PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of this Company?

theMelvster6
06-22-2014, 04:30 AM
Daniel Crower Racing...they offer a cam regrind service for the XB Cams (http://danielcrowerracing.com/i-9056196-harley-davidson-sportster-4-cam-buell-xbs.html) for $289. I shot them an email, waiting for a reply. I'm curious about there method of changing the cam grind.

Where we came from: A company history about Daniel Crower Racing

In the 1950’s Bruce Crower debuted his Cams, Fuel Systems and Clutches on the race cars of ‘Big Daddy’ Don Garlits, Indy car legend Jim Rathman, The Unser brothers and many others. From that point forward the Crower name has become one of the most respected in all of racing. Because of his contribution to the racing industry, Bruce Crower was inducted into the Drag Racing Hall of Fame in 1993.

Daniel Crower, Bruce’s son, grew up in the garages and pits of the Indy 500, NHRA and NASCAR watching his dad make camshafts and build engines. Following in his father’s footsteps, Daniel Crower began producing camshafts and other valve train components in the late 1990’s. In 1996, Dan went to the Indy 500 and caught the “racing” bug making his custom camshafts for various teams & Drivers in the Indy Racing league such as Tony Stewart, Sam Schmidt and 1998 winner Eddie Cheever; who used Dan’s custom-made cams when he won.

In the late 90’s when the Yamaha 426 was released, it sparked Dan’s interest once again in motorcycles. Daniel began making cams and testing four strokes and realized that much of what he had learned in auto racing was applicable to four stroke motorcycle engines as well. Daniel raced motorcycles as a kid in San Diego Ca; his kids also raced motorcycles, so he felt like it was a natural progression to add motorcycle components to the parts list. Even though Daniel was branching out into motorcycles he was still involved in the auto racing industry.

In 2003 Daniel was invited to enter the Popular Hot Rodding magazine Engine masters contest. Only 50 engine builders from across the United States were invited to enter. Daniel placed 3rd overall in the national contest, beating out some of NASCARS top engine builders. During the engine masters contest Daniel was featured in Popular Hot Rodding magazine several times. For the last few years Daniels main focus has been on the research and development of new camshafts for the ever evolving engines of the powersports and auto industries. Today, Daniel Crower Racing has become a leader in after-market valve train components for the powersports, automotive and marine industries.

From Camshafts to Rods, Race Heads and Engine Kits, Daniel Crower Racing has got what you need for the ultimate in power!

mrlogix
06-22-2014, 05:07 AM
never heard of Daniel specifically, but have used a lot of Crower Cams for cars. Was always good stuff.

d_adams
06-22-2014, 04:47 PM
They did 1125 cams also, they've been around for a little while anyway.

Cosworth
06-22-2014, 05:07 PM
This company is Crower cams son. I run crowers in my ford lightning

1badtitan90
06-22-2014, 05:51 PM
If he does contact you back be sure that he uses a hardened coating when rewelding or at least heat treated.. I weld and regrind cams at my part time job. Just g r t some info from him. Also some pics too

theMelvster6
06-22-2014, 08:16 PM
I was curious because there isn't much description about the process of the service on their webpage, and at $289...that is a very reasonable price if they provide a quality product and service.

theMelvster6
06-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Harley Davidson sportster 4 cam / Buell XB'S
SKU: HAR - 4CAM - REG
let CP breathe some magic into your Harley Davidson cams , Custom specs for std. bore & stroke or over bore & strokers up to 170 cui. Send us your cams with engine specs compression ratio , fuel requirements and type of transmission and riding style and CP will design the grinds best for your ride.

Description
cam regrinds usually take 3- 5 days turnaround , send in those cams with a knick or ding in the lobes and CP regrinding will fix your cams and make them perform much stronger than original specs.
E spec regrinds - .569" / 309 degrees power full delivery from 4000 to redline. max rpm 8000

RossLH
06-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Wait, Daniel is making cams now too? Daniel's brother, Brian, has a cam company called BC (Brian Crower), and their dad, Bruce runs Crower. Heck of a family business.

theMelvster6
06-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Response:
We do a billet cam from scratch or a regrind depending on what we want to achieve. The e cams are great , we can recut them to run stronger . 400$ .

My reply, waiting for a response:
There aren't many options for Buell XB's...if I gave you specs on what I was looking for, could you do a set on my cores. The advertised price on the webpage is $289. Is that for a basic regrind service?

theMelvster6
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
How do you recut a cam to achieve better performance and higher lift? I can only think of possible cutting the base circle down then recutting the lobe profile...the xb cams are already the smaller base circle...the only way I can see to do this on xb cams is like the redshift cams, and that is cut the lobe completely off then press and weld on a new lobe.

1badtitan90
06-23-2014, 04:39 PM
To gain more lift.. we weld the lobes up and give the cam more lift when we regrind. We take a little out of the base circle but not much. Just enough to clean up the lobe. Been doing this for a few years now on vtwin lawnmower engines for racing and pulling..

1badtitan90
06-23-2014, 04:43 PM
I had a set of red line cams in my Xb, they performed well but I knew they could be better. So I weld and reground them to my specs.. ran perfect when I was done. Gained about 4.5hp and 8lbft after I redid them. Bike was so snappy. No low end bog anywhere..

WIGGLE2
06-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Yes....the CROWER name is big in the camshaft venue. Do not know or have experience with Dan on MC cams, but like mrlogix said earlier, CROWER always had decent products for the V8 world. The ONLY ways to get more lift is drop the BC, weld the lobes, or start with your own core/blank.