PDA

View Full Version : Damn...Why did the uly run perfect this morning, Then!

stevengeorgia
06-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Dawwwg, Y'all! I am getting very disheartened with my uly, An '08 with 39, 280 miles on it...I replaced the vss(speed sensor)yesterday, I figure the ecm has errors on it from that? I had disconnected, And cleaned the rear ground points...I went for my weekly ride to a bike meet-up, The uly was running perfect...Smooth, Idled fine, Now I take it for a ride in the afternoon, Excited that she was running fine now, Then it started idling crappily, Like it did before I changed the vss...Is it possible the errors I assume were on the ecm came back to haunt me?!? I tried the ecmspy route, Then found it wouldn't work with '08 and newer. Is it as simple as clearing the codes from the ecm? (I had taken it to the harley shop once when the battery was swapped out with the good one in it now, The guy just cleared the codes, And it was fine, until this vss error). Could it be a bad tps, After so many miles? I just can't understand why it was great this morning and til i got to my house, Then after a good cool-down and all, It went back to running(idling)like crap again...It's fine, Except for the idling issue, And now popping on decel again...I am perplexed. I am thinking of selling it, It's so damned frustrating. I'm a good mechanic, I just am not used to bikes with fuel injection(my first)I've been riding 45 years, This is the first and only bike that has phantom issues. Can i simply get the ecm cable again and use tunerpro to erase the codes? I'll try another tps reset, I just can't understand the run good/run bad issue!!! damn... :([confused]

ReadyXB
06-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Clearing codes in the ECM won't fix the idling issue :(

For the rough idling, since you seem to have a good mechanical background from the carburetor era, does the exhaust smell rich?

ECMSpy v2 and Tunerpro RT will both work with 2008 and newer models. You will have access to a wealth of "live" data to look at for things like the TPS, idle air control (IAC), EGO correction while idling, etc.

twobuells
06-03-2014, 02:05 AM
Just a guess but your ecm may be cracked. If you can wiggle the terminals where the harness plugs into the ecm it probably is the cause of your problems. The longer you ride the seat base heats up and bends enough to contact the ecm and damage it.

stevengeorgia
06-03-2014, 07:31 PM
The ecm is fine, Except for the calibration...I have tunerpro rt, didn't know there was a newer version of ecmspy To use too. I cleaned the IAC and all, The throttle body is clean too. At least from my past experience, Where the battery was dying, It sent a "low voltage to tps" error, And once they were erased it was fine again. I really do appreciate your help with this, y'all ! I do really like the xb when it's runnin' good, I just need to either get or make a good usb cable to talk to her...And Ready, It is running rich in it's current tune, Could it be the difference in "learn" mode and the actual state of tune it decides? It's definitely a learning curve for me! I'll keep you apprised of the situation...THX again, Twobuells and readyxb...I'll have to get over the "clearing the codes is the problem" mode of thinking, it's just when I took it to a harley shop in raleigh,nc, The "buell guy" Took it in, Cleared the codes, And didn't have it in there for 5 min And it was ok...He didn't even charge me(Good guy!) Y'all are too...She's a keeper, once i get to know her quirks...I've replaced the stator, plugs, wires, basic stuff...It's a good basic layout, I've read about the gremlins in the wiring, etc...I knew it might be a challenge as being a fairly high-mileage bikehttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16544_20130523101733_L.jpg

jonnyk
06-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Changed the plugs in my 08 uly this spring. Took a leisurely one hour ride because it was running soooo sweet. parked it for 3 hours and fired it up to ride home, it coughed sputtered, backfired and limped the mile i needed to get it home, it stalled there and I havent been able to get it started since!!! I've; changed gas, changed plugs,changed plug wires, and ordered and installed a new ebr ecm. no luck .....any ideas.....summers a wastin

stevengeorgia
06-10-2014, 03:38 AM
Daggg! Try the clutch switch, Mine wouldn't start once, it was that...I experience the same thing with the way mine runs! I disconnected the battery, left it overnight, And the next morning(yesterday) I rode 'er 55 miles, And she's fine, I have tried this a couple times, A friend said that unhooking the battery would "reset" the ecm, And will run well for a couple "learn" rides...I had some errors on the ecm, Fan went out, replaced, and works fine, The speedo sensor went out, I unhooked the battery to replace it, And it was running/idling great for those rides, The speedo working fine, etc...Then it started crappin' out again! I'm going to get a usb cable to "talk to 'er", I bought a good used laptop from a friend, have downloaded ecmspy mono and protuner rt with the buell add-on, I have to try, It's only solution, To clean up the ecm to run correctly! So Jonvk, I'll keep you posted. I want to ride too!!! http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16544_20140509190656_L.jpg I had a great trip to the beach last year! Let's get these babies goin! Have you tried disconnecting the battery and see what happens? I'm certain it's in the ecm, Some ghosties that need vanquishing!