PDA

View Full Version : More Tires...

MnBueller
05-19-2014, 12:52 AM
I don't want to start a big brouhaha here, but I have to ask about which tires Bueller prefer.
I ride mostly as a commuter and on twisties for fun, but still love the occasional dirt road. Like most of us.
It looks like there are about 3 or 4 choices among the big brands; Pirelli, Metzler, Continental, ?
My Scorpions are about gone, so it's time to spend sme more money.
Who wants to give me their two cents worth?

Negative
05-19-2014, 04:57 AM
I don't have an XBx ... But I prefer to run the Michelin pilot road 2's on my XBr/s ... good life, good grip, and no surprises on the roads when you're leaned over on them ... (which is a good thing lol) ...... of course I doubt those tires would really be a great choice for dirt roads ... just my 0.02 :)

MnBueller
05-22-2014, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the report Negative, I appreciate it. But as I ride a Uly for the express purpose of hitting the dirt once in a while, I do need something with a bit more teeth.
But where is everyone else???
I thought for sure I'd have everyone stumping for their favorite rubber.
Maybe there are no favorites due to lack of real choice??[confused]

Stillonit
05-22-2014, 01:52 AM
Scorpions are about the best 70/40 tire,,,, You can get some knobbier tire for your X but road handling will greatly suffer.

Stillonit
05-22-2014, 01:59 AM
I would have kept the Scorpion on mine as they did handle great on the road, but Im mostly road on my X and the street tires handle even better.pr-2 oh sorry 70/30 on the Scorpions

MnBueller
05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Yeah, there are some knobby Contis that would be awesome on the logging grades around here, but not so much on my road trips around the great lakes. I've found the best prices on the Scorpions, but I've always been one to like trying something new. Maybe I will stick with them anyway though. Thanks Stillonit!

ztied
05-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Somebody posted on this before,in this forum,and had good info on some tires with a great price,I am wanting to say they usually came on a bmw.Let me see if I can find the link

bwylie_99
05-22-2014, 01:26 PM
The Michelin 2ct's have worked out excellent for me. Super grip and long life

ztied
05-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Continental Twinduro TKC80-Dual Sport
I think these were like what I saw on here with some reviews,and decent price

MnBueller
06-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys...those Michelins look sweet, but I really need something more dirt worthy.
The Conti's look even better, but only as a second set. I wish I could afford another set of rims for those.
Still leaning towards sticking with the Scorpions unless I hear different.
Wondering too if I should just change the wheel bearings at the same time?
Are there any better replacement bearings available??[confused]

jean21
06-28-2014, 09:02 AM
first , a Michelin pilot power 2 ct on rear , very good grip but too soft
then Michelin pilot road 3 , long life and good grip
and just from yesterday , Metzeler Z8 interact K special, so i will see nexts days

MnBueller
07-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Well, I went with the Pirellis and really like how she handles with new rubber.
Thanks for the input everyone.
I really want a set of those Conti's on a spare set of rims...
Or maybe I'll just find a nice KLR and use that for true off road ridiing. :D

djs2k2
07-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I don't go off road but for on road use only I use to be a Hugh can of the diablos but just converted to Michelin Pilot Power 3

303xb
07-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Pilot roads and pilot powers don't do you one ounce of good on a uly offroad. To answer your question, this tire comes highly recommend from a buddy if mine who mostly rides a GS. He swears by them and does some pretty serious highway time, keeps up in the twisties, then tears off down dirt roads in the rockies.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5367/i/metzeler-enduro-3-sahara-rear-tire

303xb
07-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Tire size may not translate over...but the tire tread is what you might look at.

303xb
07-06-2014, 06:53 PM
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-anakee-3-tires

I'm a big Michelin fan...these have some great reviews, don't know anyone who rides them though.