PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak in the airbox???

joelschmi
04-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and still seeking a used XB. I looked at an '06 tonight and while looking in the left side air scoop I noticed oil leaking onto the top few cooling fins on the cylinder (think it was the rear one). The current owner had no idea about this so he pulled off his airbox cover and when he lifted the air filter the whole thing was oily underneath on the inside cavity of the filter. Not goopy, just a light film, like a well cleaned & oiled K&N.

Incindentally, the owner works at the local Harley plant so he called one of his work buddies with more engine knowledge to ask what's up. The man explained that this is normal for all Evo engines. Says it's due to the "blow-by" from the cylinder. Some part of the fuel charge gets cycled back into the air filter - I'm guessing unburnt fuel - to be re-used.

Is this legit? I was ready to buy the bike until I found this and I'm wondering if it's a showstopper. I was thinking it could be a head gasket or something of that nature. Thank you for your help... I went for a test ride tonight and now I can't wait to be riding one of these beasts full time!

dave_xb12r
04-01-2009, 05:20 AM
This is normal. A "breather reroute" mod will fix this issue and make your bike run better at low speeds. It will cost you @25 in parts and an hour of your time. Well worth it. :D

xtremelow
04-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Yup, does it to every Buell just the hose from each cylinder for pressure.

All the reroute does is T's the hoses together and adds a small K&N style filter to the end keeping the oil film out of the airbox.

LeFox
04-01-2009, 10:09 AM
same topic, other forum...

here's the link: click (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Oil-leak-in-the-airbox)