PDA

View Full Version : Handling issue

horseplay
04-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Ok guys..the more I think about this the more it bothers me.
I got my first decent ride in Saturday (before the SNOW!) I hit a curvy nicely paved road outside of town. The first corner was a 40 mph left...bike felt great around that..next corner was a 40mph right...feeling more natural taking right corners I took it a little faster than the left...bike felt like SH!T. Went into the corner well but started bucking around in the front like the road was bumpy. Figured it might be the road "post winter". Next left was fine....next right again...same thing. Pulled over and checked the suspension settings and tire pressure. Everything looked good.
Every right sweeping corner I took that day felt the same way...like the front end wasnt planted and bucking slightly.

Now when I got the bike I noticed some minor scratches on the bottom right swingarm...noticed there WERE frame pucks on at one time. Small scratch on the right footpeg and right chin spoiler. These are very minor and looks like the bike may have fallen over at very low speed if not stopped. Bike has a clean title and I was told was never wrecked. Only has 3k miles

Until I got thinking about it I kind of chalked it up to original old Duncrap 207's. Always hated those tires and Id like to think thats my only problem. Is there anything else I should check or should I wait until the new shoes are on before I jump to conclusions?

Tork
04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Horseplay-

The Dunlops may be contributing to your problem, but I would take the bike to a performance bike shop to have the suspension looked at for damage and proper setup, especially since you've already discovered evidence of other damage. I don't think I would take it to a Harley dealership (I'm finding it increasingly difficult to trust them, especially for repairs that affect safety). A damaged suspension is dangerous and could cause you to go down. At the very least, if your suspension is OK, then having it set up by a pro shop will drastically improve your bike ride and handling. Then upgrade your rubber at your soonest opportunity.

I would also go over all your fork and brake fittings and check to make sure everything is tightened and torqued correctly. Do you feel any front end vibration while riding in the straights? If so, your front wheel may need balancing. My front wheel was severely out of balance from the factory and caused some very funky handling in the corners and front end vibration at 50-60 mph. It cleared up as soon as I replaced my Dunlops. I balance my own wheels now for peace of mind.

Stevenc150
04-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd reset all my suspension settings to the manual just to be sure it's not something that simple. Especially since the rebound & compression settings can't be checked without turning them all the way in and then backing out a specified number of turns.

It wouldn't cost you anything but time and would rule the susp. settings out. Hope it's not the other cause it could get expensive.

horseplay
04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I am going to reset all the settings on the front. Rear feels good. Any suggestions on settings for a 220 lb rider? Street only and aggressive when I get the chance (lots of straight roads here)

When the tires are replaced ...(hopefully very soon as I hate these 207's)...Ill have my shop check over the bike. Theyre pretty good about safety and will most likely check things out for no cost

Thanks guys
Nate

meetch
04-06-2009, 05:54 PM
You should get your hands on a repair manual it has all the recommended suspension adjustments for specific rider weight. Thats what I did and it fixed all my suspension issues.

Stevenc150
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
If you have an Owner's Manual, it is located at the bottom of the "Operation" section. If you don't, here's the link to the one on the Buell.com site. You can look at them for free on there.

- Owner's Manual - Operation (http://www.buell.com/om/99474-05Y_en/file-5.asp)

LeFox
04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
lift the front and turn the wheel...both bearings ok?

move wheel sideways (push upper part and lower) see if there's any free movement...result?

Tork
04-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Check the steering head bearings for play, too.

horseplay
04-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the response guys. I did get a service manual with the bike. I checked all the settings and everythings good. No play in the steering that I could tell at all.
Took it out yesterday and did some more cornering and didnt notice it as much as before....maybe its just me getting use to "more feel" in the front end. Last two bikes I had were an M109R and a TL1000R.
I can tell you I HATE these awful tires and Im going to go into debt to get a new set before I hurt myself and my bike. They slide like crazy and are just all around garbage.

Ill check back in with any new findings once the new tires are on (and the weather allows me to ride comfortably...raining again and 38 degrees)

racepro716
04-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Happened on your first decent ride...a flat spot on the front tire from storage maybe? Worked better the second time out when the tire got warmer maybe? Just guessing

horseplay
05-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Wanted to update this post in case anyone does a search on it and needs an idea. I just changed the tires. Very newish Pilot Power rear and Diablo Corsa front (Great tires and I got them CHEAP)
Putting these on COMPLETELY fixed the problems I was having with handling. So if your having a similar problem...dont panic....Try new tires if all else fails