PDA

View Full Version : Tires for Buell xb12s

ancusan
05-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Hey everybody, I've got 10K on my Buell xb12 and it's time for another set of rubber. I have Dunlop d208s right now but I'm not too crazy about them, especially in the wet. My first set was also Dunlops. What are some of the other tires you guys are running. I'm looking for mostly dry/hard riding, but I also want decent wet track.

HOVERJOCKI
05-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi
I've just got an XB12 over the last couple of weeks and my mates at work who ride alot are big Michelin Pilot Power fans. From what they have told me and what i have found from others who ride them is that they stick like glue and worth the money.
Thats all i have.
Justin

ancusan
05-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Has anybody else had problems with the Dunlop rear getting "squirrely" in the corners when you crack the throttle??

HOVERJOCKI
05-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Ancusan.
Glad you brought that up as i was starting to think it was just me. I am getting the same problem, even a slide if i lean over too much or at least that's how it feels when i bring in power...wasn't sure if it was the lack of experience or just too fast in the corner but i always thought i should carve in to the corner when the tires heat up.
Tried adjusting suspension and reducing tire pressuer to 30 psi as well.
I want to get those those Michelin Pilots but the bike has only done 2000 miles amd my wife gives me the eye when i mention ripping the exhaust off and upgrading.
Anyone else out there having the same problem ( with the tires, not wives )???
Justin

ancusan
06-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Hoverjocki, I try to feather the clutch to control that low end "kick" when I crack the throttle. I think I have pretty good experience on the Buell, but it can be a little unnerving. That's why I think (hope) better tires will make a big difference. By the way, you mentioned sliding and that's exactly what happened to me at the ERC course last week. Not such a great surface, some painted lines, some sand and a light rain. I was taking a right 90 degree corner at about 15 MPH, the rear slid to the outside, I counter steered and the next thing I was sailing off the bike diagonally to the left about 10-15 feet. I was told it was a "mini-high side". Just some bumps and bruises and about $100 in broken parts. All in all not too bad, but now I have even less confidence in that rubber!!

HOVERJOCKI
06-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Right there with you mate.
I'm not too keen about going in to corners right now unless they are long and fast.
Just got my owners manual and started reading through it....from what i have heard the suspension might be the key at the moment but i was also told that Harley are looking in to going to Michelin tires for all their newer bikes coming out...not for sure but a rumor.
Also, looking at different websites for the buell it looks like Buell changed from Dunlop to Pirelli in 06 from hearing what people were saying about the Dunlops..again not sure may be a rumor.
Anyway, going to revamp the suspension when i get a chance and go back to factory settings and play around with it to see what happens then if no joy still i will fork out for the Michelin Pilot Powers.
Jusin

Xb9sX
06-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I have Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires on my bike and they are top notch, and have my recommendation!

Leathercash
06-24-2007, 11:34 PM
The shoes I am currently running on are Pirelli Diablo's. I'll have to change them soon though,after only 3000 miles they are showing significant wear-down due to riding hard in corners:D.But god do they ride nice. HOOVERJOCKI and ancusan, I'm not sure i understand much about the rear getting "squirrely". Its funny though, when in the straights going over 120mph, my front tire get twitchy,it's weird and unsettling.

MrOrange
06-25-2007, 04:42 AM
I ended up in Alcoa TN on a odd job and just happened to bring my XB9s along with me--by no accident. For just 20 min or so to the east is the Dragon’s Tail by Deals Gap. I had the time of my life spending about 4 days total going up and down the dragon on a set of Dunlop Qualifiers. I have herd the stink about how people did not like the tires, however I had no troubles with them. Well under heavy breaking in a corner when releasing the front break and cracking the throttle to dig into the corner I did notice a bit of a front wheel slide. I just chock it up to weight transfer and learned to live with it. Weird... Never had any noticeable rear end problems though... I thought that I was getting pretty aggressive with the bike but I guess I really have to scrape the pegs hard to get the Dunlop’s to slip.

flyboy
06-25-2007, 06:14 AM
I have pirelle diablos on my 07 12xbs and love them so much as soon as they show wear I will go back with the same,no wonder buell switched to them.

mrdozer2you
06-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Its funny though, when in the straights going over 120mph, my front tire get twitchy,it's weird and unsettling.

Mine too. I ride the XB12SS and I think its due to the front end being so light, that and no front fairings. Has anyone noticed that especially on these bikes when you are on a straight and pin the throttle, the ass end drops alot. The weight transfer seems to pick the front end suspension up a bit, that combined with wind ( on our nakeds ) makes the front end "twitchy". I dont think that the best stabilizer in the world can fix this, it can help, but it won't go away. The Buell wasn't designed for high end speed, the light front end and piss poor aerodynamics make for lousy high speed stability. If it were made to go fast it would look like a Hyabusa.

congersCG
06-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Any one have any feelings about the Pirelli Scorpion Sync vs. the Diablo? I have just hit 38 hundred miles on my Scg in 2 months. New bike and my tire is gone! I came back from ridinng yesterday and the wear was unbelievable. I ride alot of rough roads and dont want to lose sticking to the road for a longer lasting tire, any advice?

congersCG
06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I have pirelle diablos on my 07 12xbs and love them so much as soon as they show wear I will go back with the same,no wonder buell switched to them.
Think Im going to go with your feelings, why switch if it works.

TripleTrouble
06-26-2007, 03:20 AM
I had two sets of Pilot Powers on my Speed Triple. Great tires, got very good mileage out of them to. Rode those right down to the edge. Prolly replace the 208's with them when they're shagged.

Chris

congersCG
06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Come to find out Harley doesn't stock the Pirelli Diablo's they told me that they are instructed to use the Scorpion, well guess I'll see how I feel about these tires tommorow. Not to exspencive 174. for the tire.

If any one out there would like Insurance quotes on thier bikes (or anything else for that matter) let me know. I write for (Farmers) Foremost, and they have a great motorcycle policy. www.farmersagent.com/jconger

Sawyer
06-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Im on pirelli scorpion sync tyres on my city x and they have'nt given me any problems, but im still tempted to try the pirelli diablos. Im due a change of tyres next week, i'll let you know if it's a good switch

congersCG
06-27-2007, 09:57 PM
200. bones out the door at HD of ukiah for a new scorpion sync, balance and mounted. Look at my old Diablo, this wear is after 3800 miles no crazy burn-outs or nothing, just hard riding.[mad]http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/454_20070627145441_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/454_20070627145517_L.jpg
Im hoping to get a hell of alot more miles out of the scorpion.

angel
09-21-2007, 09:30 PM
By the look of your tires we ride about the same. I see the rubber piling up on the side of yor tire on the back portion of the tread which means you're getting on throttle hard leaned over.That's whats fun in the Buell. Low end torque!!! But you have to resist getting on the gas from a dead standstill.With all the torque we have we can spin the tires for days.Do it in the twisties.

ctrucky
11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
i am no tire engineer, but it looks to me like these tires dont see many curvy roads. i live in Maryville, TN 20 minutes(or so) from the dragon, and if you have not been on it yet, you are missing out on some good curves. also, maybe the are pressure in these tires might be a little high??? just a thought. come and ride the dragon, they even have hotels at the end of it, and a restaraunt and gas station too. you wont even need to leave the dragon until your are ready to go home. just be careful, and ride to your limits, not somelses, we are always hearing of wrecks, and deaths from it.

partmanpartbike64
01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
clearly a usa rider in the uk are tyres get even wear right across the tyres we have some real twisted roads here also think youre presures need adjusting

dans03firebolt
01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
From the pics of those tires you really are doing burnouts you just don't want to admit it to yourself. No tire wears like that without smoking the tire up. I am sorry but 3800 miles and it looks like that means you are smoking the tire off. Besides that the sides don't even have that much wear to them. Looks like rider error to me more than bad tires wearing wrong. You can tell you are doing burnouts because the tire is more flat in the middle and that is from doing burnouts.

If you aren't smoking them up which I clearly think you are from those pics than you have far too much tire pressure in there and the other part of the tire isn't contacting the road forcing the tire to wear evenly.

dans03firebolt
01-15-2008, 01:44 PM
From the pics of those tires you really are doing burnouts you just don't want to admit it to yourself. No tire wears like that without smoking the tire up. I am sorry but 3800 miles and it looks like that means you are smoking the tire off. Besides that the sides don't even have that much wear to them. Looks like rider error to me more than bad tires wearing wrong. You can tell you are doing burnouts because the tire is more flat in the middle and that is from doing burnouts.

If you aren't smoking them up which I clearly think you are from those pics than you have far too much tire pressure in there and the other part of the tire isn't contacting the road forcing the tire to wear evenly.

sinpieces
01-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Mine too. I ride the XB12SS and I think its due to the front end being so light, that and no front fairings. Has anyone noticed that especially on these bikes when you are on a straight and pin the throttle, the ass end drops alot. The weight transfer seems to pick the front end suspension up a bit, that combined with wind ( on our nakeds ) makes the front end "twitchy". I dont think that the best stabilizer in the world can fix this, it can help, but it won't go away. The Buell wasn't designed for high end speed, the light front end and piss poor aerodynamics make for lousy high speed stability. If it were made to go fast it would look like a Hyabusa.

Well, i had that **** to a point i got real fed up (twitchy front end).
I tried a trail kit which make the rake 23 degrees instead of 21. I also have a steering damper. This works way better for me. Front end twitch is a mere memory. Now i go a lot faster and notice the rear end is becoming more wobbly in high speeds.
That is my problem now. Honestly, i really have in mind going for a Uly/SS swingarm with a special made rearshock. It's very expensive (since loads of OEM stuff needs to be changed) and i am afraid that the bike will turn corner slow (worstcase scenarios). This "conversion" will add 50mm at the rear end. Wow, the bike is 1345 mm in wheelbase now (with the trail kit) and 12 mm lower in the front.
Regarding tires. I can't believe tires could change all that. I got Pilot Road II in front and the Dunlop original in the rear. I will change the rear wheel when the Dunlop wears out. Though i noticed better grip with the Michelin in the rear. The Pilot Road II won many tests in wet weather also. I think only Metzler won with 1 point over the Pilot Road II in dry weather.
When i worked with the preload settings, i noticed that the rear suspension made the bike, either stiff and it was ok if i did't ride to long too far. gains was better cornering and acceleration did not made the bike drop. The lower preload setting was more comfy and nice for the ass. But as you say, it made the bike tilt back in heavy acceleration. Hm, trade this for that or vice versa.. Hate that! I really think these bikes will have much better high speed traction and control if they were longer. I should perhaps sacrifice myself for this knowledge!
Imagine a great rear suspension (better than Showa) and a 50mm longer rear end. Hm, exiting thought!!! :D

joedpr
01-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Diablo Corsa III :D

ctrucky
01-21-2008, 08:33 PM
After I put my 2cents worth a while back. I started reading more about how the low end torque causes the center of the rear tire to get eaten away. I had to have a rear, so I found a smokin deal on a michelin Pilot. It is a dual compound tire. It has a harder center, while having a softer outer. I have put about 800 miles on it, and it rides great! Of course, time(miles) will tell.

badbandit12
02-03-2008, 01:06 PM
the new M3's from metz. are also a dual compond tire they are very stiky on the sides and throws into the curve smoothly.

BuellPastor
02-15-2008, 01:27 AM
I like the idea of the Pilot too. As much as I love the curves, the problem is I use my bike mostly as a commuter that takes me through some school zones. While there are a few nice curves, I'm mostly just commuting. Also, when I ride to curves - I have to ride much further before I actually get to the fun than I do "in" the fun. I guess when these 208s wear out I should try a dual compound. I'd like to get the best possible life, water grip, and corner grip. What say ye?

LeFox
02-15-2008, 09:22 AM
What say ye?

just do it!
:p

diablo corsa III is also an option, a tiny bit better in rainy conditions, but then the michelin gets slightly better milage.

mezap
02-26-2008, 12:42 AM
badbandit12:
Just the man I need to talk to! I have been planning to switch to the Metzler sportec M3's, even have a set ready to go. It sounds like you have tried them on your buell. Did you get good performance/service from them? I have used them on a much heavier bike (honda interceptor) with good results, but I have been wondering how they would be on the 165 pound lighter lightning. I really like the Pirelli Diablos, but 3000 miles is ALL I seem to get from a rear. I think I have a good set up on the supension, don't want to screw with it. You really like the M3's?

fishgutz
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
@Conger. I believe you. Mine look exactly the same after about the same miles. My second rear tire in less than 8000 miles. Diablo.
Switching to Michelin Pilot Road 2CT.

I'm too old to do burn outs and I still have half inch chicken strips.

BigRedonBlack
05-28-2010, 03:05 PM
whats a good tire make and size for daily driving but is good with turns? i dont want to start a thread on something that is only 1 question

Buell_Cru
05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
For tires...Jake Wilson (www.jakewilson.com)

fishgutz
05-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CT.
$280 for the tires. Another $100 for mount/bal,taxes.

I might have saved $50 bucks ordering on line but I still have to get them mounted.
Besides, it is a good small local shop (not an HD dealer) And in those cases I don't mind supporting a local small business owner.

Wolfxb12ss
05-30-2010, 06:23 PM
maannn why get performance tires if you ride straight up on that thing???[confused] if your doing some real riding rock bridgestone btoo3 rs you will thank me later

Jerry C
05-30-2010, 11:41 PM
My XB9 came with Pirelli Scorpion Syncs, they are very good tires. I now run Pirelli Angel STs they stick great and should give better tire life.

Jabaniz
05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Another $100 for mount/bal,taxes.

i think thats pretty standard rate too, at the shop i go to they wanted 100 for mount and balance, so i asked how much if i just brought wheel in with new tire for balance, and it was like 35bucks a wheel, so I figured might as well let them do the whole thing, i dropped bike off and they let me test ride the new honda 1300 european sport touring type of bike time anyways

ceo79
05-31-2010, 01:25 PM
I bought a set of the 2CT's last weekend and love em!! Awesome tire!! :)

fishgutz
05-31-2010, 02:48 PM
@ Jab, That is what I figured too. I only save about $30 if I take the wheels off myself. No biggy in the grand scheme of things.
I do a lot of my own work on my Jeep because that saves me $K's.

Most of my miles are commuting because I ride every day with a rain forecast 30% or less and above 34 degrees. I extend my ride to work to add a few curves to the ride.
This has helped add time to the life of the mud tires I have on my Jeep. Soft compound great for off road but only good for about 30K miles on road.

Jabaniz
05-31-2010, 06:57 PM
cool.. i have a jeep too! what jeep you have?

I have a 1988 Commanche lifted,locked, geared with 33's, also have Grand Cherokee for daily driving.

fishgutz
05-31-2010, 10:56 PM
@ Jab. 1993 YJ. Lifted and modded up the wahzoo. Spent more in upgrades and repairs than I did for my Buell. $800 last month for a new locker. Broke the diff at URE. I'm up to about $17K over what I paid the Jeep. If you ain't breakin' it you ain't usin' it.
got videos of some adventures on YT. /user/fishgutzy

Alfatango1
05-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Another $100 for mount/bal,taxesWish I lived where you guys are at. Here in Southern California it's $150 to $175 for mounting two tires and not from the dealer. I'm trying to search around for another independent for around $50 per tire.

Jabaniz
05-31-2010, 11:28 PM
yah harley shop wouldnt even do it, said there was like a 2 week wait **** that place anyways, went to honda shop

fishgutz
05-31-2010, 11:40 PM
The dealer I go to for other service would do the tires same day if they had them in stock. But they charge full MSRP for the tires. Like the Diablo, $264 for the rear. Cost me $206 OTD from Max Speed where I am getting the 2CTs.