PDA

View Full Version : speed sensor/tps input

stevengeorgia
05-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I noticed that when My speedometer drops to 0, It jumps back up when I give it throttle, This is after i had taken the vss out and cleaned the metal off it...I'm also having idling issues, it's an '08 xb12xt, I was curious to see if anyone had replaced the tps and resolved these issues, Or if They noticed the same thing? I've neglected to do an intake gasket test, The right-side air intake has a slipping retainer screw(I can get it with vice grips holding it, But lazy)It's coughing, weezing at idle...I've done tps resets, To no avail...Isn't there a ford tps that fits? Thx, Y'all

Negative
05-29-2014, 07:20 AM
If you're looking for a TPS part number for yours ... it's right here ... and yes that is for the +08 bikes ... you'll need a super small 7mm wrench to get it off also ... (credit for the part number goes to JOEL9)

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae298/yostevo052/2621_20120731132957_L.jpg

as far as helping with that diagnosis ... I'm not as familiar with the DDFI 3 bikes as I need to be to offer reliable advice ... hopefully I've helped some with the part number tho ! ...

stevengeorgia
05-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Yes sir, Thx for the input , I'm debating to replace the tps AND the speed sensor, Or the speed sensor first, etc...danged conundrums...

[up]

stevengeorgia
05-30-2014, 06:09 AM
dang, So no one's had this dilemma? To me, It almost makes sense that the tps would signal to the vss, Red/white wires are the interconnection...Anybody replace your tps at a certain mileage? Mine's got 39,260 miles on 'er...Thx

Negative
05-30-2014, 05:44 PM
I imagine you're not getting a lot of input because the DDFI 3 bikes changed a bit from the DDFI 2 ... I, for one, don't want to make shot-in-the-dark assumptions about what might be the problem or where to look and waste your time man ... I'm just helping with what I can ... lol

My 0.0002¾ cents worth says you might want to look at the speed sensor for a slight grounding on the signal wire coming from it ... the TPS shouldn't have anything to do with the speed input on the gauges ... what I would think you could do is, find your VSS plug (should be a three prong) and check the output from the speed sensor itself when you bump the throttle ... (output should be 0 volts normal and 5 volts when one of the teeth on the trans passes in front of the pickup I believe) .. if it jumps up on the output when you goose the bike your VSS would be suspect in my book ... if you see no output change it sounds like a wiring issue to me ...

Please take note that I'm only drawing off of DDFI 2 knowledge here ... But I don't think this aspect should have changed for the DDFI 3 bikes ....

stevengeorgia
05-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Thx negative, I believe that is the problem, Though I haven't checked the voltage, It did spark once, Freaked me out, The first time I took it out for cleaning...Am looking around for a vss, Just in case, And I'll check the ground coming from/going to it...I appreciate your help in this matter, I'm surprised no one's mentioned vss problems, Other than "I replaced the vss and the speedometer Stopped jumping around" lol :D

stevengeorgia
06-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Yep, new vss, And she's back to normal ! I'm very happy now...! Thx for your help, negative!:):D

Negative
06-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Hey man no problem !! ... glad my suggestions pointed you in the right direction man :) ... I'm even more glad it was just the sensor (even tho that results in money spent) vs a wiring issue ........ because I just HATE dealing with wiring bull**** ... [down]