PDA

View Full Version : First CEL 09 Uly Code 21

Tbone
07-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Well have my first CEL, Code 21, not bad for 3 years and about 18K miles.

After analyzing I unplugged the exhaust actuator because it felt very warm, almost hot to the touch and that is without the bike running. I also did the cable ties on the actuator cable to hold it open. Runs very well and sounds great at idle.

The question is will it perform as well without it or should I replace it? It does sound cool though.
If you go without the actuator how do you get the ECM to quit complaining? I think I saw a thread where I can gut the actuator put some resistors, and or coils in it?

Tbone
07-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Ok, looked around and think an ecm spy cable and software is the best way to turn off the Exhaust Actuator in the ECM? Less electro-mechanical equipment and cables to fail in the future.

Possibly tune the bike to run better with a K&N Air filter on the intake as well as with a wired open or after market exhaust. Can I maintain the same economy, 42 to 44 mpg? Close to 40 mpg with 2 up riding and luggage? Or should my expectations of economy be gone if I take this route?

user_deleted
07-29-2014, 09:13 AM
2009 ulysses? you'll need tuner pro-rt or similarly compatible software and cable to clear your codes and remove interactive exhaust section of your ecm. or you can unplug the stock actuator plug and install and emulator. available online and takes the place of factory plug. or if you think the activator module is heating up from failing muffler valve simply unhook cable at valve and let it free. then check activator module atop your airbox cover and see what you have. i have a 2010 uly and have found with that with a K&N and wired open exhaust valve the bike did not fuel very cleanly and was incredibly annoying to ride in that condition. your results may vary.

okey
07-29-2014, 11:07 AM
The servo actuator motor was stuffed on mine . I noticed the main plastic gear was buckled from the heat and seized occasionally which made my cell illuminate . I have mine opened at all times but ended up buying a new unit , plugging it in and leaving the cable disconnected . The new ones are sealed and have metal gears I believe

ReadyXB
07-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Hi Tbone, if you end up needing a diagnostics cable, I build and sell those (https://readyxb.wordpress.com/). They are very high quality.

One quick test you can do on the servo without any software is a) hold the throttle wide open, then b) turn On the Ignition and Run/Stop switch. The servo should make a full sweep back and forth.

If the servo is bad and you decide not to replace it, as lunaticfringe mentioned either Tunerpro RT (http://www.tunerpro.net) or ECMSpy for Mono (http://www.ecmspy.com/) plus the cable will let you disable the Interactive Exhaust feature.

gammax
07-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Id highly recomend getting the bluetooth one and using ecmdroid, one button from the phone and the cel can be cleared and the servo can be eliminated! I built myne for around 8 bucks.... stupid simple! Many how to's on Buellxb. PM me if you have any questions. Oh and it will do data logging while riding directly to your phone!

ReadyXB
07-29-2014, 05:03 PM
If you go the bluetooth route, forum member buellxb9rs sells them! (my bt modules are still undergoing extensive testing).

Tbone
07-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Took out the actuator and opened it up. I could see nothing wrong with it. Removed the gears and popped the motor out of it and still did not see anything wrong. It must have gotten jammed some how? Put it all back together and it worked? I left the actuator cable off with the gate opened all the way. You are right Lunatic... it has a flat spot at 3500 rpms. That must be higher rpms than where the valve would normally operate?
Realistically can a Uly be tuned to run as well without it? Hope so, do not want to hook this thing back up to the exhaust and really want to get it out of the airbox where it takes up valuable space.
OK, ready to proceed with tuning the ECM with the goals of removing the Actuator and Maintaining the economy. Do not want to race a Uly, I just want to load it down while 2 up and ride the crap out of it for the next 35 years?
Here comes the questions:.
What tuner do you recommend? Is there one better for economy and longevity than the other?
I have an I-phone 4G, will it work with the ecmdroid mentioned above or is there some other tuner(s) compatible?
Is there a bluetooth plug for the Buell ECM available for purchase or do I have to Fab one? ans. buellxb9rs makes & sells these.
Does the phone app work as a stand alone tuner, or do you need to use the phone app with a computer? I imagine you would be able to use a computer/phone to transfer files to and from your phone,ECM, Internet, etc...?
All the tuning is done through the 4 pin connector under the seat vent right? I found what looks like a 3 pin connector or plug with red lugs on the front of it next to the left side air scoop, anyone know what this is for?
Really do not know what else to ask at this point. Thanks for the information so far.