PDA

View Full Version : An exhausting change

NOMORE4s4ME
05-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Wow. When I got my new Jardine slip on in over the weekend I was psyched. I woke up at 5:30 sat morning just to get it on...I was so excited. Step one of the dirstions said to remove fairing and old exhaust. Thats easy enough. Fairing came of in two seconds, and thats when all hell broke loose. I quickly realized the directions given to me were total ****e. It said I might have to disconect "one" of the oil lines in order to take a bolt out. Well all you have to do is push the line to the side and remove the bolt. The hard part lies in romoving the bracket for the old exhaust. You have to disconect all three oil lines in order to take it off. Its physically impossible otherwise. I just drained the oil and disconnected all three lines so I could leave them off for this entire process. They should also tell you that only if you plan on returning the front fairing to your bike do you even need to mess with all those brackets. The one that attaches to the tension wheel is a bear to get on. Well, after about 2 1/2hrs my new Jardine pipe is fitted. Really loud! My only gripe is that its still seems to be running a little lean. Nothing I wont be able to deal with. For the money its a great way to announce your bike presence to anyone within a half mile. Just use common sense when installing the thing and leave those directions to do what they were ment to do, keep oil drops off your garage floor.

mrdozer2you
05-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Lol, tell me about it. First thing I did when I look at the destructions was laugh, then throw them away. I didn't disconnect any oil lines. All you have to do is completely unscrew the factory bracket clamps that hold the factory pipe on. Then slide them around the oil lines. DUH!!!!! why make all the extra work??? Took me about 2hrs to do mine. 1 1/2 hours looking at everything and sorting my sockets, wrenches etc....and 1/2 hour actually installing it.

NOMORE4s4ME
05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
The factory bracket could not be slid around the oil lines. All three lines ran through the center of the bracket and were attached on either end to the bike somewhere. How did you get the bracket off without unhooking the lines somewhere? The clamps came off by just unscrewing them...but the bracket itself had an inbroken hole in the center where the lines ran through. What year and model bike do you have. Mines a '05 XB12s.

mrdozer2you
05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
If by bracket you mean the silver part near the rear of the stock exhaust. The part where the oil lines run through? I left it on. I re-used the clamps from the stock pipe instead of the new smaller ones.

NOMORE4s4ME
05-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I thought so. I looked at it and thought if you could get that off without disconnecting all the lines, than you were either a magician, or your bike had a different bracket. I thought about doing that, but eventually said screw it and decided to remove it. How do you like the sound?

mrdozer2you
05-31-2007, 05:24 PM
The sound......what? :p

NOMORE4s4ME
06-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Of the pipe?

mrdozer2you
06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
LMAO I was saying that because now my bike's so loud i'm deaf a bit.

NOMORE4s4ME
06-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Ha ha. Thats true. I thought about using ear plugs right after my first ride with the new pipe but now it doesnt bother me so much. Loud as hell though.

BuellPastor
07-17-2007, 02:29 AM
Loud like straight pipes? I want louder, but I do work at a church! :) I listened to the sound of the Jardine on the Exhaust Shootout Test report and on that the Jardine did not sound any louder. Guess it wasn't that accurate? Do these pipes fit within most noise ordinance laws? Thanks.

MrOrange
07-17-2007, 02:49 AM
The best thing about the Jardine is that it gets louder as the glass blows out of it over time.:D For some that is faster than others...

LeFox
07-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Guess it wasn't that accurate? Do these pipes fit within most noise ordinance laws? Thanks.

nope, live the sound is much different.

if you want the straight pipe loudness, you need a force-setup, but that will cost you $$$ en low end performance.

jardine goes round 120db (max here is 103db):D

BuellPastor
07-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the response. I definitely do NOT want straight-pipe loudness. Nor do I want to hurt the low end. With the Jardine, I have heard the sound is louder and higher pitched. But hopefully one could tell it is a v-twin. I love the sound of a v-twin. I would say it was the only disappointing thing about the Buell. Not terribly so, but I did expect more sound. BTW, I bought this thing 9 days ago (a new 06 Lightning) and have ridden it every day - even in the rash of T-Storms we are having - and i just love this bike. My old bike was an awesome FJR1300. A truly wonderful bike - fast, stable, elec wndshield - all of the toys. I am having way more fun on the Lightning. The only thing I haven't done is get on the expressway. I am still in my break-in period. I'm wondering how much I will be blown around once I do. I have this crazy desire to take a long trip on this thing.

LeFox
07-17-2007, 04:12 PM
My old bike was an awesome FJR1300. A truly wonderful bike - fast, stable, elec wndshield - all of the toys. I am having way more fun on the Lightning.

now that's what a buell is all about [up]

and you can still hear that it's a vtwin with the jardine ;)

NOMORE4s4ME
07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
believe me when I tell you...once you put a jardine on...everyone within a quarter mile will know its a v-twin. i get compliments all the time on how my bike sounds...by harley, and rice riders.

firechickenXB9R
02-26-2009, 03:08 PM
I go to the Bike hang (Shell 51st & Memorial) and when i pull in everyone still stops and looks. I just repacked my Jardine with Ceremic Wool and the bike is smoother and more fun (controlled wheelies) then before not to mention its is quiter then it was. I love my Jardine

NOMORE4s4ME
02-26-2009, 03:50 PM
where did you get the wool. how did you repac it. if I drill out the rivets, how do I reattach the end.

firechickenXB9R
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I picked it up at a local fire safety supply house. They had some scrap (FREEBIE). Then I tore it into small pieces and started packing them in filling all sides. Pack from the input end. You can find it on the internet, just goggle Ceramic Wool. It has a burn temp of 3000 degs. Ounce you drill out the old rivets just put new rivets back in. USE STEEL or STAINLESS STEEL Aluminum can vibrate out.

WULFGODSXB
02-27-2009, 12:40 AM
i was told to wrap a layer of stainless steel wool around core and then he ceramic wool to max longevity of the ceramic wool. to get the steel wool i was told to go to a marine shop and the wool you get from a pottery supply house they use in kilms

LeFox
02-27-2009, 07:56 AM
i was told to wrap a layer of stainless steel wool around core and then he ceramic wool to max longevity of the ceramic wool. to get the steel wool i was told to go to a marine shop and the wool you get from a pottery supply house they use in kilms
[up]

also, don't tear it but roll it around the inner tube.

firechickenXB9R
02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
You don’t want to wrap or roll it around the inner tube. The ceramic wool is so dense that it will not absorb the exhaust correctly. The best is to tear it in to small to medium pieces and pack it down into the exhaust can. The iner tube has a screen wrapped around it.