PDA

View Full Version : SX Demo Ride?

Jcastro4089
08-05-2014, 12:57 AM
I'm in Austin, TX for work and walked past AF1 motorcycles and saw a SX in the window. I found a forum post on EBR where they said they allow demo rides. I'm really considering it, but I didn't bring any of my gear with me since I didn't expect this opportunity, and I try to be a ATGATT kinda rider. I've only been on the road for a year with my XB9S, so I know this is gonna be a completely different bike, making me REALLY wish I had my gear to ride around in downtown Austin.

What do you guys think? I don't have an EBR dealer nearby, so this may be my only chance to demo for a LONG time.

d_adams
08-05-2014, 01:10 AM
Don't ride it.

You were warned.

Seriously.

You'll end up buying it....

Sirius815
08-05-2014, 01:48 AM
+1

Theycallmecrash
08-05-2014, 02:11 AM
I rode the RX today. Wow, its got so much more than I expected.

My advise, is dont ride it unless you are confident in your riding abilities, and know how to control wheelies.
It did make me want an SX and if financing all works out ill have one ordered by the end of the month

Sirius815
08-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm not experienced at all with wheelies and the SX never lifted on me.....key point - don't get too hamfisted with the throttle (which I didn't), ride to your abilities (which I did). I had a blast on the SX...needs to be geared better though. I was short shifting the hell out of it.

Enemy Zero
08-05-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm hoping my dealer here gets one in. I want to test ride it bad. Unfortunately with the RX, they won't let you test ride without a down payment and credit check. I hope they relax a little with the SX.

ljm
08-06-2014, 05:47 AM
Go see Ed at AF1. The SX they have is a demo they are good guys. However, as Dean said, it is a dangerous business. You will ride it and want one.

Enemy Zero
08-06-2014, 06:25 AM
If I was in Austin, I'd be there today. I've got nothing but great things to say about AF1 from back when I had an Aprilia. Stand up guys and they are knowledgable and great to deal with. I have no doubt they're excited and ready to do what it takes to get people behind EBR and on the product. I wish I could say the same about our local Las Vegas dealer. Sadly, they don't say much about them and seem to push Triumph more than anything else.

Jcastro4089
08-06-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm planning to go Thursday at lunch. I know you guys are right, riding one will only make me want one even more! But I'll kick myself if I don't take advantage of this opportunity.

Jcastro4089
08-07-2014, 01:16 AM
I went today and I'm glad I did. It felt lighter than my XB9S. It rolled easier, pushing it backwards was easy. But in the end, I prefer my XB. It only had 5.2 miles on it (#32) so I took it easy. Maybe a few times I got to 7k, but just for a second. I know that's where the power starts, but up to that point it felt similar to my XB, if maybe weaker. It reminded me why I chose the XB, because of its personality. I like its sounds, it vibration. This one didn't sound nearly as good to me, I didn't hear it and think "I must have it!" like I did when I first saw an XB.

Don't get me wrong, the SX was cool. It felt like a dirt bike to me, easy to flick around, and i guess the RPM range gave it that feeling too.

I'm glad that I rode it because it made me appreciate what I have. I may update to a newer XB someday, but I didn't see anything today that convinced me to continue saving up.

I just thought I'd share this. Also, I have to mention this, AF1 was awesome. Great guy, nice experience, and they made the demo ride experience easy. The also had 2 RX, black and red, to go along with their white SX. Just in case anyone else is interested in going there for a demo.

Jcastro4089
08-07-2014, 01:40 AM
I know ... pics or it didn't happen! :)

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8384_20140806193620_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8384_20140806193721_L.jpg

Enemy Zero
08-07-2014, 02:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/bCftDwJ.jpg

REVIEW! :D

Jcastro4089
08-07-2014, 03:07 AM
:)

My review was in the post above the pictures.

Summary:

The 1190SX made my appreciate my XB9S. This was new, flashy, clean, no oil leaks! but it just didn't have the same soul as my XB. I missed the exhaust sound, I missed the vibration.

I don't ride fast. I don't do wheelies. I haven't taken my Buell above 80. I enjoy taking off from stop signs and traffic lights. I enjoy blipping the throttle to hear the engine.

The low end grunt is what I missed on this 1190SX. I stalled it right off the bat. I'm used to taking off without needing throttle, I couldn't do that here. After a few minutes I had this clutch figured out though.

I have no doubt this engine screams. I could feel it ready to lunge when I backed off @ 7k.

But I don't want to be at 7k. By 4k, I'm ready to shift. I don't need speed, I guess I just want torque. And I'm sure this bike has it, it just didn't feel as fun for me.

I don't mean to make the experience sound bad, because it wasn't. It's a great bike, top of the line I'm sure. Its just that for me, I realize I don't ride in the zone were this bike excels. I putt around, and I like to make noise when I do.

I like people looking at me wondering why my "Ducati" sounds like a Harley. I like looking at my Buell, it's simple. No plastic around fans and radiators.

I mean no disrespect to anyone with an EBR. I'm glad you have one, I want EBR to succeed, world domination! lol But I guess today I found out that I like my bleeding, dirty, noisy Lightning more. And that's ok with me.

mrlogix
08-07-2014, 04:03 AM
I definitely would love to have one, but to each his own. If the XB makes you happy, so be it. [cool]

Enemy Zero
08-07-2014, 04:15 AM
hahaha. I totally missed the review. I was reading it on mobile and it must not have loaded right. Oh well. Thanks for the insight. I want to try one out badly but I've always got that "my bike is paid for" thing in the back of my mind. Not to mention the fact that the motor feel/vibration quirks have really grown on me.

Quadrajet
08-07-2014, 06:01 AM
Before I go into the meat of my post, I should mention a couple of things that I heard from an EBR guy (can't recall his name) while waiting to go on the test ride. Everyone may already know this, but just in case it's breaking news...here you go.

1. He mentioned that they're concentrating on smaller displacement bikes and even mentioned a 250!

2. I asked him "I heard that before Buell was shut down, you guys were working on an offroad bike?" and he said that it was more along the lines of a KLR type dual sport. I don't know if they'll ever go back to working on that, but who knows?

3. I didn't ask this, but wish I had and will if I ever get another chance - Will EBR will ever come out with an air cooled bike like the XB again?

Ok, all that being said, I was able to test ride both bikes a couple of weeks ago and I really, really liked the SX. So modern, so clean, so smooth and quiet; however, I find myself in the same situation as Jcastro4089. I read his post, and with the exception of the "never taken it over 80", I was double checking to make sure I hadn't written it myself. At times I find myself wanting something quieter, smoother, more refined...but then I hop on my XB12S and fall in love all over again. Of course a person can KEEP their XB and get something else, which is exactly what I would do if I ever pulled the trigger on a modern EBR. The thing is, within the next couple of years I will be in the market for an adventure tourer and I am extremely interested in seeing what the AX will have to offer. If the RX and SX are any indication of the what's to come with the AX, I have a feeling it will be the perfect, smooth, quiet, refined bike for me.

WIGGLE2
08-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I CAN relate to Jcastro for sure....I LOVE my XB for what it is. But....I STILL want an SX!!

mriulvr
08-07-2014, 04:25 PM
[up]

I CAN relate to Jcastro for sure....I LOVE my XB for what it is. But....I STILL want an SX!!

There is an SX just up the road that I have been back and forth on going to check out. I also LOVE my XB12S and to be honest, feel a little guilty about checking out another bike. Almost like I am cheating on her. I love her simplicity, the ability to easily [smirk] do nearly all the maintenance, and her sounds, vibrations, and character are what makes me enjoy her. I still smile when I fire her up and finish a ride. It doesn't sound like the RX and SX have, as Jcastro said, that same "soul" as the Buell's. Doesn't mean that is a bad thing and I may fall in love all over again, if I give in to that little voice that keeps saying, "just go take a look. What can it hurt?"

Cosworth
08-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Its acceptable to own more than one, just be sure to spread your seat time equally Buells get jealous :D

Jcastro4089
08-07-2014, 07:47 PM
I agree that it can't hurt to check it out. Again, I enjoyed the demo ride. I'm really glad I did it. If I had the extra cash, I'd love to have a SX to go with my Lightning. But I have to admit, the idea of making payments doesn't sound fun when my current Buell is paid for. All I wanted to say is I personally wouldn't trade my XB for a SX. If I can afford a second bike some day, I want it to be a EBR, so I'm excited to see what models they continue to release in the future when I hopefully will have a piggy bank saved up!

arikam
08-08-2014, 02:56 AM
This is possibly a dumb question, what's the AX? Also, I love my 2006 xb12r.

Quadrajet
08-08-2014, 05:21 AM
The AX is supposed to be the adventure-touring model, a modern day Ulysses I suppose.

njdevils1990
08-12-2014, 10:31 AM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/Nirvana12211990/745237_zpscoiblphc.jpg

Not my picture but, saw one off these at Flemington Yamaha/EBR when I dropped my FZ-07 off for service. Did a quick search and it is a limited edition of 50. Not sure on any price difference but I love the colour.

Sirius815
08-12-2014, 12:12 PM
That is a very nice color indeed! I wish the white piece on the radiator cover were color matched as well.

Matteson
08-12-2014, 12:20 PM
So let me get this straight. The EBR rotor upgrade( factory on the 1190), clutch weep is fixed, stator problem resolved. Looks like the headers on a full system with our 1125's. Plus the 1190 kit. Sounds like my next bike.

WIGGLE2
08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
I wish the white piece on the radiator cover were color matched as well.
I'm personally not sure...that might be almost TOO much blue! The white is just enough 'contrast' . But it IS nice looking! I wonder WHY it isn't offered as a color option?

oh9bolt
08-12-2014, 01:02 PM
^[up][up]

meoff_69
08-13-2014, 09:08 AM
that piece on the radiators is not actually white... it just looks like it. Its a grey color. almost an unfinished aluminum color.

the whole reason i bought a white one was so that that piece would match and it doesnt even match the white one..... [confused]