PDA

View Full Version : Interested in getting a Buell as a first bike..

eneyman
03-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey all, so my brother found this company and I am interested in their bikes now. I have never owned a bike and am interested in getting one for long distance trips. The models I am looking at are the older S3T Thunderbolt around 1999 model and the newer XB12X. I like these touring style models and just wanted to know if the older Thunderbolt is reliable and a solid bike to get as a first? Some models i've seen have between 12,000-17,000 miles on them, is that not too high? Also, is maintenance and parts replacement for these expensive? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

maybebuell
03-29-2009, 03:32 PM
eney thought about buell myself for a long while owned many bikes through the years harleys included .. if your planning on touring and want trouble free riding...theres better options out there ...read through the posts and decide yourself goodluch with your choice..

LeFox
03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
if you're choice is long roadtrips in the most comfortable position, i would go for the xb12xt

like a bit of off-road now & then...get the xb12x

joeirby
04-16-2009, 04:26 AM
I have currently 3 bikes, HD 2007 Glide, Honda 2003 VFR and Buell 2002 S3T. when it comes to fun, the Buell is my bike of choice. paid less than all the others ($4200) but it is the best ride of all, but, it took a corbin seat and penskie shock to make it work. Bike has 30,000 miles with no problems and I can take it to any Harley shop for service and parts as it is still a sportster motor. Biggest problem is the bikes are somewhat rare and the owners want a lot of money for them. Just remember, its all about tork and not horsepower, than makes a bike easy to ride, that and good supension. Good luck.