PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan

wendell
05-25-2014, 03:16 AM
The cooling fan on my '08 Ulyssess XT is not coming on. Is this serious? Any suggestions for checking it out?

ich
05-25-2014, 06:50 AM
http://ecmspy.com/ug_mono/V2.0/liveandlogdata.shtml#active-tests

Negative
05-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Depending on how hot you allow your bike to get ... It can mean the death of it honestly ... ECMspy has a diagnostic page where you can manually trip the fan to run for about 3 seconds to make sure it's functioning on -07 bikes ... The DDFI 3 +08 bikes can't be modded with ECMspy to my understanding ... My suggestion is to try either tripping or jumping the fan relay manually to see if the fan comes on to see if it still functions ...

thrstrmech
05-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Remove your seat and look closely at the fan shaft and surrounding area for oil residue and or small metal flakes or debris. Your rear cylinder rocker box gasket or retaining bolts seal may be leaking and oil spraying on the fan or the fan motor may be worn. Just visual ques that there may be other factors involved with the fan not running. I mention the oil and or metal flakes due to having both issues when mine died. Read your codes to see if there are one or more displayed which may help pin point the issue or narrow down where to go from there.

glenn r
05-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Replace fan yourself takes a little time but fan$140 engine rebuild $$$$$$$$

jimijeans
05-27-2014, 06:05 AM
I will have to assume that the bike ECM has regular settings from factory. Check your fuse. Then if the fuse is good, you will need to test the fan.
The fan is a two speed fan. you can trace the wires down to the fan plug and make sure to use a proper fuse when testing the fan. make yourself a fuse plug to insert inbetween the hot wire . If the fan does come on it will usually come on high speed.
That is because you will be straight wiring the fan. The Low speed is what usually goes out. Make sure to use the bikes battery to test the fan not a car or truck battery. The bike really should not be ridden if the fan does not work. Should the Fuse be blown replace the fuse with the same type, and the same amp.
If it continues to blow the fuse there is either a short in the wiring or the fan needs to be checked and or replaced.
check with your dealer and American Sportbike .com on a fan be that should you need one. Small things first *Jimi