will disintegrate it from the inside-out.

Good point. And possibly damage the sprockets as well.

I have been looking for a chain drive kit for the Uly 08 XT, but have yet to see one. Before I put in a new belt, I want to see if that is a real possibility.

djohnk
05-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Personally I would think about changing the belt for a new one, especially if I didn't have spare, but wouldn't get all bent out of shape and in a hurry.

I would keep the old one as a spare under the seat. Will be easy to change if your new belt breaks when your on a trip because its stretched out a little.

I wouldn't bother going chain drive, why? The belts last a long time, and are easy to change on the road if you know what your doing and carry the right tools.

lotusexcelle
05-01-2014, 12:59 AM
CanadianRocky - I'm really trying to understand. Your belt shows signs of needing to be changed so your default is to convert to chain? Maybe a Buell isn't the right bike for you. I'm not trying to be a jerk about it - but there are features that a Buell has that you don't really seem to mesh with. I'd suggest checking out a KTM or some such.

BuellRonin
05-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Hello,

I know you were only asking for opinions on the status of your belt. And with the addition of info about "Chuck", and his opinion. You think you would have just taken his advice and moved along without posting the question.

But it appears you would like a few more individuals to confirm his advice and give you piece of mind in letting the belt go as is. I'm not made of money, and I know its not cheap to replace, but many have suggested that course of action.

But at the end of the day, the decision and responsibility is yours. Again, not trying to add insult to the conversation.

Cheers!

CanadianRocky
05-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Putting on a chain is just an idea to simplify repairs. It deals more with my future plans on what I want to do with the bike. The KTM is a nice bike, but I find it to be a very complex MC for remote riding (such as South America or Africa or deep in Asia). And I like air cooled engines and have an extensive background in building and repairing HD's.

There isn't a single bike built today that I would take out of the box, and onto a long distance trip. I would modify everyone of them. The belt is not my main concern on the Buell, it is the Mag wheels. I can field strip and true a spoke wheel with basic tools, in less time than I could FedEx a new wheel if it broke. Which does not mean I would not take the Buell. The main advantage of the Beull is that I could buy a parts bike (inexpensively) and leave it at my buddies place at home, and have him strip & ship parts from it to me if I needed them because I could not effect a repair locally in an easy way.

This Buell is just the beginning of a project that will take several years of development. I will end up taking a bike that comes out of that development. It might be this Buell, it might not. I have never been a Brand Fan.

CanadianRocky
05-01-2014, 01:55 AM
I know you were only asking for opinions on the status of your belt. And with the addition of info about "Chuck", and his opinion. You think you would have just taken his advice and moved along without posting the question.

But it appears you would like a few more individuals to confirm his advice and give you piece of mind in letting the belt go as is. I'm not made of money, and I know its not cheap to replace, but many have suggested that course of action.

Well, Chuck could be wrong. I am not looking for piece of mind, I am looking for opinions which I hope are based on experience. The cost of replacement is not part of the equation for me.

Mostly this "project" is an exploration of thinking, and then placing that process into the journey itself.

lotusexcelle
05-01-2014, 01:57 AM
In terms of making a repair simple - the stock setup is second to absolutely nothing and converting to chain will only make the system require more repairs more often.

BuddhaBuell
05-01-2014, 02:18 AM
carry an old panty hose just in case and stick a hockey card in the spokes and call it a day.
:D

CanadianRocky
05-01-2014, 02:31 AM
carry an old panty hose just in case and stick a hockey card in the spokes and call it a day.

Superior plan! And a small addition to the tool kit...