PDA

View Full Version : Head removal without dropping engine?

wooden
08-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Bought an 07 Blast with 2400 miles on it, and within 400 miles one of the two bolts holding the exhaust onto the head sheared... My guess is someone overtightened the sucker. Unfortunately, I failed to get it out and now need to take the head into a mechanic or machine shop.

I don't have a motorcycle engine jack or other hydraulic table, and would like to avoid buying one if possible, so here I am - can you get the head off a Blast easily (relatively) without dropping the engine? I can at least prop the engine up with something but I'm having a hard time getting a wrench on one of the bolts holding the front isolator to the head - it's just too tight against the frame to get my socket wrench on there. It seems like I need to raise the engine to get that bolt high enough above the frame for my wrench to fit, hoping there's just something I'm missing.

Thanks!

wooden
08-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Guess I didn't need any info after all - managed to prop up the engine a bit with a sturdy toolbox and some plywood and was able to get at that bolt much easier. Now to pick up some 12 point external torx drivers and get that head off there completely.

ReadyXB
08-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting your results so far as it will likely help someone else in the future.

jetlee
08-06-2014, 04:44 PM
I used a standard 12-point socket. Works fine, held up to torque specs without issues.

Theycallmecrash
08-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Those exhaust studs probably broke do to the exhaust system not mounted or secured properly