PDA

View Full Version : Backfire/Misfire at WOT - Runs well at low rpm & idle

TheSandeman
07-13-2014, 01:23 AM
Newb to the Blast and bikes in general, not a mechanic by trade but I'm pretty motor savvy. I appreciate any and all help/comments in advance. THANKS fellow Thumpers!

SITUATION:
Purchased a 2005 Blast a week ago and it idles and runs well at half throttle. When you go over 1/2 throttle to WOT it loses power, pops from the intake/carb area as well as the exhaust. This occurs in Neutral as well as gears 1-5. Previous owner wasn't too knowledgeable so I didn't get much info from him apart from the bike was sitting a little less than a year and received an oil change around the same time.

BIKE SPECS:
2005 Buell Blast
1825 Miles
Recently changed oil & filter
Have a copy of the Service Repair Manual

WHAT I'VE CHECKED:
We've taken the carb off half a dozen times, inspected, cleaned it.
Checked the Gas but seems to be fine- doesn't smell bad or dirty.
Spark plug is in tact and looks clean and new.
Intake doesn't seem to be the issue
Doesnt seem to be dropped
No oil leak coming from the rocker or manifold (cleaned the area and ran the bike for a while to confirm)

WHAT I'VE NOTICED:
Seems to be a vacuum/air leak
Bike dies when spraying carb cleaner where the intake manifold meets. (could it be a bad gasket?)

Again i appreciate everyone's help in advance, I'm at wits end trying to find the solution to having this bike run properly half way into riding season. Cant wait to ride the Blast when its running right!

ReadyXB
07-13-2014, 02:07 AM
Seems to be a vacuum/air leak
Bike dies when spraying carb cleaner where the intake manifold meets. (could it be a bad gasket?)
I would recommend fixing the manifold vacuum leak before attempting any further troubleshooting!

ReadyXB
07-13-2014, 02:12 AM
And welcome, btw!