PDA

View Full Version : surge at constant 2100 5 th gear

Tray3
07-24-2014, 01:28 AM
Very new to 2006 Xb12x. Two things I am curious about it seems to not like chugging the engine at all. Low rpm with 4 th or 5 the gear cause engine to shut down with red light on. It is a bad habit I developed on my 95 Fxsts 1340, (I know I need to stop doing this), however it very rarely died. Once it dies it only will only turn over after key is shut off and turned back on. hard to do In the road with traffic behind you. I also noticed a mild surge when in 5th At 40 mph, 2100 rpm , it seems like it has small miss, but rolling the throttle it comes back to life. Any ideas of why it will not stay steady at this range? Love the Buell ride, I should have bought one along time ago and thank this board for letting me in.

oh9bolt
07-24-2014, 01:46 AM
5th at 40mph lol

Keep the bike at higher rpms

fishxb12
07-24-2014, 02:09 AM
When I cruise in town (35-40 mph) I am in 3rd gear.

Tray3
07-24-2014, 02:56 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice, I will change my rpm habits and keep it wound up. It does seem to prefer more throttle, just wanted to make sure I did not have a mechanical , electrical, or fuel issue. I have an addition question does the xb 12 b x have a over heat shut down system? It appeared to shut down the other day in houston afternoon traffic heat, but restarted after 3 minutes. It seem real hot on the right side, and the fan was screaming.

ReadyXB
07-24-2014, 03:43 AM
I also noticed a mild surge when in 5th At 40 mph, 2100 rpm , it seems like it has small miss, but rolling the throttle it comes back to life.
Awe, come on guys! Nothing wrong with that. I do it all the time. There's even a note in the service manual for testing the charging system that says "Rider’s habits may require output test at lower RPM" :)
Seriously, it does sound like you have an issue though.

Regarding the temperatures, the right side does get hot normally. If the engine temperature goes too high, the check engine light will blink (it has happened to me before in summertime rush hour Atlanta GA traffic). The light comes on around 280C with a 5 degree hysteresis to turn back off. The computer has several levels of spark adjustment to (soft/hard) to try and reduce the temp. If it continues to climb (305C, which is crazy hot), the computer supposedly kills the spark entirely (I've never verified that, though).

Was your check engine lamp blinking?

buellxb9rs
07-24-2014, 12:32 PM
I have a larger throttlebody and header but even before that, once I tuned the bike I have no surging in any gear. Running at a higher rpm will keep it from, doing that but tuning it would be even better

wolfo68
07-25-2014, 01:19 PM
for an XB12 you should be a minimum of 2500 RPM

Yes, if they overheat the bike will first shut down the rear cylinder and then kill the motor if it gets too hot.

user_deleted
07-25-2014, 02:01 PM
tray: i don't promote red-lining these motors at every shift but they are big bore, high compression, aggressive 4-camshaft specs, and in general a fairly high-strung state of tune. i'm on my 7th XB and to a bike.....none of them like to be lugged and will respond accordingly to let you know it. the H-D big-twin crowd and in particular those sporting pirate costumes seem to enjoy 1250rmp shift points. bad bad business on a buell.

jstav
07-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Hi, I'm in Houston, own a Uly that is running pretty good, so if you want to meet up sometime and compare rides, I'm down.