PDA

View Full Version : For race use only??

jinxd12
05-29-2014, 11:54 PM
While tracing down a problem on my bike I removed the front fairing and found I have a NON stock ECM I'm assuming? It says for race use only on it.

Questions I'm having are...
I have a stock exhaust but a k&n filter and Swiss cheesed air box. Also the exhaust valve mod. Is this enough to justify the ECM? Or do I really need a muffler other than stock?

Any extra opinions /options/info is appreciated!

buellxb9rs
05-30-2014, 12:00 AM
that ecm is for the buell race exhaust not really setup for the stock exhaust

jinxd12
05-30-2014, 12:02 AM
So what do I need to do or can I do without spending a grip of money? Detune it?

Cosworth
05-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Should run fine, might be a bit fat in the fuel dept. Wont have every ounce of power it could have.

jinxd12
05-30-2014, 12:16 AM
Can it be tuned with ecmspy to get back some power and fuel mpg?

Cosworth
05-30-2014, 12:25 AM
no ecmspy on a race only module, it will brick it up and be unusable.

Cosworth
05-30-2014, 12:32 AM
What year and engine size is the bike?, I might still have a stock ecm laying around.
Custom tuning will generally outshine a race only ecm if your pretty knowledgeable at it. I run a race only ecm on my xb9 with race exhaust and open airbox.

jinxd12
05-30-2014, 12:35 AM
04 xb12r ... Can a race ecu be tuned??

buellxb9rs
05-30-2014, 12:37 AM
yes it can, get ecmspy and read the tuning guide. you could sell the race ecm and get a stock ecm and tune it even

Cosworth
05-30-2014, 12:48 AM
I didnt think race ecms could be tuned? am I wrong?

818Guy
05-30-2014, 01:08 AM
EBR sells an ECM for a "stock" setup...

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/parts-accessories/fuel-injection/xb12-preprogrammed-ecm.html

buellxb9rs
05-30-2014, 01:17 AM
ebr race ecms require their software to tune, not buell race ecms

jinxd12
05-30-2014, 02:56 AM
Well I suppose I'll look for an ECM and sell this one....anyone know the going rate for one? Or want to scoop it up :)

lawdog
05-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Yes you can tune an EBR ecm and a factory race use only ecm. I do not know if you can tune an EBR with ECMSPY but there is nothing with the ECM that prevents you from altering the eeprom. Of course they say that to get you to buy their tuning software but I can read and write to an EBR eeprom just fine. Same as stock or a race ecm.

If I was you I would either gut your stock muffler or buy an aftermarket muffler. Why detune? Aftermarket mufflers sound so much better and improve performance. Change muffler and your done. Sell your stock one to recoup some of your costs. Many guys on here buy them to gut and resell.

chief_of_smoke
05-30-2014, 02:36 PM
are you sure it is the stock muffler and not the race muffler? i have the same year bike with k&n and race ecm. my air box is still stock. my exghust valve is gone as well. and i assume that my muffler is the race muffler. mine runs fine. if it aint broke done fix it untill it is. you can tune you ecm, i havnt. just dubble check every thing first. but just dont throw a stock ecm into it thinking it will be better. another example i have is my v-rod. i put a k&n into it, but havnt changed out the pipes or put a tunner on it. it my run a little lean at times but it still runs greats. i did contact a compay about a programable tuner and he actually told me i didnt need one, opposed to every one on a v-rod forum. with that said. if you want to tune it to get alittle more out of it go for it. just be careful on what you change.

jinxd12
06-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Anyone know the differences in looks between stock and race mufflers?

buellxb9rs
06-03-2014, 02:30 AM
stock has an outlet on the left side race has it on both sides. a hawk exhaust has an exit on both sides but it would be shorter than both the stock and race

jinxd12
06-03-2014, 02:41 AM
Badass! Thanks man... All this learning and it keeps getting better. Bought the bike was told it was stock besides air filter. Now I have a buell race muffler and ECM! Now I know the reason for lack of power down low.

Anyway to gain some low end power back?

buellxb9rs
06-03-2014, 02:59 AM
Even with a race ecm and exhaust it's still not a perfect tune. If you tune the bike even more it will run better, won't fix the dip in power at 2500 or so but would be better. Most likely your afv is at 110-120 if you tune it you could get it much closer to 100

jinxd12
06-03-2014, 03:11 AM
my advice? do you mean advance? im slightly confused by what you mean?

also by tuning it do you mean take it to the dyno....im not really into spending a million bucks tuning. i do have ecmspy and the cable...possible to find something i can load into the ecm that someone has made to work better with this setup?

buellxb9rs
06-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Sorry. Fixed my post. My phone doesn't like the word afv. Anyways. You can tune it with ecmspy, megalog and using your cable. You can find the tuning guide on here

Negative
06-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Thank god lawdog FINALLY answered my question on the "tuning an EBR ECM" topic ....

Thank you Thank you Thank you .... I've been hesitant to give a "yes" or "no" answer to that question every time it pops up as a question in a post ... now that I know somebody has done it without issue that clears that up nicely ...

UMDterp13
06-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Someone stole your race pipe cause it was worth more than stock, they forgot to take ECM or didn't have one to swap.

Yes any ECM can be tuned if you know what your doing, I don't like ECM spy cause it's generic.

A custom map for your part of the world is best. I'd figure out your problem and ride the darn thing. I probably have a stock xb9 ECM, definitely have 3 or 4 12 ECMs for multiple years and bunch of pipes...

jinxd12
06-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Umdterp...who was that post aimed at? Didn't make sense to me?

jinxd12
06-04-2014, 05:00 PM
You didn't read the full thread or something? I just didn't know what I had until further research

BamaBuellBiker
10-27-2014, 01:51 AM
Love my xb12, Doing track days now and want some upgrades, what is the best (and cost worthy) upgrade. Just got a K&N air filter, should I get RACE ECM, Exhaust, performance oil pump, gear ratios, compression ratios? anything!!

Also Can I download race maps onto a Stock ecm?

I am naive about Performance exhaust, they pull more torque right? so whats better a Race ecm with the stock actuator value in the xb12 exhaust or would I need to get a Race ecm and exhaust; also best brands of exhaust would be awesome.

Much appreciated

lawdog
10-27-2014, 02:54 PM
1. Open up the airbox, swiss cheese, custom, or aftermarket. Install K&N filter.
2. Install aftermarket or gutted stock muffler.
3. Install EBR ECM or tune stock ECM.
4. If you want better acceleration at the expense of top end mph install XB9 sprocket and chain for lower gear ratio.

From here is gets expensive....
5. Install big bore kit, head work, and cams
6. Sell bike and get EBR 1190

Exhaust and tuning will yield improvements in all rpms. Remove/disable stock exhaust valve and tune it out. Gutted stock exhaust can is cheapest. Dean Adams is a work of art. Search on here, there are quite a few exhaust makers. I don't think any one is the "best" anymore then one particular auto exhaust manufacturer is the "best". Price, features, sound, performance all factor in.

Search on here for more details of each one.....