PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shifting

racepro716
03-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey, wondering if anyone can help. Brand new,08 firebolt, 300 KM...about 180 miles. I turned the shifter over for a race pattern and the shifter keeps hanging up. I have traced this problem to the shift shaft, the shift linkage and shift lever all move freely. The shift shaft seems to hang up, not wanting to click back after a shift. Happens on upshifts as well as downshifts. Is this going to work itself out or do I have to send it back for warranty work. The nearest dealer is an hour away and a TOTALL pain in the ass to deal with. Mostly a Harley dealer if you know what I mean.

Thanks, Wayne

chief_of_smoke
08-11-2009, 08:34 PM
try take off the primary cover and hone the brass bushing. put few bolts in and see what happens. my need to hone some more. just remember to take off the oil seal. the shaft might be tweeked a little. that what i had to do on mine. harley tech thats a friend of my family told me to do. and it did the trick.

LeFox
08-11-2009, 08:41 PM
what chief said...

because of the reverse, the shift movement it not 100% aligned and creates more friction. by giving it a bit more room, you take away that friction and have free movement. ;)