PDA

View Full Version : Buell Blast speed limit?

shendo
07-11-2014, 03:29 PM
So I'm slowly troubleshooting all the issues on my blast and thanks to this forum, I have been able to do most of the repairs thus far. Now, I'm wondering what the issue is in regards to how fast my blast goes. The more I've been reading in forums, the more I'm seeing that my blast seems to rev pretty high for not so high of a speed (in regards to shifting at higher rpms/speed) and that I have to really open the throttle fully just to get to 70 - 75 mph in 5th! What could possible be causing this to happen? I should be able to get to 75 no problem right?

Thanks,

Nick

Cosworth
07-11-2014, 03:31 PM
75 is about max for the blast.

shendo
07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
really? :(

Cosworth
07-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Maybe 85ish.. downhill with a strong tailwind :D

loco85
07-11-2014, 07:44 PM
I get 65~70 mph no problem on 4th, 85 easy on 5th, never pass this but could go more. Book max is 96~97. It could be your primary too tight. Go to www.buellridersonline.com for the recommended adjustment method.

ratsblast
07-11-2014, 08:32 PM
You should be able to cruise between 80-85mph no problem. The bike will feel like it is gonna blow the piston out the top end, but it won't cause any damage.

TooFst
07-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Mine (I bought a new one in 03 and traded it in the next yr) would do a solid 85+. Now that was a fresh bike. I'd still have to think 75 mph, something's not right...

fishgutz
07-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Depends on the weight of the rider. :D

mrlogix
07-11-2014, 11:19 PM
has the final drive ratio been changed?

Cosworth
07-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Well first of all what are your RPM's at 75mph, rev limit is 6500 on the blast. I had a blast several years ago and I never had it over 88-90mph and that was pushing it pretty hard. Im also not a big guy so extra weight wasnt an issue.

Cosworth
07-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I was thinking about this, this morning and realized the blast doesn't come stock with a tachometer. Have you installed one or why do you think the rpms are too high

arikam
07-13-2014, 03:13 PM
I had mine at full throttle for 30 minutes straight on the highway and it didn't get over 75 mph.

shendo
07-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I was camping this weekend and drove the Blast about 90 miles out, still struggling to get to 75+ on flat highway road.

I weigh about 140 so I don't think that would be too much of an issue and I bought the bike used so I'm not sure about the final drive ratio? How would I check/adjust that to optimal settings?

No, I haven't put on a tachometer so I can't really tell my actual RPM range so I'm just judging by sound...anyone recommends a good rpm tachometer or may replace with one that tells both speed and rpm?

I'm going to check on how to adjust my primary later today. I saw a video on youtube, but doing it by sound is tough for me to hear on the video and I've never done it before so the sound is pretty alien to me.

Thanks all!

djs2k2
07-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Sorry I giggled! An xb will get you where you need to go!

jetlee
07-14-2014, 05:12 PM
A healthy, properly maintained, bone-STOCK Blast will do 96mph on the rev limiter in 5th. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Only adjust the primary when the engine/trans are at proper operating temperature.
-Loosen your primary bolt until you hear it clacking, you'll know it when you hear it. Tighten it until you just barely hear the sound stop. Tighten the lock nut.

-IF YOU NEVER HEAR THE CLACKING-
It's not a bad thing, you just have a slightly tighter chain than most.
-Loosen the bolt way way out. Using ungloved fingers and a very light touch, screw the bolt in until you feel it press against something. Turn it back 1/2 turn. Tighten the lock nut.

Adjust your clutch at the primary following the instructions in the manual.
http://buellmods.com/index.php/viewcategory/11-blast

You could also be jetted incorrectly, depending on your modifications and elevation.

Go to www.buellridersonline.com
Best response in this thread.

Cosworth
07-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Ill step aside on this one, honestly I dont know much about the blast's didnt have mine very long. So I apologize for any incorrect information. Was just going off experience with the one I had personally.

shendo
07-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Cosworth - No worries, I appreciate your willingness to help and I believe that's what these forums are for yea?

Jetlee - your wisdom is once again appreciated. The bike has no mods on it that I know of, but I do remember the guy who sold it to me said he upgraded the cylinder (I thought he was just bs'ing me). I will try adjusting the primary and also re-jetting. Will keep the thread updated as I try these fixes out!

Thanks again to all

jetlee
07-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Do the primary and clutch and see how it responds to those.

Don't rejet if you don't have to. Perhaps open it to find out exactly what jets you do have.

shendo
07-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks, will do and report back

shendo
08-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Finally got some time to try adjust this primary chain and I can't even budge the locknut or chain limiting screw... prob going to have to go to my buddy's garage and use his tools...and the adventure continues!