PDA

View Full Version : I got to ride an 1125R!

dave_xb12r
04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
My friend and I traded bikes(his 1125R and my XB12R) for a short ride and OH MY...... that bike is FAST!!!
end up killing myself by doing something stupid.

Well first off, I'll start with how it felt to sit on. The bike felt lighter, with a higher center of gravity. It must be that giant fairing! Seating was about the same as my bike, with the same arm reach, but the shifter and brake levers up a little higher, so it didn't feel as aggressive.

First gear seemed higher than mine, and it took a bit more slipping the clutch to get it rolling, but once you're moving at about 15 mph, it just wanted to go. The engine being a higher reving motor, didn't like anything under 3k rpm.

4 of us were riding together and we did a little race starting at 65mph, and I dropped from 5th to 3rd and got on it. This thing takes off like a rocket!! And I was only at about 3/4 throttle! I instantly left them all behind and they never had a chance. I'm not talking about waking away, it was like a smart car vs an ascari A10.

Breaking felt a bit softer than my bike, but that could have been just how he had it set up.

Later we got back on our own bikes and the 2 of us had one last small race, where both of us gave it everything. The 1125R walked my XB12R until about 80mph, where his walk turned into a run and he left me in the dust.

Sorry, I didn't take it in any twistys, so I can tell you how that is, but from what I felt, it is an amazing motorcycle. Would I buy one for myself? No, that is for sure. If i was to describe it in 2 words, it would be "Scary Fast" I would either be like thaloc and get too many tickets(sorry buddy!), or I would end up killing myself by doing something stupid. I'm perfectly happy on my torque monster, but it was definitely fun to ride. If you come across a Buell demo day, or have a friend that has an 1125R, see if you can take it out for a ride. Make sure you relieve yourself first though, because you don't want to soil a seat that's not yours.

ROJO
04-11-2009, 04:49 PM
LOL, nice read sir. I want to ride one.

onelogue
04-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Ya I saw a youtube video of a 1125r dino ride and just watching that scared me! Check it out<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o0A9nbjnCpo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o0A9nbjnCpo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LeFox
04-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Ya I saw a youtube video of a 1125r dino ride and just watching that scared me! Check it
the idiot didn't tighten the straps...

still prefer my xbs in looks, sound and in the twisties ;)

but wouldn't mind getting my hands one a cheap 1125r for some trackdays :p

dave_xb12r
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Looks like he tightened the straps before he sat on in and not after like he should have

racepro716
04-12-2009, 01:57 AM
I,ve had an 1125 out for about an hour. Serious as a heart attack, stupid fast. If the law happened to be watching I lost my licence about 20 times. BUT...sorry, it's ugly, and the CR, don't even get me started. I could have bought the R cheaper than my 08 firebolt but would have hated looking at the damn thing. However, If you EVER get the chance to ride one, DO IT !!!

Wayne

hendro
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Agreed^^^

Took one for a test ride at a dealer last tuesday and man is it a grinner...:)

SOOO much faster pickup than my bolt, but doesn't sound as nasty as mine, and it had the jardine can on it, as does mine. Amazing bike tho, will probably upgrade in a year or so, or if buell comes out with something completely new.

Midnight82
07-08-2009, 04:56 PM
That's awesome, I want to get my hands on one.

ADAMLEE
07-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I had the chance to do a demo ride about a year ago. I put about 40 miles on it.

Overall it was pretty amazing. I thought the bike was confortable and had tons of high rpm power. I felt it was a bit slugish off the line compared to my XB12Ss. Easy enough to get into trouble for sure, gets crazy fast.

My problem with this bike and the Firebolts is something my brother brought up (he currently owns an '06 XB12R). The bikes are trying to look the part but not quite play the part, especially the Firebolt. I love the Lightnings due to how different they look, no one expects them to do anything other than look amazing. The 1125 and the R look like race bikes, to the common eye, but there not. The 1125 races in the AMA 600 class, not SBK. Kinda crazy that the times at laguna seca were only 3 seconds apart from SS to SBK. The Buell, race model, can't get 3 seconds faster in a lap? Seems like a sub-par litre bike for a on par price w/ more for labor cost's.

I know there is always going to be a debate about what you get out of a buell and what you wish you could get out of the Buell. Not trying to start that up. But for people like my brother, there going to move up to a bike that plays the part because of the desire to own a race bike. Even if he harldy ever uses it.

I would never buy the 1125, I will keep my XB12Ss and continue to mod it until it's a unique bike. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. I love the usable power and the looks of the bike. i just can't see buying the 1125.

Dragonslayer
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
The Firebolt tries to be a race bike but isn't? I was not even thinking about a track when I bought mine. I bought it for the twisties and nothing else. You think a Firebolt is a Gixxer or CBR wannabe? You must be a flatlander with nothing but straight roads to ride. Here, guys on R1s and Gixxers have tried to catch me, and 90% of them can't do it. I love it when the rice burner boys go into their bag of excuses. "We'll have to ride again when I don't have a headache." I could care less about going 180mph in a straight line. The curves is what seperates the men from the boys, and when it comes to the curves I do not ride a bike that "tries to look the part but can't quite play the part".

toddb3
07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
I hear ya Dragonslayer, after owning a couple of CBR's 97 900RR & 05 1000RR I do feel that my 12R is a little slow in certain areas, but I have never had as much fun on any other bike on the road. I would like to see someone fit an 1125R engine in a 12R frame!

Dragonslayer
07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
At Buell Homecoming I rode a XB12R and 1125R on the track (my first track day). If I were a track person, I would take the 1125R over the Firebolt. For the twisties, I choose the XB12R over the 1125R (or any other bike for that matter). When the 1125R was introduced, several people asked me if I was gonna buy one. I said "No need. Got everything I want already".

taildraggin
07-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Hello,

First post from a Buell watcher on this topic.

My brother-in-law suggested last year that I try his 1125R. Yesterday I found it in my shed with a note to let it warm up before riding. (Do you remember the parking attendant scene from Ferris Bueller?)

My background in bikes is pretty tame, I started in the dirt and had fast japanese bikes in the early '80s. Thought it was a bad numbers game and started riding first a Triumph then a restored a XLCR which I still have with other old iron Harleys (put 5k miles on a 80" 1940 flathead last year). Have 2 taildragger aircraft, so I've maintained reasonable mechanical skills. But, not much of this translates into riding skill for a modern track-capable bike, however I think I have enough of a clue to pick up what's going on.

In short, I took the bike out last evening and was completely bowled. I need to get better acquainted with it but I do have some early observations.

It's much more appealing in person. The low angle shots in the media stress the big cheeks, but the fairing becomes the focus in person and the bike in total simply looks 'no-nonsense'.

It also looks compact, but big and heavy. When you get on and push it around though, it is light and handy. Very deceiving.

Riding, it appears to have a dual personality, fine around town, but you know it wants to show you what it can do on a track. It was easy for a novice like me to saddle up and go. I don't know how competitive it is racing, but I imagine that it would be staggering fun on a track. The handling gets better the faster it goes.

BIL's has the jardine muff with baffle and it sounds awesome. It absolutely snarls and the closed-throttle pops have you grinning stupidly. Powering through multiple curves is braaaaap, mmmmpoppop, braaaaaap...

I familiarized myself at first by practicing hard stops and brake feel and the first one I truly felt my eyes pulling out of their sockets and getting ahead of the fairing. (This is an area where I can't comprehend 'new bike' improvement). The back felt dummy proof - progressive and hard to lock.

Gear choices are remarkably numerous - often didn't know what gear I was in and it doesn't really matter. It just torques through. Valve gear noise does increase if you lug it. Clutching was often optional. Snick, in.

To my mind, the press describe the R in a manner that puts the R in a position that Ducati and Laverda held in the '70s - attractive, on the right track, but not completely sorted out.

I have to disagree. BIL's early one had all the original problems and I was expecting surging and hiccups, but the ECU mods have worked and I haven't found any bad bits on the road. My only find is a little (on-off throttle) lash, which you notice only because everything else is so tight and working so well.

It has considerable capability in a 90-160mph range, a place I don't really need to go. If I had any hope of getting on a track every once in awhile, this would be it.

In the end, I'm torn by it. On one hand, it does everything beautifully, but it is far more capable than I am. That's my problem, not the bike's.

When I was a kid, I noticed that all the Corvettes and Ferraris I saw were driven by geezers who didn't go faster than 60mph. My thoughts are now that I might try one of the milder, aircooled XBs. I am just old and slow. (No offense meant to XB owners - they make 'sense', if that can be applied to motorcycles in any way).

Not supporting this argument is the fact that the R is relatively inexpensive. For the same money, it is the bike that 'does it all.'

If there is any imperfection with the XB though, I'll be back to the 1125R in a flash. It is a remarkable motorcycle.

I can be the geezer with the Ferrari, too.

- Charlie

dave_xb12r
07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice review Charlie! To me, the 1125R was a bike similar to the jap bikes all over the road. You have to have it up over the speed limit before you're really having fun. Although I haven't ridden the 1125CR, I would think that the problem has been fixed with its lower gearing for street use. To me, the 1125R is an amazing piece of machinery, but unless its being used as a track bike, it's a little unpractical.

Now you said you might try an XB first. I think it's a great idea. The thing I like about my XB is that I have fun on it at any speed. It's fun between stoplights, and also between the twisties. And they're going on 7 years old and they are still sexy as hell.

[up]

taildraggin
07-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Spent the day with it today, and I see what you mean about it being a track bike, Dave. I have 2 road choices, a 2 lane highway or the 'main' road. The R prefers the faster road. Needed the speed to keep my weight off the hands and to keep from getting bored. (On my old Harleys 45 mph is exciting and comfortable. It's a bit of a chore on these fast bikes.)

I did light the wick today a bit and had a ball, pushing farther toward a still very distant edge. Oh, the mirrors are buzzy and make it hard to spot the police you're always looking for. Magnificent. To me, it's kind of an American Ducati. I just like it because it is so good at what it is, even if it isn't what I need.

I'm wondering if an 'RS' kit might be ideal. Bit taller and wider bars (keep same fairing), more 'open' footpegs and the CR's gearing? Nah, I'd still be doing 100 in 3rd. I'm going to check the XB9...

dave_xb12r
07-13-2009, 12:43 AM
taildraggin, it sounds like you need to try the CR. There is a bar option that uses the XBS bars.

The XBR uses the same bars as the 1125R. It took a little over 1000 miles for me to get comfortable with the bar position. Make sure you're elbows are bent, use your abs, and keep your chin up. Keeping your chin up will keep your back straight.

ADAMLEE
07-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Dragonslayer,

WTF? Get over it troll. Did I hurt your feelings by posting that R's are inferior in the race world.

I live about a 1/2 hr from some great mountian riding and not to far away from the coast riding as well. So I guess you must be the Highlander of this site. "There can be only one"

First off I describe the looks and how they don't quite compare in preformance to similar looks. Mostly in the race world. Sure your the man at cornering, and you don't get headaches. I wish I was like you.

Seriously though, I was comparing the track versions for the most part. I love my xb12Ss and what Buell brings to the table. The OP was curious about the new bike. Not your R. So my disapointment came from Buell putting out a sub-par bike for it's class. Your simply defending something I never attacked, i only stated the truth. Wether you like it or not your XB12R is an inferior bike. You may be the best rider, but your not riding the best bike.

Go flame someone else you troll.