PDA

View Full Version : Top end gasket sets

cgborders
06-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Finally (after 2 years of sitting) I've got my 2001 Blast up and running. But have an issue- after I bought it I had to rebuild top end due to a bent valve and damaged piston. I've got it put back together but have a leak at upper pushrod tubes. The guy I bought gaskets/ parts from (old school Harley mechanic) said he always just uses generic O rings and gave me some. They didn't work! Now I have to go in and take the head back off.
Questions:
1) are any of the gaskets/ seals from top end going to be salvageable or will I need all new parts ?(has maybe 100miles on motor, if that)
2) Inexpensive source for gasket sets? (I'm over budget as is and this is killing me)
3) what year/ model/ cc. sportster gaskets are interchangeable? appears I can find those easier.

theMelvster6
06-08-2014, 07:36 AM
They are Viton o-rings on the push rod tubes. Should be the same as xb's. I'm not sure what size they are, they came in the top end gasket kit I bought. Genuine James is good stuff and so is Cometic, but you could try going down to HD dealership.