PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler

Deon B
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I neeed some advice, our bikes run very hot due to the average temp for 9 months of the year being 25 - 32C.

We need a larger oil cooler and it also should be turned to ensure the windfrom entering the core from the front, another option is a small hi power fan!

Remarks and suggestions pls!!![cool]

LeFox
04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
depends on where you live, i suppose...

my fan isn't running while riding, unless i'm going between heavy traffic for some time and it's really hot.

once back at cruising speed, it's all good...

but both are available.

nice mod? get a computer fan (gfx card) and install that in the scoop for the oil cooler...;)

xtremelow
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
I have always wanted to go without a oil cooler to clean up the look. I have been thinking about doing something to pull it in tighter to the body or turn it as you said, guess I will see what happens as I know it is needed so to go without really isn't an option.

maybebuell
04-06-2009, 11:32 PM
i had big v twins that would run on average 230 deg ... hot 90 plus day highway run 250...added a oil cooler oil temp never cracked 200 deg long hard hot highway run 210 deg...i believe in oil coolers...i never seen a temp difference between syn or dyno

chase12s
04-08-2009, 03:02 AM
they need to start making the engines liquid cooled, don't know why they haven't already.

Buellysses
04-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Been under a rock, Chase? I think they're a step ahead of you.

Buell_Cru
04-09-2009, 02:20 AM
I believe the reason they designed it the way they did was to prevent debris from bending and clogging the fins.

taylor
04-09-2009, 02:45 AM
hah good call buellysses. chace, have you heard of the 1125r or 1125cr? although if chace is talking about the xb model's, i have to say a water cooled xb WITHOUT the lobster looking radiator would be perfect. i just dont know exactly how they would pull off that and keep the great buell look.

LionBuell
04-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Hi guys. Where i stay it also gets pretty hot, and the engine temp was bugging me. I have been thinking to increase the size of the plastic scoop (machine one from ali.) to channel more air in. Could that be a solution? Thanks

LeFox
04-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi guys. Where i stay it also gets pretty hot, and the engine temp was bugging me. I have been thinking to increase the size of the plastic scoop (machine one from ali.) to channel more air in. Could that be a solution? Thanks
is your fan running that much?

LionBuell
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi LeFox, i use it for commute in traffic no highway so air flow is not that good. It comes on after every ride even with colder air in the winter now (RSA) it still comes on.Should you not be sleeping;)

LeFox
04-09-2009, 11:06 AM
i'm just on the other side of the equater for you, so we have no time difference ;)

but the fan doesn't run while riding?
if so, there's not so much you can do, unless you want to wrap your headers.
if you're fan doesn't run while riding it just means it at operating temp and not running too hot.

LionBuell
04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I see:D Realised now when i was looking at buellers and photos.The fan doent run while riding. Was planning on wrapping the headers and doing the r h scoop have the ali. sheet just have to find the time now.[up]

Buell_Cru
04-10-2009, 03:42 AM
I wonder if you could add a second oil cooler to the other side or even a bigger cooler and custom scoop and just increase the oil capacity by the capacity of the coolers?

LeFox
04-10-2009, 08:40 AM
like i said, there are bigger coolers around, you just need a switch so you can start out in closed loop so the oil warms faster.

also, aslong as the fan doesn't run while riding, the engine isn't too warm, but it's working at normal (best) operation temperature...no need to add oil capacity or coolers.
bigger coolers are mostly used in race applications.

09XB12Ss
04-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Another option would be to find a company that custom makes aluminum performance radiators and have one made the same size and fittings. They usually have a better heat exchange than the cheaper steel ones. This way it would look stock but perform better. I'm not saying this going to work, since I haven't tried it, but it was an idea that came to mind. I have done this on our extreme Jeeps and it usually works very well. I'm seriously contemplating this if i can find the radiator manufacturer to make the custom setup.

Grrr
05-21-2009, 10:31 PM
When it's only 80*F, in traffic my bike runs SO F**KIN HOT it's CRAZY. It's cookin' my right leg. My fan runs on high all the time in traffic. My bike is detonating BAD. I have to hit the expressway for 10 min to cool it and take it easy with the throttle to keep it from comming apart.

So. Has anybody done anything diffrent than stock with the oil cooler?

Stevenc150
05-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Have you done any exhaust/intake mods? Considered getting it re-mapped? Rich/Lean fueling numbers can make a big difference in operating temps along with running full synthetics.

Grrr
05-22-2009, 07:52 PM
K&N,Buell race muffler,Race ECM,full synthetic Mobil1 20-50 for air cooled v-twin. I guess the breather re-route will be very soon.

Johny Kidd
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I would suggest for those who has heat problems to try Motul 300V Double ester -oil. VERY expensive but reduces heat well[up]

Buell ZA
12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I [Deon B] agree with Lefox that it is of UTMOST importance to get the oil ASAP on operating temperature and that a TO LARGE oil cooler can actually have more damage on the engine that running hot. I have changed to new synthetic oil Castrol Edge 10W60 and the bike is running better. I have wrapped the headers, have the insert below the seat [new insert only for the SS and Ulysses models] and found the whole concept to be much cooler, but my bike still runs hot, the fan continue running even traveling on the highway [160km/h], I am concerned that the fan will not last and have at some stage to replace it, and believe me in the RSA you are talking of ZAR 3500+, a rip-off, but that is what the Harley shops charge, do anyone know of any ‘generic’ parts???