PDA

View Full Version : Fuel light Question

bbletterin
05-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Got stuck in the middle of nowhere yesterday-outa' gas. I was heading for gas station (got within 4 miles) but felt confident because fuel light never came on. I am trying to remember, does the light "prove out" when you start the bike. mine is not at this time- bad bulb? Ended up on side of road till my Son came and saved me & the wife. Long wait, and not one person even stopped to ask anything, bikers and even one county sheriff , all rode buy and just waved- a coke bottle of gas would have gotten me to the station. Disappointed but still wondering dose the fuel warning light prove out at start-up, i've never had it fail before. Thanks

Enemy Zero
05-05-2014, 12:30 PM
It doesn't run through a check of the fuel light on start up. The fuel level sensor may have failed as it should come on when the fuel gets low then give you a running count of mileage since the light came on in place of your odometer/time/trip.

Changing it out involves draining your fuel tank, removing your swingarm and pulling the fuel pump out. I would recommend just going off your trip meter in the future just to save you the trouble. If I hit 100 miles on my trip meter, I start searching for a gas station. I know my 9SX will get around 120 miles to a tank so I'd rather just fill up around 100 and not worry.

user_deleted
05-05-2014, 08:37 PM
what enemy said. check your fuel pump wiring harness. if it has green and brown wires (1 of each) it is older style and can be checked. test across those 2 wires with ohm meter and you should have between approx. 750-1100 ohms resistance. if not the low level sensor on the pump is bad and should be replaced.

WileyXB12X
05-06-2014, 11:36 PM
I'd start with the bulb (cheaper).

I've gotten to work with the light on and opted to get gas after work. Sometimes the light will come back on right when I start it and sometimes it will take a block or so before it comes back on. Regardless, the low fuel tripometer doesn't reset to zero like it does after I fill the tank.

bbletterin
05-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the input, just trying to figure out if it "out" or just malfunctioned this time. It has always worked (12000 mi) and this time I didn't fill up as my son gave me the gas from his Suzuki gsxr while he was working on it. Must say I had a hunch it was time for gas and got 4 miles from the station, but I also was very let down NO one stopped to even ask if there was a problem. Oh well modern times I guess.