PDA

View Full Version : Wheel change

Odin
03-30-2009, 03:43 PM
BPG- Is it possible to get an exact service time at Arrowhead. I'm thinking of changing my wheels to another color, and Want to know if they would do it in One day -since the bike is my only ride, i'd have to leave it there on a day off from work.
Thanks

Trill
03-30-2009, 07:09 PM
It is pretty easy to do yourself if you have some tools and some stands :) You will probably still have to have the wheel bearings replaced and tires swapped at the dealer. Would save some money. And since it will be your only transportation it wouldn't hurt to get some tools and stands to work on your bike yourself.

just my 25Cents

Stevenc150
03-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Would save some money. And since it will be your only transportation it wouldn't hurt to get some tools and stands to work on your bike yourself.

just my 25Cents
+1 on what Trill said. You might as well "gear" up since it's now your sole form of transportation.

And I only had 2 cents to give. [sad]

BuellPartsGuy
03-30-2009, 10:26 PM
2.5hrs @ $85 per hour est.

Trill
03-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Only cost me $70 to get new tires put on since I removed and installed the wheels myself. If I had brought it in, it would have been in the $120 range. More gas money :) and the job wasn't too difficult.

Well actually, I paid $30 for a torque wrench and $10 for a set of hex bits for it. and also had to pay $160 for the T-rex stands (there are other ways to lift bike though). Other than that you just need an adjustable wrench and some anti-sieze along with the provided axle remover tool in the kit under the seat. If you do not have a manual get one for sure! It has plenty of info to do your own work.

Hope this helps :)

Odin
03-31-2009, 03:01 AM
thanks all. BPG i'll most likely check into it next month when i'm ready to buy them.

Trill/steve I do most everything myself, but i'd have no way to mount the tires anyway correctly, and messing around with the wheels (ie-the one thing that would most affect me falling off the bike) if I did something wrong is not something I want to chance [smirk]

Trill
03-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Yeah do not work on the stuff if you are not comfortable. The only reason I decided to try it myself was because of the way the buell was made with the non adjustable axle. You just tighten it up and its dead on :) It was a piece of cake and after the job I got a nice 100 mile ride in. Now its going to snow, oh my... I love minnesota!

Stevenc150
03-31-2009, 04:01 AM
I understand Odin. I wouldn't Mount the tires on the wheels myself either, but my local tire shop will mount them for a little over $50. So my labor (taking off & mounting wheels) would be Free this way. ;):D

Buell_Cru
03-31-2009, 04:10 AM
Odin,

What color are you looking for?

Odin
03-31-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm looking to change from cherry bomb red, to Hero Blue (which was the original color I wanted) but the dealer didn't have, and I wanted the bike then and there :)

Buell_Cru
03-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Gotcha, I have cherry bomb read and I'm looking for black.

Odin
04-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Another quick question. in the latest pix i've seen, The Hero Blue airbox covers all have some rubber looking X on the top. Does that come with it all the time, and if so, is it just glued on and comes off easily? Don't really care for it.