PDA

View Full Version : Whining clutch

chiboy
04-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Has anyone heard a whining noise as your disengage the clutch coming from a complete stop? It sounds like an electric motor when you move it manually. The sound is only just as its disengaging. Once the clutch is completely out and in gear, the sound goes away.
Any ideas? I am new to the XB as I had a M2 before.

Stevenc150
04-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Never had that happen to me. I do know there's 2 places for clutch adjustment.

-One is on the right side of the bike inside of a rubber "boot" thing you can adjust amount of cable play.

-The other, the one you probably need to look at adjusting, is behind you're clutch cover on the Primary. Hopefully, adjusting this one will fix your problem.

Just Click the "Buell Service Manuals" link at the top of this page. Dowload one of the Service Manuals and save. A very valuable, and FREE resource. It might not match your bike for year/model exactly, but the clutch adjustments on all XB's are basically identical.

And Welcome to the Forum. :)[up]

FIDOSOL
04-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Check inside your primary and look for anything that might be rubbing where it shouldn't. New noises are often caused by a new occurence. Also look for metal shavings in your primary fluid.

chiboy
04-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I did try to the clutch adjustment in front of the motor behind the rubber boot. I took out some slack in the cable. It helped a little in terms of how loud the whine is, but its still there. I am hoping that I dont need a new clutch.

Stevenc150
04-11-2009, 02:29 AM
I did try to the clutch adjustment in front of the motor behind the rubber boot. I took out some slack in the cable. It helped a little in terms of how loud the whine is, but its still there.
Forgot to mention earlier, most importantly, check you're primary fluid level and make sure it's good.

There's still one clutch adj. you can try. Use a service manual and adjust the actual clutch with the screw that is behind the small clutch cover on your primary. (It's the same cover you have to take off to check Primary fluid level.)

Hopefully it's gone after all that. If not adjust you're primary chain per manual also. Hope you get it sorted.

chiboy
04-11-2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks Steven.. I will try those when it gets a little warmer.

LeFox
04-11-2009, 07:24 AM
it is most likely that your bearing (#15 in manual, 6ยง10) is in need of replacement.

chiboy
04-13-2009, 05:20 AM
LeFox. Are you referring to the bearing in figure 6-12?
If so that shouldnt be too bad to replace since I shouldn't have to pull the whole assembly out.

LeFox
04-13-2009, 07:52 AM
bearing #15 in pic 6.9 clutch assembly
or #6 in pic 6.12 adjusting screw assembly

close-up #2 in pic 6.13

that is the bearing that, when pulling clutch in, it starts rolling with the axle so your plates disengage.
wear on that bearing will give you a whining sound.

...ooh yea, possible cause could be overheating, so check your clutch for other signs of heat.

chiboy
04-13-2009, 09:33 PM
ok thanks.. maybe I will just take it in and have the clutch replaced to be safe esp since it is right there. Thank again LeFox.

LeFox
04-14-2009, 08:02 AM
no problem ;)[up]

Nikolai
08-13-2010, 08:06 PM
I have the exact symptoms here in Minneapolis on an '03 Buell Lightning. St. Paul Harley looked at the bike and essentially said that there is a total tranny meltdown going on and they want $3600 to rebuild. [mad]

redrider
08-14-2010, 09:39 AM
That is such an easy repair and low cost! buy the part and try it these are bike are a breeze to wrench on let us know how it turns out.

Nikolai
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM
redrider you're kidding right? Repairing the transmission requires a complete engine disassembly, down to splitting the engine case. The tools needed to replace the dogs alone are hundreds $$$.

I did it, though. Took me months of research and work after hours. Now I have essentially a new engine, new tranny. The bike runs like crap though: power coming from only one cylinder. I think my ECM is utterly confused.