PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused about EBR & the engines.

Lowlife
05-31-2014, 01:09 AM
I know Harley shut down Buell in 2009. When was the Rotax block last used? I thought EBR used them for a time.

I'm also confused on who built the 2013 motors (1190RX & RS).

And if there's a short answer for: is EBR still building EBR bikes, and also associated (49% for 25 mil.) with Hero? Or is the only choice a Hero now -- if you want an EBR?

I've read where EBR builds their own motors but not sure when/if that's currently, or ever, been the case.

The more I read/research, the more confused I'm getting. An 'expert' is asserting that 'EBR is now entirely built by Buell", I know that's not an accurate statement. I'm sure moco lawyers would agree.

If somebody has the time to 'dumb it down' for me I would sure be grateful. Many (long) articles make no mention of the engine manufacturer -- just that it's a 4 stroke, water cooled, v-twin.

Perhaps there's a thread I should read? Thanks a ton.

EricS
05-31-2014, 01:24 AM
EBR is made by EBR, the 1125s used the Rotax motor which is also used in the 1190s.

Hero bought 49% of the company, but EBR still makes their own bikes. Erik provides some design help to Hero on their bikes but Hero builds their own.

818Guy
05-31-2014, 01:28 AM
49%. I don't think Mr. Buell wants another Harley situation. ;)

buellxb9rs
05-31-2014, 01:32 AM
The new engines are not rotax. Erik owned all patents etc for the rotax engine, design etc. They gave rotax specs requirements etc to build the engine as they were going to have Porsche build the engines (if i remember correctly) That's why the rs had a rotax but their new rx says ET-V2, it stands for East Troy V Twin

jetlee
05-31-2014, 01:39 AM
*1125's were built by Rotax to Buell spec, 1190's are now built in-house by EBR.
*EBR owns 51%, Hero owns 49%
*EBR builds EBR, Hero builds Hero
*EBR aids Hero with design, Hero aids EBR with funding.

Lowlife
05-31-2014, 01:42 AM
Super appreciate the info!

snrusnak
05-31-2014, 01:50 AM
I thought EBR started building their own engines(not rotax). Even though they appear very similar, they are actually different (disclaimer, I have no idea what I'm really talking about...)

buellxb9rs
05-31-2014, 01:59 AM
The 1190rs engines were 1125 engines, disassembled that EBR built with upgraded 1190 parts to make the 1190 engine

Lowlife
05-31-2014, 02:45 AM
I can sleep now. Thank you! [up]

GregoXB
05-31-2014, 03:01 AM
The now out of production, Buell 1125R and the 1125CR had Engines built by Rotax. The design of the engine was a collaborative effort between the company previously known as "Buell" and Rotax. Buell engineers worked with Rotax engineers, and together they came up with the final design. But, most importantly, Buell retained exclusive rights and patents for the engine.

EBR (Erik Buell Racing), which is all the same people from Buell, is now building and selling the 1190RS and 1190RX. The engine is similar to the Rotax, with several key changes allowing it to make much more power. Also, now the engine is built, designed and assembled in the USA.

mrlogix
05-31-2014, 03:11 AM
49%. I don't think Mr. Buell wants another Harley situation.

[up][up][up]

That's why the rs had a rotax but their new rx says ET-V2, it stands for East Troy V Twin

[up][up][up]

But, most importantly, Buell retained exclusive rights and patents for the engine.

[up][up][up]

The engine is similar to the Rotax, with several key changes allowing it to make much more power.

DON"T STOP NOW BY GOD. KEEP GOING [cool][cool]

[up][up][up]

mrlogix
05-31-2014, 03:18 AM
you guys just impressed the F*&k out of me. trying to give some rep points, but it only lets me do one every couple of minutes.

d_adams
05-31-2014, 03:26 AM
No pics from the tour yesterday (Thursday) but it is ENTIRELY built in house at EBR. Yes, someone else does the castings, machining, etc. but it's BUILT there. It takes roughly 2 days to go from bare cases to a running and crated/shipped motorcycle. 16 stages or stations, roughly 40 minutes per station. Absolutely amazing to see it in progress and happening right in front of you. There's a video from fox news out there somewhere that shows some of it, including the "rolls testing" for final checks. Yeah, they actually ride it inside the building, but it's on a platform that has huge rollers on it. Pretty cool how it works.

mrlogix
05-31-2014, 03:29 AM
been past two minutes, posted on other pages...why won't it let vote again?

08herobolt
05-31-2014, 03:31 AM
Everyone is correct. The basic architecture for the 1190 is similar to the 1125. Erik wanted certain things to be part of the 1125 engine and Rotax was concerned because the engine concept was so different from what they did in the past. They (Rotax) needed to make sure the engines were guaranteed to cover the total design cost, hence Erik retaining the intellectual and design rights at a cost that would cover engineering and production startup costs. In fact, Rotax was really nervous about the venture from a $$$ standpoint and almost didn't produce the engine. We all got pretty lucky and benefitted from Both Erik and Rotax taking a leap of faith.

Dean's right. It's pretty amazing how quickly the bikes get built. The engines get built in a very short distance by several people.

Negative
05-31-2014, 12:59 PM
This was some very nice info to know here ! .... (logix ... do I get rep for that too??) ... :D

d_adams
05-31-2014, 01:23 PM
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/3577935064001/motorcycle-legend-rebuilds-bike-brand/#sp=show-clips

ztied
05-31-2014, 01:31 PM
cool info

mrlogix
05-31-2014, 01:31 PM
(logix ... do I get rep for that too??) ...

not for that post..but I was impressed by your ecm map explanation on another post yesterday..so ok :D

Negative
05-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Lol ... occasionally I can be of use ... not often but sometimes I do blunder into a job well done ...

TX_BUELL
05-31-2014, 06:08 PM
@ Dean.........guess we know where your vacationing at :D Cool video link l. While your there convince them to map and sell an ECM for your XB1 exhaust.......looking forward for my pipe and thx for teaser pics on it [up]