PDA

View Full Version : Throttle moves Clutch

byrdock
04-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Just picked up a new 07 Uly and noticed something strange. When I roll the throttle the clutch lever moves in about 1/4-3/8". Clutch works fine, just wondering if this is a Buell quirk or is something slightly out of adjustment?
Thanks,
Jim
NC

Stevenc150
04-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Probably need to adjust your clutch cable play. Might just be out of adjustment and the increased throttling vibrations are causing it to work it's way back.

byrdock
04-06-2009, 05:30 AM
I thought about that but it moves in sync with the throttle. Roll it back and clutch lever moves back, let off and lever moves back forward. It doesn't appear to have any excess play aside from the regular up and down. It doesn't do it unless you're in gear and moving.
Guess maybe it does have too much torque;-)

Stevenc150
04-06-2009, 02:06 PM
[confused] Got me beat. The cables don't intersect anywhere, so aside from vibration and routing through the steering head, I can't see anything they have in common to cause one to directly affect the other like that.

Edit: Maybe you're throttle cable routing is so tight against your clutch cable, it affects it when you roll on & off.....something to check anyway.

LeFox
04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
either what Stevenc150 said in the edit

Maybe you're throttle cable routing is so tight against your clutch cable, it affects it when you roll on & off.....something to check anyway.

your clutchplated are crocked and pushing you diaphragm spring giving your cable more slack [confused]

Stillonit
03-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Hmmmm I have a 2010 with about 700 mile and it does the same thing. give it gas and you feel the clutch cable get some slack . back off on the gas the extra slack goes away.I can watch my clutch lever move back and forth just a little bit by rolling on and off the gas.I sort of figured it was just how these clutches acted. Other than that the clutch and tranny works flawlessly just a little stiff on the shifter from what I am use too. on occasion it will go away and then come back.I figured side to side play from the input shaft of the gearbox. helical cut gear pulls clutch pack towards motor under power and when roll gas off drag from drive tire pushes the pack out thus loosing and tighten the cable oh so slightly

Dutchbuell
04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
The moving clutch lever is nothing to worry about. I noticed it about 60000 miles ago and the clutch never gave me any trouble.