PDA

View Full Version : Squealing sound - front brake pads?

fastmart
05-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi guys, I've got a squealing/screeching/chirrup sound coming I think from the front end.

I believe I've narrowed it down to the brake pads and wonder if anyone else has had the same issue - and solved it? I think it's the pads because on removal, they had razor sharp edges. I chamfered these off which virtually removed the issue (except at virtually no speed). Also used copper grease on backs of pads on re-assembly. - However the issue returned after about 10 miles or so...

Originally I thought is was the front wheel bearings as it sounded like an issue I've had when other wheel bearings have worn - so I had them changed. - No difference.

Other clues: noise continues when I cut the engine and coast and seems relative to engine speed - though it also has a chirrup to it that seems to mirror the engine revs when the engines on - but becomes smooth with the engine cut. There's no sound of it just wheeling the bike, running bike stationary with engine on, revving the in gear with the front brake on to create engine/transmission load.

Before I waste my money and try changing brake pads - any other experience of this?

Alien
05-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Check idler pulley bearings. I had a similar issue and it turned out the squeak was from the pulley seizing and the belt was sliding over it.

user_deleted
05-03-2014, 09:37 AM
checking idler pulley good suggestion but if you do narrow it down to front brake assembly i would ditch the junk stock chinese pads and replace with ebc hh pads. in conjunction i also recommend you externally clean the caliper and remove rotor from wheel, clean all stock hardware including springs, shims, locating washers. and have the rotor deglazed. all this greatly enhances front brake feel and effectiveness and eliminates all noises.

fastmart
07-05-2014, 04:39 PM
All sorted now! - It was indeed the idler pulley bearings. The rear wheel turned easily when jacked-up. But having removed the bearings from idler pulley wheel, one race had almost sized and the other was very rough.

Thanks everyone!

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Ulysses-XB12x/Troubleshooting/Replacing-Idler-Pulley-Bearings

303xb
07-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Alien rep +1