PDA

View Full Version : Slipping Clutch. Help!

Motorcyclepastor0209
05-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Hey guys I am new to riding and new to this site. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an 07 Blast. I love riding it. My issue is the clutch seems to slip into neutral randomly. I changed the transmission oil today and tightened the clutch cable following the owners manual. It seemed to definitely smooth out the gear changes but still randomly slips. Any ideas?

mrlogix
05-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Hi,
Congratulations on the Blast. You said

My issue is the clutch seems to slip into neutral randomly.
and

It seemed to definitely smooth out the gear changes but still randomly slips.

Are you saying that the gears are randomly hitting neutral or the bike stays in gear but the clutch slips randomly?

If you are actually hitting neutral randomly the issue would be a shift detent on the shift drum or the shifter.
If the clutch is slipping randomly it could be time for a clutch rebuild (new set of clutch plates and disks) not too hateful money wise.
How many miles are on the Blast?

Motorcyclepastor0209
05-15-2014, 02:53 AM
Ok I'll try to describe it. Ill be cruising along and all the sudden it seems like I'm holding in the clutch. Rpms accelerate but the bike doesn't. But if I'm in third gear, when this happens, it doesn't go back to neutral. I can just simply change to 4th. Does that make sense?

Motorcyclepastor0209
05-15-2014, 02:56 AM
The blast has 9k miles on it.

RossLH
05-15-2014, 03:12 AM
Sounds like a false neutral.

Motorcyclepastor0209
05-15-2014, 03:26 AM
So how so I fix it? Clutch rebuild or new clutch?

RossLH
05-15-2014, 03:34 AM
I don't think it's a clutch problem, I think it's a shifter problem as mentioned before.

mrlogix
05-15-2014, 06:36 AM
If you are actually hitting neutral randomly the issue would be a shift detent on the shift drum or the shifter.

Motorcyclepastor0209
05-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Ok so with the thought it has to do with the shifter or the detent on the drum, where do I go from here? Any links to how to fix it would be awesome.

Cosworth
05-15-2014, 01:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYtO2jj6MFs

Motorcyclepastor0209
06-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Hey guys so it's been a few weeks since I last posted. So here is what I have done with this. I removed the primary cover. Noticed some pieces of what looked like a washer in the bottom. So to investigate further I removed clutch assembly and engine sprocket as one unit as the service manual says to do. When I took them off, my detent plate literally fell off in the floor. Obviously the detent retaining ring was the little "washer" in pieces in the bottom of the case. Anyway, When I picked up the detent plate, I noticed it was completly chewed up on both sides. I also noticed the detent pins were all at different lengths. I checked out everything else and it all looked great. So I ordered a new plate and rings. I had to tap in the pins to get them at the correct length. I installed the new plate. All good so far. I did the Pawl adjustment as according the the service manual. Now here is my question. Is there any lining up I need to do on the main shaft when reinstalling the clutch and engine sprocket? Or do I just put them back on?