PDA

View Full Version : Airbox Delete on a 09 XB12Ss question

RichMc_09XB12Ss
04-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I just did the Airbox Delete and Breather Reroute kit from ASB. That really smoothed out the low-RPM range and I am very pleased with the results after a short test ride around the neighborhood.

I had read on another post that when doing this on a XB12 and keeping the stock exhaust, that you need to keep the servo that controls the exhaust valve and drill an additional hole in the top plate to enable mounting of the controller.

Of course, the engine light came on when I ran it (only for a couple of minutes) with the controller completely disconnected. I did not do any irreverable cuts - just disconnected it.

I have a Drummer on order that I plan on installing along with ceramic-coated headers already on hand as soon as it come in. They said the drummer would probably be a couple of weeks.

So, my questions are...

Will it hurt anything to run in the current status with the controller disconneted and still having the stock exhaust for a few weeks until the Drummer comes in?

When I get the Drummer on, can anything be done to keep the engine light from being on? Also, what to do with the electroninc cable that went to the controller and the cable running down to the exhaust?

I hate to drill a hole in the top plate just to mount the controller then have to find a way to plug it up once I get the Drummer on since it gets rid of that completely.

Also, any additional feedback that I have not thought about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

dave_xb12r
04-10-2009, 05:44 PM
I was at a dealership the other day and one of the salesmen told me that he has a xb12r and to make it sound better, he disconnected the servo, used the cable to pull the exhaust open(what the servo does) and he left it like that so it would be louder. I'm sure it doesn't help performance, but it's an interesting idea.

I would try to relocate the servo in a temporary spot, then when you get your drummer, do the servo eliminator

RichMc_09XB12Ss
04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info, Dave. From reading other posts, I had not heard anything about a servo eliminator. I assumed something needed to be done, but didn't know exactly what. I found it on ASB and now ordered for when I get the Drummer in.

Thanks again - everyone's info here has been very usefull to me as I am a newbie to Buells.

09XB12Ss
04-10-2009, 06:41 PM
You can get from ASB a servo emulator. It basically tricks the computer to think you have the whole setup still plugged in. I use it on my 09 XB12Ss and it works great. ASB Servo Emulator Link (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=9313&sid=cq1a428842z38ax48201459b1503f1on)

Stevenc150
04-10-2009, 07:19 PM
When I get the Drummer on, can anything be done to keep the engine light from being on? Also, what to do with the electroninc cable that went to the controller and the cable running down to the exhaust?
The newer "learning" ECM's like you have on your '09, will compensate to an extent for the airbox delete and new exhaust, but not entirely.

The best thing for the life of your engine, would be to get a custom map from Xoptiinside.com. It's not too costly and he will make custom maps tailored for the mods that you will have done on your bike. He'll be able to turn the exhuast servo off through ECMSpy, effectively letting you rip out everything associated with it, including the emulator. It's only a long-term suggestion for you to consider and it's probably the best thing for your bike. [up]

09XB12Ss
04-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I agree with Steven. The only problem is the wait period for Xopti to reply. I'm still waiting for reply from him concerning remapping my 09 XB12. He must be swamped with requests. Hopefully one day he'll reply.

big b
04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I think Mike xopti just had some sort of surgery. He is also working on some other tuning system for the 08 and 09's. Direct link I think.